Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

Hope the Welsh contingent are having a good, if somewhat snowy, one. Made this batch of Welsh cakes with my daughter yesterday - a dangerously addictive way to consume quantities of lard. Mmmmm.

Last edited by Kevin S; 01-03-2018, 11:32.

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Kevin & Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus I pawb.

We are indeed having a Saint David’s Snowday as my daughters’ school is closed along with my local train station. My younger daughter is attempting to bake Welsh Cakes for the first time but we do have shop ones as standby. There are also three vases of daffodils around the house.

You’ll all know that we Welsh don’t like to bang on but, if nothing else, we indisputably have the best anthem (this being a particularly wonderful version) and flag in the world ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-03-2018, 13:18.

Comment

Man those Welsh cakes look good. It's many a year since I last had one.

I'd completely forgotten it was St. Dai's day today. Took me a few minutes to realise why a FB friend had sent me this flag gif -

Comment

May your dragons sleep soundly in your boilers, this chilly national day.

Welsh cakes are another on the long list of baked goods ruined by dried fruit.

Comment

I lurve dried fruit; be it in sweet stuff like Chorley cakes or in a tagine. Yum.

Comment

According to Saint David's wiki,

The Monastic Rule of David prescribed that monks...must drink only water and eat only bread with salt and herbs
            Now, nobody expects the average person to follow David's austere no dried fruit regime 365 days a year, but on his special day it might be respectful to make an effort.

Comment

I had some Welsh Cakes from Cardiff Indoor Market a while back with lemon curd or coconut in them as opposed to raisins, lush. Though Welsh Cakes are one of the things raisins are good in.

Comment

I didn't have a Welsh cake until my forties. Made some last night for work - they went down well but to be fair our canteen here is shite.

Celebration St. David's Day dinner for 12 tonight at the local (Nairobi) vegetarian Lebanese restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Diolch yn fawr iawn, Kevin & Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus I pawb.

We are indeed having a Saint David’s Snowday as my daughters’ school is closed along with my local train station. My younger daughter is attempting to bake Welsh Cakes for the first time but we do have shop ones as standby. There are also three vases of daffodils around the house.

You’ll all know that we Welsh don’t like to bang on but, if nothing else, we indisputably have the best anthem (this being a particularly wonderful version) and flag in the world ;

Hadaway and shite man.

Third at best.

After Russia and France.

(and even then it's a bronze medal play-off with the Germans)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    I had some Welsh Cakes from Cardiff Indoor Market a while back with lemon curd or coconut in them as opposed to raisins, lush. Though Welsh Cakes are one of the things raisins are good in.
                    Cardiff Market is a lovely place and those Welsh cakes are brilliant. Bought bags of them home.

Comment

Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb. I have been lax on both Welsh cakes and daffodils this year for a variety of reasons including the weather. I did force my children to try and learn "Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus" which is how I have always said it.

Cardiff indoor market is excellent and started my love of indoor markets. Ray and I's mother had a cousin who owned an electrical stall upstairs there and I associate it with faggots, chips, peas and gravy from the cafe rather than Welsh cakes, truth be told.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        Hadaway and shite man.

Third at best.

After Russia and France.

(and even then it's a bronze medal play-off with the Germans)
                        Much as I adore both your other contenders, Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau wipes the floor with La Marseillaise on an annual basis in the Six Nations and saw off the State Anthem of the Russian Federation in the famed Grand Final staged in Toulouse in June 2016.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-03-2018, 17:33.

Comment

Whenever I see Welsh cakes (which, admittedly, isn't very often these days), I think of my maternal grandfather's funeral, which took place shortly after Ray Houghton had killed him.

Just after the vicar had finished a eulogy that began with the words "treibeis's maternal grandfather. What can I say about treibeis's maternal grandfather, eh? Well, he loved doing crossword puzzles" and just before the coffin disappeared behind the curtain, Great Aunt Enid, who'd been a bit weepy all day even though she couldn't abide her recently-deceased brother-in-law, wailed, "Our Malcolm! Our Malcolm! I'VE ONLY BEEN AND FORGOT THE BLEDDY WELSH CAKES!"

My sister and I then received a sharp rebuke for "giggling like a pair of bleddy big girl's blouses" from some elderly relative we'd never seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            May your dragons sleep soundly in your boilers, this chilly national day.

Welsh cakes are another on the long list of baked goods ruined by dried fruit.
                            Ours are fried rather than baked, FWIW.

March the first is a clash with bastarding world book day this year. We went with the simple option for that of just printing out a Golden Ticket and sending the boy to school as Charlie Bucket. Roald Dahl was of course Cardiff-born, so that's a neat link for today too.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              Whenever I see Welsh cakes (which, admittedly, isn't very often these days), I think of my maternal grandfather's funeral, which took place shortly after Ray Houghton had killed him.

Just after the vicar had finished a eulogy that began with the words "treibeis's maternal grandfather. What can I say about treibeis's maternal grandfather, eh? Well, he loved doing crossword puzzles" and just before the coffin disappeared behind the curtain, Great Aunt Enid, who'd been a bit weepy all day even though she couldn't abide her recently-deceased brother-in-law, wailed, "Our Malcolm! Our Malcolm! I'VE ONLY BEEN AND FORGOT THE BLEDDY WELSH CAKES!"

My sister and I then received a sharp rebuke for "giggling like a pair of bleddy big girl's blouses" from some elderly relative we'd never seen before.
                              How did Ray Houghton kill your grandfather?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                I did force my children to try and learn "Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus" which is how I have always said it.
                                That's what I was taught at school. Probably another one of those pesky regional variations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                  How did Ray Houghton kill your grandfather?
                                  Ray Houghton, the bastard, scored the goal against Italy in the 1994 World Cup that made my maternal grandfather so happy that he downed a bottle of Teacher's whisky to celebrate.

My maternal grandfather was found the following day in bed, fully clothed and still clutching the bottle of whisky, but as dead as dead could be.

Comment

Wow. What a way to go.

And a tidy combo of Irish, Welsh and, uh, Scotch, to boot.

Comment

Welsh cakes should only be made by your mam. I tried to make some and they ended up as Welsh biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        uh, Scotch, to boot.
                                        Make that a double considering Houghton's accent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X