Working in front of a camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an interview at a TV News company this evening that involves me having to do a screen test, and frankly I know expletive all about working in TV and being in front of a camera. You might ask 'why the expletive are you applying for something you are clearly not qualified for?', but put those thoughts to the back of your mind and HELP ME.

Smart arse remarks are not welcome.

Talk slower than normal and with clarity, don't say "er" or "you know", just pause. I guess if your face fits, it fits.

Good luck.

Comment

The big skill is not being fazed and appearing natural often when somone is telling you things in your earpiece.

It's not incredibly difficult- just look at some of the people who do it for a living. But there is a knack to it. To be good at being yourself. Relax into it. Key thing is practice - even using a still camera and getting feedback about how you come over will help. what people respond to on Tv is "genuineness" and that you can cope when people are watching what you do.

Be confident speak clearly and precisely, don't blink too much, or make wild hand gestures. If you make a mistake on the screen test ask if you can go again. Again that's normal for professionals.

Don't bluff if you feel things are gettting out of hand say you've had a lot of journalistic experience and writing but you're not so experienced in front of a camera. The stuff that is really useful for newsreading remains empolying well informed journalists since that's the best way of preventing stupid mistakes.

Good luck

Comment

Liquidator's Screen Test Still:-

Comment

Avoid:

Comment

Hobbes - that's awful and you're very naughty!

(Now if only I could stop grinning.)

Comment

Where's that sports reporter clip about College GridIron... That should get you in the mood.

Comment

Don't wear stripes.

Comment

You mean basketball? "Boom goes the dynamite"?

Comment

Whatever you do, don't laugh.

Comment

I can't look at Youtube at work, but can someone find the clip of the guy that got interviewed and threw up on the desk?

Don't do that, Liq.

Comment

That's the one!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

Comment

Imagine you're reading a story to a 4 year old - that's the pace at which you should speak. Anything faster starts to be intense.

Comment

I enjoyed being on TV, and was quite relaxed. Until the second time I was about to say something stupid, improvised an answer and grimaced. On account of that, I hate watching it. Nobody else thinks I looked like an idiot – I got a few "you looked sexy" comments even – but the lesson is not to say more than you have to, lest you get yourself all tied up.

Comment

Working...
                            X