Printing your own T-shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There aren't enough cool ones in the shops these days.

Anyway, I have a jpeg file which I want repeated all the way across it, and down, like an Andy Warhol work. And then I want to chuck some cool colours over it. Like the cover of Technique by New Order, but I don't think I can afford Peter Saville.

Any idea who to approach and what they should charge?

You'll probably be better off converting it to a vector image first. Are you planning on selling them, or would it be a one-off?

Comment

There are plenty of cheapish online printing firms. Your issue is going to be finding someone who can generate the artwork.

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
        You'll probably be better off converting it to a vector image first. Are you planning on selling them, or would it be a one-off?
        I'm not sure about that--saving a raster image in a vector format usually justs embeds the raster image. It doesn't really give you any more options in terms of manipulation.

Vector images for t-shirts are best when you want images with no background colour.

Comment

It's a one-off for me. What's a vector graphic, 200PC?

The jpeg is a still from a 40 year old TV show. Is that likely to be a problem?

What do you mean by generate, SP?

Comment

Quite. We just did a bunch of embroidered-logo hats. The hats and embroidering were dirt cheap. The most pricey bit was converting the logo to a digital image file.

Comment

What SP said, basically. It might be just as well to print it off on that paper that comes off like a transfer and see how that comes out. It depends entirely on what the image is like.

Comment

Oooo...yeah, get someone to copy/paste the image in a photoshop-type file in the Warholian style, and then buy that special iron-on transfer printer paper. It's pricey per-sheet, but by far the cheapest option. Then just iron it on to a good quality t-shirt.

This is the stuff I'm talking about.

Comment

W H Smith sell something like this, costs about £8 or so for 10 sheets, you put on what you like to the sheet and then (presumably) iron it on to your T shirt.

Comment

The jpeg is a still from a 40 year old TV show. Is that likely to be a problem?
                    It's from The Prisoner, isn't it?

And only a problem for McGoohan's lawyers.

Comment

Do you mean this kind of thing? (Don't ask me why I chose to do it with Michael Jackson.)

Comment

Copyright for that would be held by ITV - it would have passed from ATV to Central TV, to Carlton and then to the centralised ITV. This may cause a problem in getting an outside company to make it for you. Do you know anyone with a really good colour printer?

Comment

Good lord. Now, that would make a striking t-shirt.

Comment

Now that's an idea: Warholized celebrity mug-shot t-shirts.
                            Can't imagine any lawyers would object to that.

Comment

Stumpy, yeah, very much so.

WOM, I've never watched The Prisoner. You are confusing me with Matt P. It's from, er Civilisation. Actually any picture of Kenneth Clark will do because it's a clever art joke. I don't anticipate copyright problems unless the person who suggested it to me on the old board (Mumpo?) starts cutting up rough.

I don't know anyone with a good colour printer.

Comment

I've never watched The Prisoner
                                This sentence doesn't make sense.
                                Isn't that like saying "Fish and Chips? Hmmm....never tried 'em." ?

Comment

Here's what Spreadshirt have to say about it:

Every pixel graphic image uploaded for printing will be checked for copyright infringements.
                                  To be honest, I'd be asking around to see if anyone you know has a decent printer, if I were you. It would be easier, and copyright wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                    Stumpy, yeah, very much so.

WOM, I've never watched The Prisoner. You are confusing me with Matt P. It's from, er Civilisation. Actually any picture of Kenneth Clark will do because it's a clever art joke. I don't anticipate copyright problems unless the person who suggested it to me on the old board (Mumpo?) starts cutting up rough.

I don't know anyone with a good colour printer.
                                    Aha. Got you.

Comment

Seriously, I could knock it up for you, but a lot's going to depend on how good a quality your source image is.

Comment

I don't anticipate copyright problems unless the person who suggested it to me on the old board (Mumpo?) starts cutting up rough
                                        I don't think it was me. And I wouldn't know how to 'cut up rough'.

Comment

A lot of t-shirt printers ask for the image to be 200dpi (dots per inch). So to find out how big your a single image will be, right-click the icon and go to Properties.

For example, a single image that's 600 x 400 pixels will come out as 3" x 2".

Comment

I always see people wearing good t-shirts, but all the shops I go to just have "I like the pope the pope smokes dope", and "McShit", and all the usual crap. Where do you buy good t-shirts?

Comment

I appreciate the offer, Stumpy but that's Kenneth Clarke not Kenneth Clark.

My image is only 200x200. Is that too small? I was anticipating having more than 2x2 of the image.

Comment

I know, I know ... twas a gag.

Yes, 200 x 200 will give you an image one-inch square at 200 dpi. Which is very small indeed.

Comment

In that case, you'd need to find a friendly soul with a DVD, who could play it through their PC and do a screen grab.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X