Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsD View Post
    Smetana, as we Russophones call it.
    And speakers of quite a few of the other Slavic languages as well. Or they might be talking about a composer, seeing as the Czechs do insist on naming people after foodstuffs.

You can get Pierogi in the local Tesco here. So I bought some... and wasn't very impressed. Then my Mum found a Polish deli in Huntingdon (IIRC) that did the 'proper' stuff. They tasted the same as the ones from Tesco. But then, the Tesco ones are a Polish brand so I'm not sure what she was expecting to be that different.

Comment

Mrs WOM does them boiled and then pan-fried with caramelized onions and crumbled bacon and a splash of sour cream and the ... the...mmm....<becomes unintelligible>. mmmm....what?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        And speakers of quite a few of the other Slavic languages as well. Or they might be talking about a composer, seeing as the Czechs do insist on naming people after foodstuffs.
        I assume that's the case with other Slavic languages too. Boris Pasternak is Boris Parsnip in English.

Smetana is Smāntāna in Romanian, which despite being a proudly romance language borrows a lot from its Slavic neighbours.

Comment

I'm going to get a coffee. Maybe an iced one.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Mrs WOM does them boiled and then pan-fried with caramelized onions and crumbled bacon and a splash of sour cream and the ... the...mmm....<becomes unintelligible>. mmmm....what?
            Well, yes, a recipe with caramelized onions, bacon and sour cream will work. The pierogi seem the least essential and easily replacable ingredient there...

Comment

Working...
            X