Razor blade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Razor blade question

I've a 1970s(?) Tonal twin-blade razor. It's a beautiful thing, excellent balance. But I haven't used it in years so forgotten which "system's" blades it takes. There's an old blade in it which has no markings other than 'WW24.' The razor itself has a "double claw" blade grip, that holds the blade like a pair of pincers. No blade packaging ever shows the rear fitting (of course!) and it's impossible to guess from the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I left the question on the 'Badger and Blade' MB several days ago, but it's tumbleweed on there.

This any good for you?

Comment

Sadly — as noted in my OP — I left a message on that thread several days ago with no results so far.

Comment

The Trac II (G II in Europe) was introduced in 1971. It was the first mass produced twin blade razor and one slid the blades onto the handle from left to right, so that they were held by top and bottom flanges on the blade.

The next generation was called the Atra, and had pincers rather than the sliding mechanism, which sounds more like what you have.

An Atra handle

If it isn't an Atra or a Trac II, it likely isn't a Gillette, as their successors had three blades.
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 05-01-2018, 22:58.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's an Atra II. I found a side on picture of the blade and it looks right. Ta muchly.

Comment

Wilkinson single blade which is as sharp as fuck but increasingly harder to find these days. Razor is a metal one given to me by my dad so must be at least 70 years old and works beautifully on my dark and heavy beard.

Comment

I got a cut-throat razor and strop for Christmas. I have shaved with it twice. I have to say that I haven't been entirely successful. I don't know whether it isn't sharp enough, I am not lathering up enough or that I am just too shit-scared to really go for it. Advice I have seen is that you do downward strokes for everything above the jawline and upwards for everything below. Anyone else got one?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                Advice I have seen is that you do downward strokes for everything above the jawline and upwards for everything below. Anyone else got one?
                Hang on a minute. You're 51 years old and you don't know how to shave? Give me strength.

Comment

No, no. With a razor, I do downward strokes everywhere and then upstrokes. I just wondered if it was different with a cut-throat.

Comment

I just use an electric. No mess and no cuts for several years now.

Comment

Merkur safety razor and a single blade. It's maybe a bit profligate to use a blade once but when you can get 300 for a tenner...

Comment

I use one of these:

Utterly reliable, and if I make a mistake, I won't know about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X