True? Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True? Discuss.

"Seek among men, from beggar to millionaire, one who is contented with his lot, and you will not find one such in a thousand. Today we must buy an overcoat and galoshes. Tomorrow, a watch and chain; the next day we must install ourselves in an apartment with a sofa and a bronze lamp; then we must have carpets and velvet gowns; then a house, horses and carriages, paintings and decorations."

Leo Tolstoy

True? Discuss.

Where would you go, nowadays, to buy 'galoshes'?

Millets? Army and Navy?

Comment

True? Discuss.

velvet gowns
      Shag-tastic, Leo, baby!

Comment

True? Discuss.

I have been trying to find galoshes but no-one seems to do them. They all seem to do those lined waterproof trousers. I want waterproof overtrousers

Comment

True? Discuss.

I haven't seen the word 'galoshes' since a particularly hairy Dennis The Menace comic where Dennis spent the whole strip wondering what galoshes were after his dad had asked him to fetch them.

The dopey fucker went all over town (the baker, the butcher etc.) asking for them until he finally find out they were sturdy shoes and he got the traditional whacking.

Comment

True? Discuss.

This hasn't gone the way I'd hoped it would. The chances were barely 50/50 though, weren't they?

Comment

True? Discuss.

That depends. There seems to be a bit of discrepancy over what they are, exactly. I thought they were those rubber overshoes you protect your good shoes with in the slushy months. Those, I hate.

But apparently they can also be 'sturdy rubber boots'. Can't see having an issue with those.

I'd fancy a brass lamp, too.

Comment

True? Discuss.

fuck bronze lamps, I want a gold one.

Comment

True? Discuss.

Tolstoy. Leo. Leo, me old chum, me old mucker. Right now, I'd love to be a millionaire. No, I wouldn't be outrightly content with my lot, but be a little more relaxed. And with acceptable footwear.

Comment

True? Discuss.

Blah-de-blah, miserable in comfort, blah-de-blah.

Comment

True? Discuss.

I rub shoulders with a lot of self-made millionaires, Clayton-le-Woods being Lancashire's mini-mart version of Alderley Edge. It's definitely true to say that none of them are ever truly happy with their lot, moaning about how the two-bed villa they own in Spain is very nice, but friends of theirs have just bought one that's nearer the coast, and has a heated pool, and it's terrible how they couldn't afford to buy Leanne a house to live in while she was at University and she's had to rent a flat while she's there.

For some people, it seems having money and possessions is a prop to their self-esteem, masking the fact that deep down they are desperately sad and boring people, with a shit love life and nothing that brings them joy other than the fleeting smell of the upholstery in a new car.

To these people, I say release yourself from this spiral of misery. Forget chasing your dreams. Give your money instead to the Church of Rogin, and take your happiness from the thought of your church spending that money helping fallen women, and impoverished publicans.

Comment

True? Discuss.

Very Philanthropical of you, Rogin, to lighten the burden of these misguided souls having all that money, can anybody join your church?

Comment

True? Discuss.

I prefer my pair of Hunters to galoshes.

Comment

True? Discuss.

The Buddhist thing about desire being the root of misery is spot on, I say.

Comment

True? Discuss.

I rub shoulders with a lot of self-made millionaires
                              Is that to build up a static charge so you stick to them and get taken home?

Comment

True? Discuss.

delicatemoth wrote:
                                The Buddhist thing about desire being the root of misery is spot on, I say.
                                Hmm, I think it's problematic, for reasons I've gone into before. For a start, it would appear to mean we should all desire not to desire anything. Work needs doing on that paradox; the kind them Buddhists never put in.

Comment

True? Discuss.

I'm telling you, the Church of Rogin is your only true path to happiness. Donate as freely as you wish, your happiness will only increase with each donation.

Comment

True? Discuss.

You want to be talking to Purves Grundy. Seems like he's got half-a-million to throw away...

Comment

True? Discuss.

He's going to be plumbing the hot tub, I mean baptism pool, into the basilica.

Comment

Working...
                                      X