No announcement yet.

The White Supremacy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is obviously 10 days old so you may have seen it but it's still good [https://twitter.com/KennyDeForest/status/1268288525234876416?s=19

Comment

Intrinsic racism in Yorkshire (and my very mild.mannered mate calling them out on it - this is a big deal because he is the definition of a don't rock the boat guy)

Comment

This thread is worth reading

https://twitter.com/nrookie/status/1271913815282720774?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/purestformula/status/1273616087473627136?s=21

Comment

Don't really understand the 'cockney' reference (as compared to a white non-cockney).

Comment

This column in today's Guardian made me realise how often people are Wong even when they want to be Woke. Obviously Raab should just shut up and go away. But most of his his critics aren't correct either. Colin K didn't begin the "take a knee" salute. NFL athletes — black and white — have been doing it for years, usually when a fellow player has been injured on the field. I'm pretty sure it goes father back than that. Our collective memories are so short these days it's tragic.
              Foreign secretary said symbolic act ‘seems to be taken from Game of Thrones’

Comment

Alexandra Burke on the "whitening" advice she was given after winning the X-Factor

[URL="https://twitter.com/DionneGrant/status/1274276846071414784"]https://twitter.com/DionneGrant/stat...76846071414784[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                  This column in today's Guardian made me realise how often people are Wong even when they want to be Woke. Obviously Raab should just shut up and go away. But most of his his critics aren't correct either. Colin K didn't begin the "take a knee" salute. NFL athletes — black and white — have been doing it for years, usually when a fellow player has been injured on the field. I'm pretty sure it goes father back than that. Our collective memories are so short these days it's tragic.
                  True but there are at least three traditions which come together in Kapernick's "taking a knee"- which is why it's so powerful you're right to point out the tradition in the NFL. But Kapernick also synthesised it with it as a Black symbol which was used by MLK and Kapernick also employed it after talking to a friend who'd been in the military who said it showed respect as well as resistance.

Comment

Anyone in the NFL (or any fan) could tell you it signifies respect, that being why it's traditional when someone is injured. Hence the cognitive dissonance in all the fake outrage.

Comment

Meanwhile, in NASCAR, noose found in garage of Bubba Wallace

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53132933

(nb. Bubba Wallace is black)

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        Anyone in the NFL (or any fan) could tell you it signifies respect, that being why it's traditional when someone is injured. Hence the cognitive dissonance in all the fake outrage.
                        He was originally planning to sit. A green beret he met suggested he kneel instead.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/l...916-story.html

Comment

I know. I find the amount of fuss made over the anthem amazing and depressing. It's a poem that pisses on escaped slaves in one of the later verses.

Comment

Written by a slave-owner and brother in law of the Judge in the Dred Scott case

Lawyer-poet Key, born to massive slaveholding wealth in Maryland, was one of the richest men in America. He liked it that way.

As he grew older and darker, Key sought to buttress slavery, known as our own “peculiar institution.” He did just that, past his last breath. The U.S. Supreme Court, which he helped shape, stood strongly for slavery. So beside the anthem, his political legacy as a critical political player in upholding slavery is devastating.

In his 50s, Key became an adviser to President Andrew Jackson, who was also a wealthy self-made Southern slaveholder.

At the same time, Key was named by Jackson as the U.S. district attorney for the nation’s capital, where he prosecuted race and slavery laws to the fullest extent, even to the death penalty. He also aggressively prosecuted early abolitionists, who had founded the anti-slavery movement in 1833.

Key often whispered in the ear of Jackson, the plantation owner in the White House. When he wasn’t shouting, Jackson listened. Jackson’s presidency brought brutal, racially motivated mob violence like never before, including a race riot in Washington, D.C. Jackson had no sympathy for mobs, but even less for slaves and free blacks.

Then came the worst cut of all: Key prevailed on Jackson to name Key’s own brother-in-law, Roger Taney, to the Cabinet and then to the ultimate prize: chief justice of the United States.

To be tied to the infamous Taney is a serious stain on Key’s rosy reputation. Like Key, Taney was a native of Maryland, a state steeped in slavery, where Frederick Douglass was born. Taney and Key were friends before Roger met and married Key’s sister. That’s how small the antebellum South was for wealthy white men.

Roundly hated north of the Mason-Dixon line, Taney lived long enough to author the 1857 Dred Scott Supreme Court opinion, the most starkly racist high court decision in history. Taney struck down the argument that free blacks could become citizens in free states like Illinois and further declared that all blacks, whether slave or free, were never entitled to any rights, period.

The Dred Scott ruling landed as a public outrage. Historians consider it a catalyst for the Civil War, which broke out four years later. Taney swore in Abraham Lincoln as president in 1861, a face-to-face breaking point between the nation’s past and futur

Comment

Racist policy suspending various visas is being expanded:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-visas-through

But...they're exempting au pairs for rich people, which apparently is a job that only foreign women are able to do.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-06-2020, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                I know. I find the amount of fuss made over the anthem amazing and depressing. It's a poem that pisses on escaped slaves in one of the later verses.
                                That’s unclear. He may have been referring ti
                                slavery metaphorically. But FSK did work in behalf of slavers. That’s certain.

A lot of these issues could be cleared up if we changed the anthem to “America the Beautiful.” Or get rid of it in sports, as Bruce Arena suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  A lot of these issues could be cleared up if we changed the anthem to “America the Beautiful.” Or get rid of it in sports, as Bruce Arena suggests.
                                  Or a song from the Dead's American Beauty, like Ripple in still waters?

Comment

Comment

That would be great. If nothing else, the discussion would force Republicans to say out loud that they don’t actually believe this land was made for everyone. They also hate Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger for being “communists.”

I might tweak the lyrics. As I recall, it says from the Redwood forests to the gulf stream waters. (Two things in danger of disappearing) Can’t we come up with something better than the gulf stream? That’s like 50 miles off the coast. Not really a landmark that many people are sentimental about.

I don’t see this happening in my life time. We might end up getting stuck with God Bless America as some kind of “compromise.” FFS

God Bless America sounds like is demanding something from the almighty. America the Beautiful has God in it, but it asks him to shed his grace on us. Grace is, of course, unearned. We certainly haven’t earned it.
                                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 23-06-2020, 17:05.

Comment

Has there been a mention on the handful of suspicious hangings of black men in public places over the last few weeks?
                                        The police had been quick to call them as suicides until people raised the alarm.

Comment

I've been meaning to post something, but the cops are being very successful at declaring the cases over before they start.

There was another yesterday on Long Island.

I don't recall hanging suicides in public parks being a more often than weekly thing before.

Comment

It was easy to miss as the mainstream media as well as the BLM movement have done a good job of pivoting away to talk about other things.

Comment

Are you saying that you disagree with the tactics of BLM rather than their aims?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                Are you saying that you disagree with the tactics of BLM rather than their aims?
                                                It depends what their tactics and aims are. Can you define them?

Comment

Probably not very well beyond trying to make people aware of the many problems faced by black people. Aims would be to achieve complete equality and the elimination of all racism. Tactics would be non violent education? But I'm certainly no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                    Probably not very well beyond trying to make people aware of the many problems faced by black people. Aims would be to achieve complete equality and the elimination of all racism. Tactics would be non violent education? But I'm certainly no expert.
                                                    Is this from your opinion or from their manifesto?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X