Miami Bridge Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Bridge Collapse

How the fuck does this happen in 2018? Someone presumably got their sums wrong.

Yeah. The engineers are likely in very serious shit.

Comment

It was only put in place five days ago:

https://twitter.com/FIU/status/97252...w_site=BBCNews

Comment

Truly awful. It's hard not to wonder if some corners were cut in the construction. No doubt the parties involve will all be blaming each other when the lawsuits (and criminal investigation?) come in.

Comment

No corporate manslaughter laws in the US?

Comment

A matter of state law, of course, and I would be very surprised if a state of Florida’s political orientation had one.

Given the robust hurricane-resistant building codes now in effect in South Florida, something went very, very wrong here.

Comment

Lots of helpful background from CityLab

Comment

Awful story.

I appreciate that it was supposed to be an innovative design, but just looking at the bridge on its completion, it just 'looked' unwieldy. Perhaps it's unfair cynicism, but - ABC or otherwise - I'd remain extremely wary of any construction project that came in almost an entire year ahead of schedule. Learning that it wasn't even complete or ready for use is highly disturbing.

Comment

Frankly, I'd find it far more disturbing if it were complete and ready for use.

Comment

Perhaps we shouldn't build regular streets at highway widths and meaning that the only way that people could cross the street safely is in a bridge spanning eight lanes of traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                      Frankly, I'd find it far more disturbing if it were complete and ready for use.
                      In a round-about way, that was kind of my point...

Comment

Could they have built a walkway under the road?

Comment

Knowing the general area, but not the specific site, my guess is that flooding would have been a real challenge for any such tunnel and that the excavations would have been significantly more disruptive to the campus and highway.

Comment

Am I the only one stumped that this is such an engineering challenge in 2018? I mean, didn't we figure out how to do this 200 years ago using iron?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                              Perhaps we shouldn't build regular streets at highway widths and meaning that the only way that people could cross the street safely is in a bridge spanning eight lanes of traffic.
                              I hadn't realised it was a street until your post, I assumed it was a motorway from the footage I saw. Eight lanes!

Comment

It's the Tamiani Trail, which is a bit of a hybrid.

Comment

Florida is like that. 8-lane streets with 50 mph speed limits and residences in both sides. It's very odd, but very Florida.

Comment

Everybody ignores the speed limits though.

Comment

And many of those who do are armed.

Perhaps those with more local experience can answer a question I have. There is a significant intersection and pedestrian crossing less than 25 meters from the bridge.

Why is the bridge needed at all?

Are the traffic lights timed in such a way that the crossing is useless?

Comment

I think it was being built to ease the flow and make it safer - a student from San Diego was killed on that crossing last year.

Comment

A safe crossing on an eight lane road feels like an oxymoron to me. I get shitted up crossing the Euston road (six lanes)

Comment

Working...
                                          X