Previously Unheard Rhyming Slang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    He was having a Turkish at your Sicilian; you should have told him to sling his Martina.
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what I said to him. "You're having a delight at my mamma. Go sling your Navratilova."
    Last edited by treibeis; 29-01-2018, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
      He may well have been taking the Sir Arthur, but I'm not sure. (Or do I have to write "I'm not Dudley/Roger/Bobby"?)
      Sir Arthur, who he? A common one was 'having a J Arthur' (Rank) in my youth, but the elevation to a knighthood has defeated me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
        Sir Arthur, who he? A common one was 'having a J Arthur' (Rank) in my youth, but the elevation to a knighthood has defeated me.
        Sir Arthur Bliss. You faahkin' ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
          A common one was 'having a J Arthur' (Rank) in my youth
          Also, having a 'Sherman' (tank) or a 'Barclays' (bank).

Comment

I was wondering what cod liver oil had to do with it.

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
            Funnily enough, that's exactly what I said to him. "You're having a delight at my mamma. Go sling your Navratilova."
            If you're going to abruptly switch to female tennis ace rhyming slang, strictly speaking he was having a Steffi.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              I was wondering what cod liver oil had to do with it.

If you're going to abruptly switch to female tennis ace rhyming slang, strictly speaking he was having a Steffi.
              No, ice cream, YOU'RE having a Steffi. I, on the other hand, am currently having a Venus - at your expense.

Comment

Totally Evonne.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  Following a link or two about Polari reveals this little beauty from only last year, which I'd not come across before:
                  "C of E college apologises for students' attempt to 'queer evening prayer'" (The Guardian)
                  or "Church expresses ‘huge regret’ after Cambridge LGBT commemoration service held in gay slang language" (The Independent)
                  OoooOOOOH! Tres bold. How did I miss that?

Comment

That lamb jalfrezi last night has given me a real pain in the Billie-Jean.

Comment

"So 'e says to me, 'lend us your Virginia' - and I'm like 'do me a favour, I'd 'ave to go up into the Annabel for that!' Next Billie-Jean I know, 'e's dialled himself an Anka and buggered orff!" (Yeah, I know. Needs work.)

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                      Also, having a 'Sherman' (tank) or a 'Barclays' (bank).
                      A 'Jodrell' as well, apparently.

I've also heard 'Tommy Tank' many times, but it's weak as p*ss. Sounds like it was made up by some young middle-class buck who doesn't quite get it.

Comment

I always understood karzi (as said) to have come from an African language word for latrine.

Comment

Working...
                        X