• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previously Unheard Rhyming Slang

You're having a Turkish.

Bath/laugh?

Nope, me neither.

Comment

Some comedy troupe or other did a skit on this, of which a friend sent me a Youtube video a year or so back - "you're 'aving a bubble, you're 'aving a Turkish" etc. I've never heard anyone use it other than in that skit, but then I rarely go up to that Lunnon.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
        Bath/laugh?

Nope, me neither.
        Delight/ shite?

Comment

Coffee / um... toffee?

Comment

I've had the misfortune / stupidity to read Martina Cole books. "Turkish" appears every ten pages.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
              I've had the misfortune / stupidity to read Martina Cole books.
              I haven't read any but they look like a right load of kebap.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                Delight/ shite?
                Yeah, that's how I've heard it used, but that doesn't fit with GOs opening post.

Comment

'Turkish bath / laugh' doesn't even work, ffs.

'Giraffe' was, I thought, the current vernacular. (One could also apply the EastEnders-preferred 'Woddareyooooou? Saaaahm kind of double-yolker?')

Comment

Do people generally find Cockney rhyming slang quaint and humourous or really fucking boneheaded and aggravating? (I don't want to tip my hand, so I'll remain quiet til others have answered.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      'Turkish bath / laugh' doesn't even work, ffs.
                      Ooh, 'ark at Little Lord Fauntleroy, 'ere. Wossee talkin' 'baaaht?

To WOM's question, I'm not a huge fan but then I'm not a cockney so that might be evidence that it still achieves its original purpose.

Comment

Well, it ain't gonna resonate much in Toronto, I guess.

In my opinion, there's more fun to be had from inventing your own. (Well, a 'little' more fun...) Whatever, it's a mildly entertaining way of irritating people in one's company.

Comment

I tried to work out where kazzi (toilet) came from, and the only thing I can think of is kamikaze/shitting your pants. I know it isn't rhyming slang, but it isn't always.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                            I tried to work out where kazzi (toilet) came from, and the only thing I can think of is kamikaze/shitting your pants. I know it isn't rhyming slang, but it isn't always.
                            Either a corruption of casa or rhyming slang for Benghazi (it says 'ere) https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/khazi

Comment

Should have thought about Wiki. Thanks ad.

Comment

I’m sure Danny Dyer has made up a few for Stenders. He has some input, and tries to say “nut” as much as possible.

Btw, if you’re bored, I recommend watching the last episode on catch-up. It is well mental, includes a pwoper Cockney knees-up and a dogshit plot.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                  Do people generally find Cockney rhyming slang quaint and humourous or really fucking boneheaded and aggravating? (I don't want to tip my hand, so I'll remain quiet til others have answered.)
                                  I like reading it and working out where the words come from, but I wouldn't fancy talking to anybody for a prolonged amount of time who insisted on using it excessively.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a Cockney, although I did live in London for a few years, during which I heard very little Cockney rhyming slang.

Comment

The only rhyming slang term that I heard with any regularity (and occasionally used) when I lived in London is 'pony'.

Comment

It’s really not the case that only cockneys use rhyming slang. I believe ‘pitmatic’ (miners’ slang) had examples, to get things past foremen and ‘Ruby Murray’ ‘Teddy Bears’ are two common west of Scotland ones. The latter wouldn’t even work in a cockney accent

Comment

One or two pieces of rhyming slang seem to have become part of the wider language - like "butcher's"

Comment

I do wonder how that happened. Would it have been it's use in film, television and literature?

I was reminded today (by a board member on twitter) about Polari was there much penetration into every day english there?

The only rhyming slang I've ever knowingly used is Pete Tong, and that doesn't count does it? As you use the whole phrase rather than just part of it.

Comment

Polari is strange, because you really have to be of a certain age to have known about it. Or learn it from a person of a certain age. I can't think of a single word that is in common use today. Sure, you'll get the odd "eek" or "bona" if you are talking to someone of a certain age and/or persuasion, and I have a friend in France who sprinkles his speech with the odd euphemism, but he would only do that if the people he is talking to, knew what the fuck he was on about.

Comment

I'll still use 'syrup', and one which may or not be family only: "Quentin" meaning dog.

Comment

I used "skyrocket" in a text the other day, but then I'm a terrible, terrible dickhead.

Comment

I go for a Gladys every morning and after dinner.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X