Premier Inn

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/B...g_click&f=live

Oof. Now that is pretty extraordinary.

Comment

But rules is rules.

Comment

Fuck 'em.

Comment

They're doing brilliantly at the moment.

Comment

That is truly staggering.

Comment

It’s also absurd that they wouldn’t refund the booking following the snow.

How much snow was there?

Comment

They've also refused a refund to a large group unable to travel to Glasgow because of the "code red" warnings.

Doubtless they could re let the room in that particular metrolops.

Comment

Meanwhile, at the homeless outreach charity, St Mungo's

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pers-to-deport

http://

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    Meanwhile, at the homeless outreach charity, St Mungo's

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pers-to-deport

http://
                    That's fucking dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      It’s also absurd that they wouldn’t refund the booking following the snow.

How much snow was there?
                      It's not actually as that is what it says when you book the room.

When you book in advance you get two tariffs, one is a flexible room booking which can be cancelled up to 1pm on the day and the other is a lowest price with no amendments or refunds. To take an example, if I want to stay in the Swansea waterfront Premier Inn on Thursday 17th May, I can either pay the flexible rate of £50 which I can amend or cancel up to 1pm on the day, or a saver rate of £37.50 with the caveat of "our lowest price, no amends or refunds". This would also include not changing the room booking from one persons name to another. In this case Premier Inn were quite correct not to re-let the room in another persons name. In addition to that they would require a credit card from the person who made the booking to cover any damage caused by the new guests staying there and that would be prohibitive as the cover would be for 19 guests.

In the town where I live there is a church hall open every night from October to April available for the homeless to sleep. They rotate it round different churches and they are advertised in advance. The only thing is they will not take anyone under the influence of drink or drugs and to be honest there are very few places in the country that will take homeless people who are intoxicated or on a high as their behaviour is unpredictable. Without knowing the arrangements for Weston-super-Mare it is difficult to say what is going on down there.

Edit:

Emergency night shelter set up in Weston last week serving breakfast and dinner for the homeless. Eight people took advantage of the offer although it had a capacity for 40.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/ne...pers-1-5414328
                      Last edited by Paul S; 05-03-2018, 18:20. Reason: Add in link

Comment

That stuff about St Mungo's isn't new.

Comment

Utterly appalling from Premier Inn, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

When you book in advance you get two tariffs, one is a flexible room booking which can be cancelled up to 1pm on the day and the other is a lowest price with no amendments or refunds. To take an example, if I want to stay in the Swansea waterfront Premier Inn on Thursday 17th May, I can either pay the flexible rate of £50 which I can amend or cancel up to 1pm on the day, or a saver rate of £37.50 with the caveat of "our lowest price, no amends or refunds". This would also include not changing the room booking from one persons name to another. In this case Premier Inn were quite correct not to re-let the room in another persons name. In addition to that they would require a credit card from the person who made the booking to cover any damage caused by the new guests staying there and that would be prohibitive as the cover would be for 19 guests.
                            Sometimes being legally in the right is quite a different thing to being morally in the right.

Comment

A quick bit of googling of the homeless centre that was set up in Weston and location of the Premier Inns reveals the following:

The Weston Super Mare seafront Premier Inn is in Beach Road, just 200 yards from the homeless centre that was set up at the Quakers at the Friends Meeting House.

The Premier Inn which goes by the name of "Weston Super Mare East" is 1.7 miles from the homeless centre. Or a 35-40 minute walk.

40 homeless spaces available, 8 people turned up. Nineteen premier inn beds that were not needed.

Comment

And that’s the PR lesson. Under these conditions exceptions should have been made. Unless they are happy to go down the O’Leary cunty but cheap route, and even he’s not allowed to do that anymore on pain of sacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

In the town where I live there is a church hall open every night from October to April available for the homeless to sleep. They rotate it round different churches and they are advertised in advance. The only thing is they will not take anyone under the influence of drink or drugs and to be honest there are very few places in the country that will take homeless people who are intoxicated or on a high as their behaviour is unpredictable. Without knowing the arrangements for Weston-super-Mare it is difficult to say what is going on down there.

Edit:

Emergency night shelter set up in Weston last week serving breakfast and dinner for the homeless. Eight people took advantage of the offer although it had a capacity for 40.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/ne...pers-1-5414328

I'm sure that's what the guy told Joseph and Mary.

Comment

Paul, obviously, Premier Inn will be able to back up their not accepting the homeless people with water-tight legal reasons. They will have no legal sanctions against them. They will, however, have publicity sanctions for the spirit in which they acted. For that, you know, fuck them. They are in the hospitality business and live and die by their publicity and no amount of Lenny Henry ads can change a PR fuck-up. Any suggestion that they vet their guests carefully for drink and drugs consumption is laughable if you have ever stayed in one of their places.

Whether beds went unused or not is somewhat against the point as the charities did turn up with rough sleepers.

Comment

Heard a programme on the radio last year(?) about "young people trying to get on" and they were talking to a lad of about 18 who was a team leader at one of those big hotel chains. Could have been Premier as it was one run by Whitbread.

Chap had no academic qualifications, was earning about £16K IIRC and thought it was great because by the time he was 20 he might be a duty manager and on another thousand. Point was, because of the flattening of the management structure, that was it. He didn't have the qualifications to go any further and work up internally. There was only one further level at the hotel anyway and then effectively the next layer was at HQ.

I suspect it was someone on this kind of pay grade who "made the decision" - but actually, the tablet linked to HQ did it. Poor sod probably had no option to change the booking even if s/he'd wanted to. (Of course we won't know whether they wanted to, but I think we can be fairly sure the chain bosses were content.)

Still morally disgusting but just another example of the way the real bastards insulate themselves from the people who suffer from their decisions. Like Jeremy Hunt hiding behind an NHS receptionist.

That kind of management structure will cost them the odd PR own goal, but on balance it's a more profitable way to operate. See also Ryanair.

Comment

I believe I have stayed in a Premier Inn sober on one occasion, when we were at the Heathrow hotel for an early flight the next morning. I probably still had two beers at dinner, though.

Otherwise, it's drag yourself down to the all you can shovel in your gob breakfast as late as possible, but still half cut from the previous night's piss artistry.

Comment

Yeah but you’re allowed to drink if you’re the Right Sort.

Comment

I don't see why Premier Inn should be responsible for solving the mess that is the NHS or why they should be refunding people who made nonflexible bookings.

But if the Salvation Army paid for rooms then they should be able to put anybody they want into them.

Comment

And now news of a vacancy in marketing at the "BrewDog" company…

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/pink-ipa

Comment

I'm struggling to see what the problem is there.

Comment

No problem with “Beer for Girls”?

Ah.

But they're being “ironic”

Comment

Working...
                                                  X