Refused entry to a pub.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refused entry to a pub.....

On Saturday I went to the Grand National at Aintree. It was part of a long weekend in Liverpool, a city I have never visited before. I didn't drink whilst at the racecourse as I don't like drinking alcohol in large crowds, but when I got back to Liverpool Central station I went across the road and into one of the Irish pubs opposite. As I went in a doorman / bouncer / security blocked my way. He asked me where the rest of my group was. I told him I wasn't part of a group and that I was on my own and just wanted a pint. He told me that I couldn't come in as they only allow groups in. I looked at him with a certain amount of incredulity and wondered if it was a wind-up.

I've been in groups that have been refused entry before, but never when on my own. I said again it was only me and I was sober and wasn't looking for trouble, but no I wasn't part of a group so no entry. Had I had a couple of beers I would have stood and argued with him but I decided it wasn't worth it and walked away.

Has anyone else ever had this before?

Anti drug and theft policy.

Comment

Also there's absolutely no point arguing with a doorman. No good will come from it.

Comment

Sometimes you wonder if they're just taking the piss,I was once refused wearing a grandfather shirt because "there's no collar on your shirt " A friend of mine was refused wearing a jumper with the words "no jumpers tonight " , his girlfriend was wearing a denim shirt so they went around the corner and swapped tops and were let in

Comment

How bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            Sometimes you wonder if they're just taking the piss,I was once refused wearing a grandfather shirt because "there's no collar on your shirt " A friend of mine was refused wearing a jumper with the words "no jumpers tonight " , his girlfriend was wearing a denim shirt so they went around the corner and swapped tops and were let in
            Dress policy is determined by the venue, not the door staff. But yeah, a lot of these will be excuses and made up reasons. Sometimes they just don't like the look of someone and they'll make up a reason they can't come in. Dynamic risk assessments. Maybe Paul S looked a bit weird, so the doorman said he couldn't let him in. I still think anti drug policy is more likely, but let's not discount weirdness just yet.

I've got my door badge. None of youse are coming in.

Comment

Way back when, one of the pubs in Birmingham city centre used to have a massive four foot sign in the vestibule saying that all customers had to show ID. A friend and I, when we were about 20, wanted to go in but didn't have any documentation so asked the bouncer if there was any room for flexibility on this. He replied, "In you go, lads. I can tell that you've been round the block a few times." Getting turned away might have been less dispiriting.

Comment

I was in Liverpool on saturday, passing through on my way to Ainsdale beach and dunes (glorious weather), completely forgot about Grand National and I was wondering why everybody looked like they were on the way to a wedding....

Anyhow, those Irish bars by Central...I ended up briefly in one a few months ago, I was in a group and was relieved when we left, everybody looked like they had a GBH charge against them at some point in their life. Liverpool is so different than Manchester nowadays....

Comment

We used to go to a club where the cover charge (in '80s money) was $4. And if you got a hand-stamp, you could come and go. So we'd just walk in the first time and lift our hand like we were showing the bouncer the hand-stamp and he'd nod seriously and let us through.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    We used to go to a club where the cover charge (in '80s money) was $4. And if you got a hand-stamp, you could come and go. So we'd just walk in the first time and lift our hand like we were showing the bouncer the hand-stamp and he'd nod seriously and let us through.
                    Some gig venues I frequent still employ the high security, foolproof measure of drawing an X on the back of your hand with a marker.

Comment

Another friend of mine had two striking characteristics when he was young and foolish,protruding ears and an inability to keep his mouth shut when it was good for him, these two things came together in a nightclub in Liverpool.
                      He was leaving with a skinfull when the bouncer asked him "where did you get those ears " realising he came from the land that gave the world Oscar Wilde and Dave Allen he replied "off your Ma,she keeps grabbing them when I'm riding her "
                      The resulting violence was quite something according to onlookers

Comment

Eeeh, the Irish pubs on Ranelagh street... and after the Grand National. I think this doorman was doing you a good turn, Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                          Eeeh, the Irish pubs on Ranelagh street... and after the Grand National. I think this doorman was doing you a good turn, Paul.
                          I tried the other two pubs but they were packed and I couldn't get near the bar. Then I realised there were 80,000 people still to come from the National plus Liverpool v Bournemouth only had 10 minutes to go and another 50,000 people would be joining them. I got the train back to my airbnb in St Michaels and visited the local pubs there. Yes, they certainly did do me a good turn!

Comment

I heard that St Michaels had been hit by a wave of handbag thefts, drug dealing and vulnerable elderly people being fleeced at find the lady. Shame on you, Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                              Anyhow, those Irish bars by Central...I ended up briefly in one a few months ago, I was in a group and was relieved when we left, everybody looked like they had a GBH charge against them at some point in their life. Liverpool is so different than Manchester nowadays....
                              I don't think Liverpool is that different, you just need to know where to go - avoid those Irish bars, Concert Square and most of Matthew Street and you'll have a great time. Those Irish bars have multiplied since half the street opposite got knocked down, and I wouldn't go in any of them. Even the Wetherspoons round the corner is nicer, and that's a terrible shithole.

Comment

I do find the vibe very different nowadays, Liverpool feels a bit like a smaller town that has grown much bigger (the nicer pubs next to those Irish boozers are full of old chaps in their sunday best, this is not something i notice that much in Manc city centre) whilst Manchester has deffo gone down the hipsterish, european city route in the centre. You can obviously still find rougharse places in Manc but they are going off the map quick and obviously Liverpool has its hipster corners but i stand by my comment.

Comment

I was forwarded a photo of 3 beardo twats in ankle length skinny trousers seemingly doing a funny walk while on a pub “sesh”. In the north side (or “Northern Quarter” ffs). The days when that would have resulted in a swift Manc kicking are sorely missed.

My friendly bombs rain down on Media City.

Comment

Does Manchester have a Temple Bar/Old Soho type tourist trap where idiots/ stags and hens can be dumped safely and leave the rest of the city safe for supping?

Comment

As I said in the opening post it was my first ever trip to Liverpool and I liked the city. I couldn't work out what it was that was different but I went up the City FM tower and to the top of the Anglican cathedral and I noticed that except for 3-4 modern tower blocks on the waterfront (that look dreadful imho) there are no high rise buildings in Liverpool. The city hasn't built upwards, instead it's built on the wasteland that has become available as the old industry left. There is more terraced housing Liverpool than most other major cities and it feels all the better for it. Manchester has loads of new high rises which are described as "iconic" in every planning application and London is just a lost cause. But Liverpool seems to have retained something about itself.

Comment

Also the trots built tons of Brookside type council gaffs in defiance of Thatcher in the 80s. Personally I think it’s madness building such low density housing even within the city centre, some of this stuff is right next to the not completely tacky Liverpool One (not advocating shiny “luxury flats” like the Ian Simpson bullshit that litters Manc, just 3-6 storeys within the supposed urban core coz I’m irredeemably Scottish).
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-04-2018, 17:27.

Comment

My eyes always used to get me refused entry, even when I wasn’t on the MaDMAn. Also I’d somehow get drunker with nerves while waiting in the queue for the bouncer’s decision.

Comment

Is this not a “high rise”?

Comment

That’s just pure lovely is what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                Does Manchester have a Temple Bar/Old Soho type tourist trap where idiots/ stags and hens can be dumped safely and leave the rest of the city safe for supping?
                                                Prontworks, Shudehill end of the NQ, Deansgate Locks. There's probably more idiot parts than non.

Comment

That’s just pure lovely is what that is.
                                                  Quite

I still recall the first time that I saw the “Three Graces”. Manhattan would be proud of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X