A crest for London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A crest for London

I'm not that much of a fan of my handball clubs crest. Not that it's going to change any time soon but I do occasionally think about what I would replace it with.

And searching around there isn't really anything London wide to riff on which got me thinking about what should be in or on a London crest. The current Greater London Authority just has it's name, no real logo.

Anything City of London is out as it's too specific.

I do like the old LCC crest and badge.

And they also had a badge for clubs and societies to use.

But what would you put on a crest for a London based sports club? What things symbolize London that could be used in a heraldic way?

(My thoughts for my club are to take the LCC logo but replace or conjoin the St George's flag with a Danish one as the club was originally London Great Dane).

Another thought I'd had would be to use the three saexes as that's used by both Middlesex and Essex.
    Last edited by Levin; 21-03-2018, 12:46.

This is the flag of the City of London (Edit : Ah, which I now see you rule it out, quite rightly) ;

Which London Welsh use, rather surprisingly :

The London Fairs Cup team used the City of London flag as their badge too, I believe.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2018, 15:07.

Comment

The GLC had a crest and flag similar to the LCC one :

Comment

I assume that TfL's aggressive defence of their IP would rule out any use of the roundel?

The "London XI" that contested the first Fairs Cup Final also used a version of the City of London crest

Last edited by ursus arctos; 21-03-2018, 13:05.

Comment

The sword in the City of London crest
          http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=London
          represents St Paul, and so I reckon it's probably a device worth keeping for the whole city (but certainly dropping the George cross as you say).

Comment

If current crests are anything to go by, it will either be a more ludicrous version of the Queen logo or a stylised animal looking dead fierce.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                If current crests are anything to go by, it will either be a more ludicrous version of the Queen logo or a stylised animal looking dead fierce.
                This particular animal would be best for London. He does an excellent hard stare.

Comment

The TfL roundel really is excellent isn't it? And nothing else really captures the whole of London.

Comment

Comment

So I think I'm currently in favour of Paddington brandishing St Paul's sword. Maybe poking out through the roundel, MGM-lion style.

Comment

This is my cross to bear alone, but I hate crests/badges with prominent ships or waves for places which are not by the sea*. I don't care if you have a big river or ship canal or whatever, that just always looks wrong to me. Don't get me started on the bloody seahorses on Newcastle's badge.

Anyway, I'd go for a new crest based around the profile of the Thames, with all the bends and turns. Not sure if this has been done already. Maybe combine it with the London Underground logo, with the river replacing the blue rectangle.

* (before someone starts, yes that includes Middlesbrough's coat of arms. Still wrong.)
                        Last edited by Fussbudget; 21-03-2018, 14:15.

Comment

The most famous landmark in London is Big Ben (It may not be the best landmark, but it's the most recognisable one and the one that everyone from other countries would immediately think of). So some stylised form of that.

Comment

Is this crest specific to the police? Is that why it has a prison gate on it?

Comment

The dome of St Paul's. In silhouette.
                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-03-2018, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                The most famous landmark in London is Big Ben (It may not be the best landmark, but it's the most recognisable one and the one that everyone from other countries would immediately think of). So some stylised form of that.
                                Tower Bridge.

Comment

It's a portcullis.

Comment

A Portcullis was to keep people out, not in. The shackles OTOH...

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      A Portcullis was to keep people out, not in. The shackles OTOH...

Isn't the standard symbol historically associated with the Polis the fasces?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Tower Bridge.
                                        It is Big Ben. Honest.

Tower Bridge might be in second place, but it's way behind Big Ben.

Comment

Graphically Tower Bridge works better than Big Ben, because the silhouette is unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                            Isn't the standard symbol historically associated with the Polis the fasces?
                                            I think, power or authority. That can include the police of course, but no one really wants to think of them that way in the UK I suspect.

Comment

Tower Bridge is the best, so wins.

No returns.

Comment

Portcullises are usually associated with Parliament aren't they? I admire the honesty of the lions holding truncheons ready to give someone a kicking.

Comment

How do you kick someone with a truncheon?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X