Disappearing words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing words

I worry that millenials, upon hearing the word 'git', think you're referring to version control for software development. As opposed to someone who is … well, a complete git.

You should open an old man pub called github.

Comment

Every time I see "git" online, I have to double-check to ensure it's not my username that's been mentioned. I'm sure my parents knew when I was named what the unfortunate implications of some middle names would be.

Comment

The word quarrel isn't used anymore. Instead we argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
          BrewGit - for the edgy, rebellious older drinker.

Comment

Diddle-o. I've not heard it since about 1978. Wouldn't bother me if I never heard it again.

Comment

ASBO and alcopop, which both used to feature here with agonizing regularity, seem to have died off.

Comment

Having never been a coder or developer, I honestly wondered if that was what it was the first time that I encountered the phrase.

Comment

One of those times when you wonder if the writer thought of the title/sub title first and then wrote the article. Good one though
                  https://www.economist.com/news/books...osing-its-case

Comment

That's an awful, awful article. Uninteresting and, well, wrong.

Comment

Now I want to read it to see if I agree with you. As a linguist, I ignored it when Wyatt Earp first posted it on his FB page, other than to check that, from a very quick skim, it seemed to be making more or less the point I would make, namely that the decay of case endings in English, and the hopeless confusion of case forms amongst native speakers (e.g the jarring utterance even by most highly educated people of ghastly formulations like "send it to John and I") became inevitable once English embarked on its centuries long shift towards giving word order, rather than form, the main functional role in distinguishing the subject from the object of a verb.

Comment

Can't see anything wrong with it. English is a Creole, isn't it? What we lose in flexible word order we gain in not having to learn all them cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                          Now I want to read it to see if I agree with you. As a linguist, I ignored it when Wyatt Earp first posted it on his FB page, other than to check that, from a very quick skim, it seemed to be making more or less the point I would make, namely that the decay of case endings in English, and the hopeless confusion of case forms amongst native speakers (e.g the jarring utterance even by most highly educated people of ghastly formulations like "send it to John and I") became inevitable once English embarked on its centuries long shift towards giving word order, rather than form, the main functional role in distinguishing the subject from the object of a verb.
                          This is a test, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by gjt View Post
                            Every time I see "git" online, I have to double-check to ensure it's not my username that's been mentioned. I'm sure my parents knew when I was named what the unfortunate implications of some middle names would be.
                            Rather begs the question of why your parents gave you the middle name of "gjt" in the first place...

Comment

Working...
                            X