Back in the Old County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the Old County

Using this map as a basis, has anyone (or their families, I suppose) changed county (without changing actual location) in their lifetime and, if so, what changes has it brought, if any?

I found this map when I was looking for a map of England where the counties 'before London' were marked. I suppose there is a sub-question, which is 'which old county within what-is-now-London do you live in?'

Back in the Old County

before my home town "moved" from lancashire to greater manchester there were a lot less tedious-as-fuck letters to the paper arguing about which county they live in. that's about all, i think. unless you want to make a tenuous argument about how cutting us off from "proper" lancashire has fed accent change. i've heard this argument once and thought it was a bit crackers.

m'lady knows a ton of people that were born in gorky in the ussr, and now live in nizhny novgorod in russia.

Comment

Back in the Old County

Ah, what a map that is. Every time I look at it, there's another I haven't heard of. What on earth's going on with the Western Isles?

I think the happiest I could possibly be would be watching all those counties play cricket.

Comment

Back in the Old County

We moved from the West Riding, which included the birth place of my parents and all my grandparents to South Yorkshire, which is more my father's patch; my mother retrospectively coming from a West Yorkshire family.

The West Riding was a brilliant county, almost the biggest county in its own right.

Comment

Back in the Old County

Here are the county towns of the above:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_town

I'd never heard of Appleby, Westmoreland.

Rothesay, Bute can't exactly be a metropolis either. I think an Earl of Bute was once Prime Minister. I'm surprised he didn't get laughed back to his island.

Comment

Back in the Old County

Rothesay is however bigger than Dornoch and Wigtown.

Comment

Back in the Old County

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
              I'd never heard of Appleby, Westmoreland.
              It's the site of the famous Horse Fair. I was in a pub in Appleby watching England beat Australia at Trent Bridge. I'm sure I wrote about it at the time.

Comment

Back in the Old County

i've been to wigtown. it's fantastic.

Comment

Back in the Old County

It says here it's Scotland's Hay-On-Wye. That's good enough for me.

I can't remember that, GO.

Comment

Back in the Old County

Another great thing about that map is it shows my two favourite bits of local government : Dunbartonshire (detached) and Flint (detached). What was the point of them?

Comment

Back in the Old County

I think Hull changed from being in Humberside to being back in Yorkshire the time I was at University there.

Comment

Working...
                      X