No announcement yet.

Wimpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at the massive Wimpy that was opposite the Selfridges on Oxford Street back in 89/90.

I was a fast food restaurant and not a traditional diner. The beanburger was very nice, the uniforms not so.....

Comment

I don't think I've been in one since we used to go to one in York after swimming, which means 1963 at the latest.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      We both had the seasonal special - a hash brown with a fried egg in a muffin with fried mushrooms. The fries were crispy not soggy and freshly hot.
      I walked past the Woolwich one this afternoon and saw this advertised in the window. It looked quite nice but I wasn't ready for food. Was it any good? And was it available without ketchup? If so, I might go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
        I was a fast food restaurant and not a traditional diner.
        Typos are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          Typos are great.
          Don't judge me, I was young and needed the money.

Comment

We've all been there.

Comment

Or their.

Comment

They're?

Comment

Thare.

Comment

The Wimpy forecourt beside the hover port here in Portsmouth is a popular venue for people to throw up on. I'll be charitable and attribute it to sea-sickness.

A different, now-vanished Wimpy, in Chingford, was the venue for my first ever date. We knew each other from church and considered each other a bit odd, so some maternal coaxing had been operational on both sides. I don't know who picked the venue, but there probably weren't any better choices in Chingford in 1990. I forgot to plan an outfit and showed up in ripped jeans, girly basketball shoes, a Miss Piggy t-shirt, and one of those extra-short blazer things with big lapels and shoulder pads as worn by Mel and Kim. All from charity shops bar the blazer. I would have liked to put on some lip gloss or something but didn't know how to. I was 16. The look I was aiming for was streetwise yet homespun, hoping to conceal my absolute lack of sass, the legacy of several years at a boarding school in a small town where there were only about five streets in total, none of them imparting much in the way of wisdom. But my date made it clear that I just looked a mess. He also made a snarky comment when I ordered the banana boat for afters and ate it all by myself. (To be fair, it was massive: a whole banana floating in ice cream and sugary who-knows-what. Yet, reader, I managed.) We didn't kiss because I didn't realise it was expected/permitted on the first date, and he was way too timid to initiate, although I did hold his hand for a bit under the table. I was quick to let it go when his mother turned up to drive me home. Her brother was a bishop. Her car was full of dog hairs.

Postscript: A second date – Look who's talking at the cinema – was suffered through, and even though I made sure to eat less than my share of the popcorn, he studiously ignored the hand I placed on the armrest beside him. As soon as the wretched movie was over, he announced that he was dumping me. I cried bucketloads.

During Mass the next day my mother made me go up to his family and apologise, to free myself from guilt I didn't feel.

Shortly afterwards he began to study for the priesthood. Now, according to social media, he is a merchant banker.

Moral: When life gives you bananas, make a banana boat. A massive one.

Comment

Ha ha! Brilliant.

I don't think we've ever had a first dates thread in 20 years (which seems remarkable, but on reflection perhaps it isn't.)

Comment

That's marvellous. I'll read that a third time, later, and I'll bet it's still as good.

Comment

Working...
                        X