In the meantime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the meantime

What's the best way to get to Greenwich from Heathrow? Some kind of eternal tube journey followed by the DLR?

Depends on how much you want to pay. I'd get the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then to Baker Street (Bakerloo or Circle or Hammersmith & City), Jubilee to Canning Town, then DLT to City Airport. Takes about an hour airport to airport. Takes longer but is cheaper to get Piccadilly line to Green park and swicth to Jubilee. and on to Canning Town.

Comment

Wait a year and take the Crossrail.

Not sure why NHH is suggesting going to City Airport, but once you're on the Jubilee, you can go straight to North Greenwich (which is some distance from Greenwich town centre, admittedly). If you want fewest changes, you could get the Piccadilly to Green Park and then Jubilee. The Piccadilly leg is very slow though. If you are indeed heading to the town centre, rather than, say, the O2, you could change at Canary Wharf for the DLR to Cutty Sark. Alternatively just hop on a bus at North Greenwich.
      Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 08-01-2018, 10:35.

Comment

Thanks both.

My hotel is fairly central in Greenwich I have discovered - not far from the Cutty Sark, but possibly more usefully not far from the railway station, which of course hadn't previously occurred to me. Trains to Greenwich leave from London Bridge?

Comment

Have you considered a boat?

There’s a Clipper service that starts at Westminster and goes to Greenwich proper

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Thanks both.

My hotel is fairly central in Greenwich I have discovered - not far from the Cutty Sark, but possibly more usefully not far from the railway station, which of course hadn't previously occurred to me. Trains to Greenwich leave from London Bridge?
            They do now, yes. Also Cannon Street, but I doubt that would be particularly useful for you.

If you fancy meeting for a drink in town, and/or need any recommendations, let me know.

Comment

Personally I'd give Heathrow Express a swerve. It's very expensive and only gets you to Paddington from where you've then got at least two changes. Presumably you have baggage so could do without too many changes and changes where there's a trek between trains. Personally I'd be looking at taking the tube. You don't say which terminal you'll be arriving at but the tube serves them all. So Piccadilly line to South Kensington, then Circle/District to Cannon Street and train from there to Greenwich. I'd avoid London Bridge as it's a long way from the tube to the rail platforms.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm only coming for the weekend, flying in Friday and back out Sunday for work, so not sure if I will have any free time (possibly Saturday night, though I know Friday night is already taken). This also means I will have very minimal luggage, so while I don't want to be doing too much traipsing, a few tube station stairways and corridors will not be a major issue. I had thought about the river UA, but (a) it's January, and I have to assume the weather wont be terribly good; and (b) it takes a fair while in my experience. It is an enjoyable and attractive option though. The Piccadilly tube line from LHR I'm very (very) familiar with and it doesnt really bother me . I know it takes a long time, but it's not that bad (especially if you get on at the terminus as I'll be doing). Capybara's suggestion looks like the most logical for now. Good to know about Cannon Street.

Comment

The TFL journey planner which Ive only just discovered suggests Piccadilliy to Green park, Jubilee to London Bridge and thence to Greenwich. (Or very slightly faster, but significantly more expensive Heathrow Express to Paddington, Bakerloo to baker Street, Jubilee to London Bridge). The other slightly leftfield option seems to be Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway, Central Line to Bank, walk to Cannon Street and on.

Comment

I have no idea why I interpreted your first message as about City Airport...

I'd get to Paddington on the Heathrow Express, then either take the Bakerloo to Waterloo and walk to waterloo East for a train to Greenwich, or get to Baker Street then get a Jubillee Line to London Brigde for a train, or to North Greenwich for a bus to Greenwich (with added desolation).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      The TFL journey planner which Ive only just discovered suggests Piccadilliy to Green park, Jubilee to London Bridge and thence to Greenwich. (Or very slightly faster, but significantly more expensive Heathrow Express to Paddington, Bakerloo to baker Street, Jubilee to London Bridge). The other slightly leftfield option seems to be Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway, Central Line to Bank, walk to Cannon Street and on.
                      Yes, via Green Park and London Bridge makes sense if you don't have much luggage.

Comment

If you're near the overground station, that first option makes the most sense. I'd avoid both the central line and Bank station if you can.

Comment

Having checked to find out that Heathrow Connect is not Oyster-card friendly, I'd eliminated the Bank route anyway.

Comment

Indeed, weather and time are the downsides of anything involving the river, but it can be a fun alternative.

Now that I've looked at a map, it would be Heathrow Express to Paddington, Bakerloo to Embankment and Clipper or Picadilly to Green Park, Jubilee to Westminster, Clipper.

I also agree that the Picadilly isn't that bad coming in without serious luggage. Going out, and with luggage, can be another story.

An advantage of using London Bridge is that the redesigned station just opened. It looks quite nice, if very airport like.

Comment

Mornington Crescent in five.

I love threads like this – ask six people for suggestions on how to navigate across London on public transport and you'll get six different routes, with six different explanations for why the others are problematic due to access/connections/events/works/weather/cost etc. I'm not going to add anything AH, as I think all bases are just about covered at this point, other than to hope you enjoy your stay and wish you a smooth journey – preferably one that isn't too ruinously expensive.
                              Last edited by Various Artist; 08-01-2018, 15:19.

Comment

Ultimately someone else will be paying for my journey anyway, but they're nice people and I'd rather do it cost-effectively as possible.

Comment

I love threads like this – ask six people for suggestions on how to navigate across London on public transport and you'll get six different routes, with six different explanations for why the others are problematic due to access/connections/events/works/weather/cost etc.
                                  To be fair, Greenwich is particularly problematic as a) Greenwich proper has no underground station, and b) all of its transport links other than the O2 hub are slow and require changes to go any real distance.

Comment

The Citymapper app will give you a real-time fastest route, if that's any help?

Comment

Heathrow-Holborn-Bank-Cutty Sark DLR
                                      Journey time around 75 mins?

Comment

The little google planner thing is always fun: logo...icon...walk...logo...icon....walk...logo... .logo. And some of the 'walk' sections appear to be about twenty feet, while others are half a mile.

Comment

Heathrow-Holborn-Bank-Cutty Sark DLR
                                          I don't recommend this. Certainly, if you're going via Bank, you might as well get out of the station and walk the 50 yards to Cannon Street. But navigating Holborn and Bank isn't fun, even without luggage. Not quite as bad on a weekend, I suppose.

Comment

That rarest of things, a Spacehog earworm.

Comment

I'd aim to get to either London Bridge or Cannon Street ad hoc, the DLR is nice but slow. Holborn and Bank are horrendous.

Have a safe trip and hope you're getting better.

Comment

I used to do this journey regularly, but haven't done it since I stopped working for BC. There's only one route worth taking, imo:

Piccadilly line to Green Park (get a magazine from WH Smiths and enjoy it for 50 minutes)
                                                Jubilee Line from Green Park to Canary Wharf
                                                DLR from Heron Quay to either Cutty Sark or Greenwich.

Should take 1 hour 30 minutes. Don't take the Heathrow Express, Getting from Paddington to anywhere in South East London is a nightmare.
                                                I wouldn't take the overground train from London Bridge, it's to get the right platform, frequently delayed and there's just no need if you're already on the Jubilee Line.

Comment

Isn't the change at Green Park a long one?

Heathrow-Hammersmith-Cannon Street- Greenwich?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X