Witnesses sought ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witnesses sought ...

How observant are you? Imagine you pass a sign on the street saying that a crime had been committed on Saturday, at noon, wherever you were at that point.

Could you remember any real details about where you were at Saturday lunchtime - could you describe any of the other people (other than the friends or family you were with) who you saw at that time, what cars were parked in the vicinity, etc?

Maybe you're better at this than me, but I couldn't. I was in a busy pub with my daughters on Saturday at noon, but other than the vaguest of details (there was a family on the table next to us, and I remember the Dad having a completely bald head like Telly Savalas) I'd be of virtually no use to the authorities whatsoever.

Witnesses sought ...

I didn't see anything.

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

it was teerex. I was in church.

Seriously, I probably could, if I sat down and thought about it... my short term memory is bloody awful, but when I think about it, it tends to be highly accurate (selectively of course)

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

what was the question?

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

depends on the crime surely?

if i sauntered out of here on my lunch break, mind full of the delights on offer at greggs, i might not notice a sly pickpocketing, but i'd hope that seeing someone get smeared by a speeding motorist or stabbed in the face would be pretty memorable.

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

I'm always amazed when interrogators or lawyers on TV ask a suspect: "Where exactly were you on January 12 seven years ago?" And then get triumphant when the alledged perp doesn't remember if he was listening to Bob Dylan or James Brown that fateful night. I can barely remember where I was the day before yesterday.

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

Quick! Call the police! It was G.Man wot done it!

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

A not-unwelcome earworm...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Bx7nBCMzE

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

Quick! Call the police! It was G.Man wot done it!
                  Possibly was. I just wouldn't remember.

I should be in politics, me.

Comment

Witnesses sought ...

Even if you think you can remember, you probably can't. Eyewitness testimony is spectacularly unreliable. The fact that it is treated as among the most reliable sources of evidence by many justice systems is a travesty.

Comment

Working...
                    X