X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[URL]https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1187365310392885248?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Supported by Netanyahu

[URL]https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1190774844289421313?s=21[/URL]-

Comment

oh look

Comment

https://twitter.com/Owehttps://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1214306541085560834?s=20

nJones84/status/1214306541085560834?s=20

Comment

Not about Orban, but some very interesting changes in Jobbik, the (formerly) neo-nazi party in Hungary. Ten years ago they were a fucking nightmare, they even had their own blackshirts and everything. As Orban has tacked further and further right thereby squeezing their vote (in the manner that the Tories did to the NF/BNP and subsequently to the Brexit party), they have reached out towards the centre and changed somewhat. I think we had a discussion on here around the time of the last Hungarian election in which this was seen as maybe-positive, but that we shouldn't trust them. Well, increasingly, I wonder if they really have changed. The party first started to move towards the centre under former leader Vona Gabor, who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him, but their new party chairman is Jakab Péter - who is Jewish (his great grandfather died at Auschwitz). The idea that Jobbik, a party which for much of its history was fervently anti-semitic, could have a Jewish leader is sort of beyond comprehension, but it is the case. Jakab has started purging the party of extremists, either through expulsions or through them resigning in disgust. Polling suggests that this new direction is going down fairly well with the electorate, though the party has lost a number of MPs through the aforementioned upheavals. It remains to be seen how it turns out (they'll still be a right wing party, but a centre right one, and significantly to the left of FIDESZ. The opposition in Hungary in general has clearly decided that the only way to beat Orban is to unite, so there are a lot of local electoral pacts forming to beat FIDESZ candidates. In general I would be somewhat cautious of such pacts, but when you have a virtual dictatorship and democracy-in-name-only, I think it is probably the only way)

Comment

This is very interesting. I do agree the opposition has to unite to defeat FIDESZ, but they need to find more that unites them besides just that. At least that's the lesson I take from the last time Slovakia had a government that didn' include Smer and Robert Fico. Four parties got together to form a coalition, encompassing catholics, liberals and the Hungarian minority (represented by Most-Hid).

It all fell apart within 2 years over the liberal leader's hitherto unknown Eurosceptic views and refusal to support the Greek loan package. Fico watched in high amusement from the sidelines, and duly won the next election.

Orban is probably even sharper and more evil than Fico. Good luck to Hungary, but stay wary.

Comment

Slovenia has just made pro Orbán Janez Janša Prime Miniister

https://twitter.com/tobyvogel/status/1232590983935799296?s=20

Comment

After revealing my ignorance of the Debrecen doughnut scene yesterday, should probably swerve Hungarian threads...but here goes. Jobbik always makes me giggle, in the same way that their womens' U21 side some years ago played NI with Urban Fanni in midfield. Maybe a distant relative of Viktor's?

Ps Puskas used to own a factory in Madrid that made Debrecen sausages
                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 26-02-2020, 09:36.

Comment

Pronounced Yobbik, I'm afraid. (And Fanni is pronounced Fonni, which rather spoils things too)

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                      the liberal leader's hitherto unknown Eurosceptic views
                      Political parties should no longer be allowed to characterize themselves. Liberal and Eurosceptic? Get in the sea.

Comment

I didn't explain well, but that was part of my point. This party positioned itself as liberal, which won it support at the election. When the debates on the Greek loans came up, they (really their leader) saw a chance to earn cheap populist points by being the naysayers. In doing so, they brought the government down.

Comment

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this article about Nazi commemorative events in Hungary ad hoc ( and anyone else with knowledge of the region)

Comment

It's news to me, Nef. I mean I guess under Orban it is not really a surprise, as the government has gone out of its way to whitewash the Horthy regime. Though usually this takes the form of presenting the crimes of that period as uniquely German, and like Hungary was somehow not complicit in the Hungarian part of the holocaust. The idea that this (which seems to be a commemoration of Nazi/Hungarian unity in the face of the advancing Red Army) doesn't really fit that narrative, so perhaps he's been emboldened by the success of his approach so far and is actually starting to celebrate naziism? Not sure. Either way it's fucking scary.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              I mean I guess under Orban it is not really a surprise, as the government has gone out of its way to whitewash the Horthy regime
                              Good ol' Admiral Horthy. Worst post-Beatles single ever.

Where did he sail out of? Trieste?
                              Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-03-2020, 10:31.

Comment

I think the main ports of Austro Hungary were Trieste, Pula and Rijeka

Comment

the Wikipedia page on the Austro Hungarian navy is kind of fascinating.

it includes the delicius tibit that George von Trapp was a submarine commander in the Adriatic in the first world war.
                                  The Navy's problems were further exacerbated by the ten ethnic groups having more than 5% of the population comprising the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Officers had to speak at least four of the languages found in the Empire. Germans and Czechs generally were in signals and engine room duties, Hungarians became gunners, while Croats and Italians were seamen or stokers.

Comment

Thanks for that link; it's kept me going all week, wandering off up wormholes. I'd never really been aware of the Great Northern War before.

Comment

Orban proposes a bill to rule by decree - blocked by opposition for now, but he only needs a two-thirds majority (which Fidesz has) next week.

Comment

And completes the journey to doctatorship

Should be expelled from the EU now

https://twitter.com/balazscseko/status/1244612142831198209?s=20

Comment

Anti orb?n pact

Q https://twitter.com/europeelects/status/1340725484401913856?s=21

Comment

Seems more Uncle Tom Cobley than a viable government, but welcome all the same.

Comment

The joint declaration by the parties, translated here by Eva Balogh, is pretty good. (I have no idea what #10 is all about, I'm afraid)

https://hungarianspectrum.org/2020/1...ian-democrats/

Comment

Sounds like an equivalent of the Stasi Records Act in Germany. Did Romania do something similar?

Comment

Oh, yes, you might be right

You can get access to securitate files here in Romania, but the process is complex and seemingly set up to mean it's technically possible but beyond the stamina of most people

Comment

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1356584140729180161

Comment

Working...
                                                    X