Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex, Drugs, Oil... "a culture of ethical failure"

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/11/america/interior.php

The report alleges that eight officials in the royalty program accepted gifts from energy companies whose value exceeded limits set by ethics rules. These included golf and skiing outings; meals and drinks; and tickets to a concert of the country musician Toby Keith, a Houston Texans football game and a Colorado Rockies baseball game.

The investigation also concluded that several of the officials "frequently consumed alcohol at industry functions, had used cocaine and marijuana, and had sexual relationships with oil and gas company representatives."
    Wow. You really can't make this stuff up any better.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cocaine22.gif

Corruption in land management shocker.

Rockies and Texans games? If I were going for graft, I'd want Astros and Broncos tickets, at least.

Comment

It's true, you do wonder about that.

This group is apparently responsible for the leases given for offshore drilling. Big surprise.

Comment

One of my uncles worked for decades for the IRS, in a division that handled taxation of mining companies (sorry, I don't know specifics), and he said that there were obvious differences in enforcement between Democratic and Republican administrations.

Comment

As various blogs have commented, it looks like they took "Drill, baby, drill" a bit too seriously.

Comment

Working...
          X