Fascist Violence on The Streets of London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    And you can't help but link this with Brexit, though all too few have. Brexit has helped make racism and xenophobia respectable, helped the far right cannibalise "respectable" or "normal" prejudices and resentments; and this is the single worst thing about the 2016 referendum result. And yet hardcore Remainers tend not to have made this a big issue, preferring to pick through the details and idiocies of what this might mean for trade, markets etc. Which is all well and good, but if a sizable rump of people are making the big issue the chance to turn against foreigns, Muslims and immigrants, then it's not gonna have much impact. Lexiters, meanwhile, clutch their hands over their ears at the mere connection of the issues.

I'm not sure about laying this at the door of 'hardcore remainers'. If they did try to say anything about the ground being made more welcoming for racists and xenophobes they would be (and have been) told that they were throwing shit at Gillian Duffy's windows and were only really concerned about customs adding an hour onto the Eurostar journey to Avignon. The emphasis on the likely economic consequences of Brexit has been, I thought, an attempt to engage on the wider issues without immediately being accused of despising everyone outside the M25. Given the number of outright appeasers of and apologists for the far right strains coming through, they are hardly the most culpable group. The problem here is that the Brexit loons and their pilot fish are prepared to lie harder, stoop lower and disregard the consequences more recklessly than any non-sociopathic opponents can easily cope with.

Comment

I'm thinking that hardcore remainers should have directed the arguments around an increase in racism/xenophobia to less hardcore fellow-remainers and lexiters. But that's not really been their line of attack against such people.

The economic arguments are key in other aspects, I agree

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
        I'm thinking that hardcore remainers should have directed the arguments around an increase in racism/xenophobia to less hardcore fellow-remainers and lexiters. But that's not really been their line of attack against such people.

The economic arguments are key in other aspects, I agree
        I think part of the problem has been over the last two decades there's been plenty of opposition to fascism but much less to the mainstreaming of fascistic policy.

The BNP as a group were contained in 2010, and then politically defeated, the EDL frustrated until they splintered. UKIP teetered on the verge of a breakthrough before falling on their arse.

But all the while politicians from all the major parties and the media kept ratcheting up the racism, without significant opposition - often directly appropriating the policies and rhetoric from the extreme right. Brexit is a symptom of this, not a cause.

Resistance to fascism needs to be built from resistance to state violence - detention, deportation, racist police harassment. In a way, 5,000 fascists in Westminster are far less of a threat to the people affected by far-right violence than the every-day intimidation and racist violence meted out by the state.

Comment

Yeah I think that's a decent point. We tend to congratulate ourselves at every BNP/Ukip etc electoral implosion, even though the things that caused their rise in the first place haven't gone away

Comment

Proper The Smiths earworm with this thread title, btw. Fitting, you could argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
              Another fascist pleads guilty to plotting to murder a Labour Mp
              I was thinking one way to tie the general anti-fascist and anti-racist campaign that's necessary into challenging the kind of general flag-waving uber-brexit mood would be to have anniversary events for Jo Cox, pointing out that she was murdered not by a 'lone nutter' but someone with clear links to Britain First, and that the rhetoric of UKIP and Tory Right (and Mail-Express etc) of 'traitors' was also a huge contributory factor.

Comment

Interesting (though hardly surprising) to read that David Parnham, the suspect behind the "Punish a Muslim Day" campaign, appears to have been one of those who signed the nomination papers for a UKIP candidate in local council elections in Lincoln.

Comment

Of course they did

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1017967554734841857?s=21

Comment

RMT deputy General Sec attacked by Hate not hope fascists

https://twitter.com/hopenothate/status/1018205593784463360

Comment

Working...
                    X