any of them there OTF plumbers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'all made your way on to the new board yet?

I have a question that I would be ever so grateful if you could help with.

Can be of no assistance due to general diy incompetence. But I'd like to say that I think it's great that for just about any problem, someone here will have a solution.

A great help to you, EIM, I know.

Hope you get it sorted. And I hope it's not any personal plumbing you're talking about.

Comment

OI, ere'y'are. I'm not looking for free advice or anything.

(Actually, that's a lie, that's exactly what I am looking for. But it's not directly about pipes and plumbs and that)

Comment

'sup?

Comment

You have private mail. Or you will have in a minute.

Comment

Sent you the longest reply the system permits. There's more to say, but that might be better done over a pint at the Meadow of Kings one of these Saturdays.

Comment

Cheers, PG.

Comment

OK. So having bought a flat, and trying to get a ton of work done, I had a person come in and cost up tearing out the old conventional boiler and water tank, and replacing it with a combination boiler thingy.

He's come back with a price that I thought was utterly scandalous, so if some OTF plumber (or other) could give an order-of-magnitude estimation of how much it should cost to do that, I'd be very grateful and buy you a pint if I ever met you.

Comment

few questions:

how many bathrooms in the flat?
                  how many bedrooms?
                  double glazed?
                  how old does the existing system look?
                  what sort of condition are the radiators in?
                  Have you got thermostatic radiator valves?
                  is it a conversion flat or purpose-built?
                  wood or concrete floors?
                  where will the boiler be going relative to the gas meter and any waste water pipework?
                  What sort of condition is the existing control system in (programmer & thermostat?)

Comment

Anywhere between £2,500 - £3,500 depending on the time it'd take to do the job, parts and boiler type. I'm assuming they'll be flushing out the old heating system so the new boiler can run uninhibited too.

Comment

They'd better, otherwise the warranty won't be valid. The main question is how many radiators and how much of the pipework will need replacing. A combi boiler may well also need a new gas main as an old system boiler can easily ruin of 15 mm. Combis often require 22mm.

But Ibn is right about the cost of a vanilla job. Once you start replacing radiators and pipework, fitting condensate pumps, running new gas mains etc you can end up looking at nearer 6 grand if things go against you.

Comment

Oh, and make sure the boiler is a Vaillant.

Comment

Flat with 2 bedrooms, not changing radiators. Some question about whether there's a 22mm line all the way in to the kitchen. 2.5-3.5 would have been my guess; something up around 5 grand seemed very steep.

Many thanks for the pointers.

(Double glazed, 2 bathrooms, only expect to run one shower at a time, need thermostats on radiators, quite exotic looking plumbing connecting to underfloor heating, conversion flat but extension, er, I think that's it).

Comment

Where are you based TCC?

PG - indeed, though I know a few reports of the flush not being done. Deliberate or not I don't know, but it certainly would increase the profit margin and the time spent on site...might even get called back to service the boiler when it goes wrong!

Comment

London. SW17.

Comment

5 grand is definitely over the odds, by the sound of it.

A year ago I'd have put in for the job. As it is I can give you a very good recommendation of a plumber who can do it for you, certainly at less that what you've been quoted. And I can guarantee he'll do a better job.

PM me if you want his details.

Comment

Working...
                                X