No announcement yet.

The White Supremacy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sundown towns were generally small enough so as to be able to function without a Black population (many of them would have had restrictive covenants prohibiting sales to Black people from the outset), while at the same time "needing" a source of exploitable menial and household labour. In some cases, they would have primarily Black settlements just beyond their municipal boundaries that were effectively part of the town or city itself, but importantly not part of it for voting purposes or with regard to the provision of any public services.

Comment

Following Ursus link. led me to this article regarding the Coup of Wilmington in 1898. I would urge anyone with a passing interest of real American history to have a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...lection-trump/

Comment

An absolutely essential incident to any real understanding of our history and one that was buried even deeper than Tulsa until recently.

I have a younger (white) colleague who grew up in Wilmington and was completely unaware of its existence until after he graduated from law school.
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 02-06-2021, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          An absolutely essential incident to any real understanding of our history and one that was buried even deeper than Tulsa until recently.

I have a younger (white) colleague who grew up in Wilmington and was completely unaware of its existence until after he graduated from law school.
          Indeed, The Wilmington incident has it all, a playbook that inspired the Nazi's (hence Hitler's bemusement in the 1930's when the USA criticised his tactics and treatment of minorities), collusion with the Feminists/suffragette movement.
          A 19th century version of a twitter Spat.
          The Democratic Party manifesto of 1898 that read like an opus to manifest destiny.

I learned about Wilmington by chance in 2002, I went to a nightclub in Philly with jason voorhees and his now wife and made the acquaintance of a lady from Wilmington. I thought I would go online and read up on her town so I could impress her with my worldly knowledge.
          I was shocked with what I had read, I kept making excuses when she invited me over and we eventually lost touch when she realised I was being long.
          Last edited by Tactical Genius; 02-06-2021, 19:58.

Comment

By chance, just in the middle of reading Wilmington's Lie by David Zucchino, on the coup of 1898. It's very good if you want more depth on this story.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              The sundown towns were generally small enough so as to be able to function without a Black population (many of them would have had restrictive covenants prohibiting sales to Black people from the outset), while at the same time "needing" a source of exploitable menial and household labour. In some cases, they would have primarily Black settlements just beyond their municipal boundaries that were effectively part of the town or city itself, but importantly not part of it for voting purposes or with regard to the provision of any public services.
              Yes, there's a similar logic to urban segregation but taken a step further by putting a boundary around the town itself rather than a set of internal boundaries as such. There's probably some overlap given that it's not always easy to distinguish between a town and city in the US. In Florida for example, some towns on the coast are white flight zones from cities and clearly have a relationship to their neighbouring big cities (they are part of a Metropolitan Statistical Area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...atistical_area).
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-06-2021, 10:26.

Comment

This caught my eye

https://twitter.com/NyLow9/status/1400415996972834819?s=19

Comment

I visited Rosewood today. The name still exists (and a church) despite the community being erased in the first 7 days of 1923.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/1408218152161382403

Comment

He's just saying what most are thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                        He's just saying what most are thinking.
                        I think the "most" is unfair, unless you can bsck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I think the "most" is unfair, unless you can bsck it up.
                          I am more than happy to.
                          Look at the voting records in any US election. Politicians who publicly mirror and support such sentiments (to various degrees) tend to get a majority of the white vote.

It was the mass mobilisation of the non-white vote that allowed Biden to scrape through and since then around 1/3 of the states have passed voting laws that disproportionately affect non-white people's ability to vote.

Also, the angry people who from a cross section of white society that stormed the capitol 6 months ago, exactly how many have been convicted?
                          Answer 1 and as you would expect, no prison time.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/u...entencing.html

Carlson is one of the biggest pundits on the biggest news channel in America is not by accident. It is because his message resonates with a majority of the people who watch him and the people who watch him are overwhelmingly white.

Is that enough backing up?

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with TG here. If America is anything like Britain then a lot of white people agree with this sort of shit even if they won't say it out loud. Look at the Brexit vote, the election success of UKIP/Brexit Party, particularly in European elections. Look at the increased support for the Tories despite their increasingly discriminatory policies.
                            Purely anecdotal, I work in an all male and virtually all white workplace, and the conversations you overhear when people think they are in a safe space are very telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                              I'm inclined to agree with TG here. If America is anything like Britain then a lot of white people agree with this sort of shit even if they won't say it out loud. Look at the Brexit vote, the election success of UKIP/Brexit Party, particularly in European elections. Look at the increased support for the Tories despite their increasingly discriminatory policies.
                              Indeed, we can argue to toss til the cows come home, but elections don't lie.

Purely anecdotal, I work in an all male and virtually all white workplace, and the conversations you overhear when people think they are in a safe space are very telling.
                              My experiences too when the subject has been Eastern Europeans and Muslims (once they have confirmed I am not a Muslim). It used to make me wonder what was said when I wasn't in the room.

Sporting, white people like you are actually a minority and a much smaller one that you could imagine.

Comment

This is informative on that subject. From 2016 rather than 2020, but it still tells you an awful lot...

Comment

As my Jamaican friends would say, "Argument Dun".

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    This is informative on that subject. From 2016 rather than 2020, but it still tells you an awful lot...

These maps look fairly damning. But what are the actual percentages, given that some states are quite a bit more populous than others?

Comment

Well, given that the popular vote is irrelevant for as long as we have the Electoral College, differences in population among states don't really matter to the outcome,

That said, the exit poll data is depressingly clear.

there was a modest decline in Republican support in a key Trump base: white men without college educations. This group showed a reduced Republican advantage from 48% to a still sizeable 42% between 2016 and 2020.

Yet among white voters with college educations, there were notable shifts in Biden’s direction. White male college graduates reduced their support for Trump from 14% to 3%. At the same time, white female college graduates boosted their Democratic support from 7% to 9% nationally

https://www.brookings.edu/research/2...itional-bases/

Comment

I was worried that my answer was going to drift into "not all white people" territory. It's basically not really relevant. White people, and particularly white men, seem in their majority to be entirely happy to vote for the most racist party*.

* and that's while acknowledging TG's regular point that the Democratic Party has a long track record (and not just in the distant past) of championing their own racist policies.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rightwingwatch/status/1408437120457392128

Comment

The Critical Race Theory freakout would be hilarious, if it weren’t so incredibly racist, and going to be used as hammer to ban all kinds of things from schools and public discourse.

Comment

Some more data on race and the 2020 Presidential election. Conclusion remains unchanged.

https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/1410343900401831942

Comment

Republicans made gains among women.

Jesus.

Comment

Biden also made gains among women - just less of a gain. The data suggests to me more like some regular Republican voting women voted for third party candidates in 2016 or stayed home, but like so many political partisans these days drifted back to the fold.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1410602665164247052

Comment

Working...
                                                    X