One person, one vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One person, one vote?

But how would you find criteria, and questions, that didn't implicitly or explicitly discriminate against one group or another.

And I presume people who "failed" the test and were thus denied the right to electoral representation would have a pretty decent case for refusing to pay taxes. After all, civic life would now be nothing to do with them, guv. And why should people who are good at passing tests but might not actually DO anything - in terms of their own civic or political engagement - be privileged above those who aren't good at passing them but might actually be involved in stuff?

As I said, an idea without any merit whatsoever.

Comment

One person, one vote?

And I presume people who "failed" the test and were thus denied the right to electoral representation would have a pretty decent case for refusing to pay taxes.

Excellent point. I wonder how many people would voluntarily choose that option too? "Fuck voting if I get more cash." Scary prospect.

Test is perhaps too strong a term. No one "fails" the citizenship test I don't think, at least not irrevocably. You're generally coached until you pass.

Comment

One person, one vote?

I'm afraid that at last 90% of my countrymen would trade their vote for an exemption from income tax.

Comment

One person, one vote?

But taxes go to basic services upon which people rely whether or not they vote anyway.

Comment

One person, one vote?

The important thing is they're entitled to vote.

So anyway, does anyone actually support denying the vote to thickies - or people deemed by unnamed others to be thickies?

Comment

One person, one vote?

Hmm, maybe they shouldn't be entitled to trash pickup either...

So anyway, does anyone actually support denying the vote to thickies - or people deemed by unnamed others to be thickies?

Maybe we can hold special elections just for them, kinda like the Special Olympics?

Comment

One person, one vote?

E10 Rifle wrote:

I'd certainly deny the vote to anyone who read The Sun, The Star, Hello, Ok, Nuts, Zoo (just the one's that spring instantly to mind but I'd extend it to many others), anyone who watches reality TV or Soaps, anyone who speaks estuary english...I'm pretty much in favour of denying the right to breed to huge numbers of our society, never mind vote

democracy is shite unless the electorate are educated and understand what they're voting for

Comment

One person, one vote?

No, I don't want to deny anyone the vote.

But when you hear people saying things like "Well, I'm voting Republican because we've always voted Republican and mah daddy always voted Republican" and "Well...he just seems like the kind of guy I could sit and have a beer with...", then the idea becomes pretty tempting.

Comment

One person, one vote?

JSNTCV has just denied the vote to most of the UK posters on here, of course.

Comment

One person, one vote?

TonTon wrote:
                      He/She has a point though.

Example: Many people in the UK demand an (allegedly) promised referendum on Europe, but how many of them really understand the issues and consequences? Maybe we should leave it to the politicians. Oh, hang on...

I'd also add to JSNTCV's list anyone who drives an Audi TT, but that's just my personal prejudice coming out.

Comment

One person, one vote?

TonTon wrote:
                        you're point being? :-)

and having just been shopping in Newcastle and witnessing the pathetic demonstrations out the back of my place (embarrassingly being filmed by TV cameras)..I'd add pretty much most of my fellow geordies to my list :-)
                        and anyone driving a Hummer or a BMW 4x4..both of which have annoyed me today..and christians...who annoy me most days (goes without saying I'd deny the vote to most other religions as well)

Comment

One person, one vote?

I know this is all a bit flippant but, JSNTV and others, construct a case as to why you and other OTFers should have the vote. Let's tur this around: outline your voting-right suitability.

Comment

Working...
                          X