So, chaps - housework, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you do, how regularly and how meticulously?

Would you do as much (if applicable) if your missus/girlfriend/partner didn't give you so much abuse about it?

I write this after a great afternoon spent cleaning the interior of all the kitchen units here at Ant Towers. Needless to say, there are millions of things I would rather have done, but I though it politic to do something.

I am still on my well-earned holiday and Mrs. Ant has long been back at work. My morning today consisted of a run early doors and a quick trip to the supermarket for razorblades and beer. I had already agreed to make lunch, so I thought it only reasonable to grab my book and a beer and sit down for an hour. Sadly, my timing was askew, because Mrs. A took it upon herself to start cleaning the bathrooms. This is always a signal for bad temper on her part, but today she began to berate me for a perceived lack of commmitment in the housework-sharing stakes. In my heart of hearts, I had to agree with her, but I got to thinking - am I alone in this, is this normal and/or am I really selfish and bone idle?

I always make the bed and do the hoovering, and I often cook lunch and/or dinner. I iron on a need-to-wear basis, it's almost always me who does the local errands and I never leave dirty plates lying around.

Her beef is that I never clean the bathrooms or windows or do any meaningful ironing, and any major housework operation is done or at least has to be suggested by her. An example was given of the cleaning of kitchen cupboards, which led to me biting the bullet/going into burning martyr mode and doing it (a three-hour job!) this afternoon.

I felt like pointing out that whilst never pretending to be perfect, I'm sure I do more housework than most blokes, and she should be grateful for small mercies. On relection, though, I kept this to myself.

We did this a while back. I do most of the housework, in small bits here and there. When my wife cleans, it's usually because she's had enough and goes on a major cleaning binge. So I do cleaning more often, but the apartment looks better after she's done it.

Comment

The Lovely Mrs Gymshorts (TM) and I have just spent an entertaining couple of hours cleaning our flat.

I'm in charge of hoovering.

Comment

I always rinse the sink round after I've pissed in it.

Sometimes I rinse the pots and pans off, too.

Comment

Her beef is that I never clean the bathrooms or windows or do any meaningful ironing, and any major housework operation is done or at least has to be suggested by her.

I felt like pointing out that whilst never pretending to be perfect, I'm sure I do more housework than most blokes, and she should be grateful for small mercies. On relection, though, I kept this to myself.
          These bits are both me. I think, if it were up to me, I'd be doing laundry when everyone was down to their last clean...whatever. I'm nowhere near proactive enough to run a household, and I catch hell for it.

My (weak) argument is that I worry about the stuff that she doesn't need to, like the cars (repairs, tags, gas, insurance, etc) and all the bills and the mortgage and lawn mowing, etc. But it really doesn't cut much ice with her.

Mrs WOM's big gripe is meal planning, which I'm shit at and make no effort. In my defense, she shoots down all my ideas so I've long-ago given up making suggestions, and things just go round and round.

[I love hoovering and ironing.]

Comment

Is this a sexist thread, or can anyone reply?

I'm selfish and bone idle. I think my father's side of the family is missing the cleaning gene.

It's probably one of my top reasons for preferring the single life, to be honest. Only I can nag me about not cleaning the bathroom or ironing. I usually tell myself to STFU.

Comment

Ant van Oviedo wrote:
              a quick trip to the supermarket for razorblades and beer.
              haha! is the beer to dull the pain of the blade or is it the other way round?

you sound like you do *a lot* more housework than me...what's this ironing thing you speak of?

Comment

I'm confused. Was Mrs. Ant cleaning the bathrooms on her lunch break from work? I like my place clean, but I wouldn't go that far.

Comment

The long, tall and short of it is that neither of us do any until one of us (and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason behind which one it will be) cracks, and there follows a several hour long blitz, followed by a couple of hours in the pub to celebrate our new found cleanliness.

Comment

Mrs WOM's big gripe is meal planning
                    Funny that- I get abuse for too much meal-planning, her argument being I spend all day thinking about stuffing my face.

Harsh, but essentially fair.

Comment

Was Mrs. Ant cleaning the bathrooms on her lunch break from work?
                      Ha! No, she leaves for work at 5.00 p.m. It doesn't look too great if I am still having a siesta at that point.

Comment

I'm with FF here, it's another one of the great things about being single (along with being allowed to put your shoes on the bed).

Comment

Ant van Oviedo wrote:
                          and/or am I really selfish and bone idle?
                          YES!

Comment

TonTon wrote:
                            I'm with FF here, it's another one of the great things about being single (along with being allowed to put your shoes on the bed).
                            And drinking from the milk container; leaving the toilet lid/seat in whatever position you want it to be in; leaving dishes in the sink if you can't be bothered to clean them; having meals that don't require "meal planning"...

Comment

Shoes on in bed, you say? Well, that's another fifteen seconds saved every morning.

Ah.

Comment

well, P and I have been living together for 3 weeks so far.
                                I do all the housework. And cooking. She did iron a shirt for me the other day though.

To be fair, she works longer hours than me and she was also completely rubbish at cleaning when she was living alone so I knew what was coming. I used to go round there and end up tidying her flat. I've managed to cajole her into not leaving stuff laying around for days on end though. Baby steps.
                                And to be honest I'd rather do it myself and it be clean.

Comment

I am a househusband so I have to do it or sleep on a park bench.

Recently, however, I have become a student which means that, because of the massive 15 hours a week it takes out of my housework time, Mrs Bored has decided we need a cleaner.

This has led to me being very pissed off with the cleaner as I don't think she is doing it as well as I do.

This week, as she was on holiday, I went anddid all the cleaning and timed myself to see what she should bedoing.

I should be ashamed of myself and would rather do the cleaning myself

Comment

I'm an expert at folding laundry that the missus expertly washes as well as excellent loader of utensils, etc. that come from the washing machine.

I do most of the yard work, can make some mean burritos, but am eternally grateful for her work to make our home look decent

Comment

I'm an expert at folding laundry that the missus expertly washes as well as excellent loader of utensils, etc. that come from the washing machine.
                                      Ah, yes. I can fold and stack, too. And the dishwasher is entirely my domain: loading in, running, emptying out.

One day....still can't quite believe it...I saw her wiping the counter (which, when she's finished, usually looks like she's wiped it with a stick of butter) and she proceeds to take the accumulated crumb-pile, open the front of the dishwasher, and sweep it into the machine. I almost crapped.

I mean...do I fucking clean my paintbrushes in the kitchen sink??? (Well, yes, but still...)

Comment

It's not rocket science.

Comment

We tend to comprpmise, but as we only have one room to clean it's not that hard, especially seeing as we don't. Ever.

That's the thing with tidying; once you do it just gets messy again, so why bother?

Comment

I do pretty much all the housework and shopping..she does the cooking if it's more complicated than warming up something..she goes out to work..I lie in the bath reading in the mornings and then do whatever chores she's left instructions for :-)

Comment

I clean my flat the day before my god-daughter comes on one of her thrice-yearly visits.

Comment

Working...
                                              X