Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    When things change is peak efficacy.
    The demos and riots can’t change policy. They can only get people to pay attention and I think they’ve done all the can do for now. Maybe wait and come back every few months.

Comment

Of course they can change policy. How else do you think policy changes?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The demos and riots can’t change policy. They can only get people to pay attention and I think they’ve done all the can do for now. Maybe wait and come back every few months.
        Yes, they do.
        You notice all of a sudden nobody is spouting that, "there is nothing we can do" or "the law is the law" bollocks where all politicians of all levels turn round and point the finger at each other.
        The sight of downtown burning sure does concentrate the mind

Without the demonstrations, the officers would have been on administrative leave and there would have been no charges.

With any demand there has to be an or else, we have now seen there is a price for the unlawful killing of a black man and it is hundreds of million of dollars and the President hiding in his bunker like its the middle of the Cuban Missile crisis.

So the next time the politicians come to the black community and we demand an end to police violence or else, they have a fair idea what that or else means.

Comment

More crying

I would prefer he stayed on the board and work to purge his site from all the White Supremecists who congregate there.

As for Alex, the credit is diminished.
          He has been with a black woman for a few years now. The same woman who has received plenty of racist abuse from the website you have profited from.

Comment

Sorry TG deleted because i didn't intend to link to the crying,

this should work, i think

https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/1268944657679036422?s=20

[No it doesn't]

Comment

Of course they can change policy. How else do you think policy changes?
              They get people to care and then those people vote to change policy.

Comment

They get people to care and then those people vote to change policy.
                I don't mean to sound rude but this seems awfully naive.

Comment

Well, there’s a lot more to it than that, but getting lots of people to pay attention and care is necessary, but not sufficient, for political change. They don’t change anything on their own.

Protests and riots may serve other purposes for participants too.

Comment

What Hot Pepsi does not realise is there is no political party that has pledged (until now) to do anything about police violence on the black community.

Plus with the increased likelyhood of death from Coronavirus and police brutality, many simply wont make it to November.....

Comment

HP has been perfectly clear. Demonstrations inspire policy change, policy makers enact policy change.

Comment

And policy change (if it ever comes) might be too late for many. Sadly those in power are still not serious and would rather engage in delay tactics

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                          HP has been perfectly clear. Demonstrations inspire policy change, policy makers enact policy change.
                          If I have mistakenly represented his position, I apologize.

Comment

At least, I hope so.

I also think they are a valuable emotional outlet for people and connect people who may otherwise feel isolated or defeated.

Comment

I think demos can and do make change. Here in Romania people have come out on the streets a number of times in the past few years and forced the government to go back on things. I mean technically the government had to climb down and reverse a policy decision, but it was the demos that made that happen . See also the poll tax in the UK.

(Then of course there is real deep change created by people on the streets as here in 1989)

Comment

Would you describe the founding of the United States of America as a policy change by the British government?
                                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 06-06-2020, 07:29.

Comment

Poll tax and women’s suffrage two British examples being cited a lot in answer to ‘(violent) protest changes nothing’

Comment

The police and Criminal Evidence act is a direct response to the riots of 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                      Poll tax and women’s suffrage two British examples being cited a lot in answer to ‘(violent) protest changes nothing’
                                      "Better broken windows than broken promises"

Comment

Would you describe the founding of the United States of America as a policy change by the British government?
                                        Nobody has suggested that it reduces to that.

Comment

We had nearly 30 years of continuous political violence in this country, my hometown street being a regular flashpoint. Yet it took 24 of those years before John Major banned the UDA (one of the main paramilitary groups)

I will leave the panel to reconsider whether this is an argument for more protest violence or less...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                            We had nearly 30 years of continuous political violence in this country, my hometown street being a regular flashpoint. Yet it took 24 of those years before John Major banned the UDA (one of the main paramilitary groups)

I will leave the panel to reconsider whether this is an argument for more protest violence or less...
                                            DG, on the US police misconduct thread I was asking if anyone had experience of/perspectives on political events leading to changes to police culture. I was wondering how successful the changes in NI and SA had been as the best examples I could think of in this respect and I had you and G-Man as people who might know.

How effective was the RUC --> PSNI move in changing attitudes? Was it mainly a rebranding exercise?

Comment

I do not believe a full-scale revolutionary war against the US military in 2020 is winnable or that the outcome would be what the current protesters really want.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

DG, on the US police misconduct thread I was asking if anyone had experience of/perspectives on political events leading to changes to police culture. I was wondering how successful the changes in NI and SA had been as the best examples I could think of in this respect and I had you and G-Man as people who might know.

How effective was the RUC --> PSNI move in changing attitudes? Was it mainly a rebranding exercise?
                                                As you asked Duncan, it's more in his wheelhouse, but it's generally been successful. There has been a lot more engagement on both sides, apart from the lunatic fringe on both sides that you can't do anything about.

Comment

I do not believe a full-scale revolutionary war against the US military in 2020 is winnable or that the outcome would be what the current protesters really want.
                                                  So we’re agreed that protests can bring about change.

those are two different questions that you’ve answered, neither of which I asked.

Comment

You asked a question that didn't need to be asked, because it didn't arise from anything anyone had said or implied. HP made a very basic point, that protests are the beginning but not the end of policy change, and you persisted with this weird need to disprove something he hadn't said.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X