No announcement yet.

Ahed Tamimi and other Palestinians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehow that has never really bothered proponents of Loyalty Oaths here, which have a long history

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

[QUOTE=ad hoc;1502980]Thanks for the information about the Lebanese immigrant community in West Africa. I had no idea that there was such a huge diaspora there. [quote]

The term Lebanese is somewhat misleading. Lebanon, Palastine and didn't exist at the time when many of their ancestors left. Additionally, many identified as Lebanese due to the negative connotations of Palestine.

The arguments against them trouble me somewhat though - in the same way that arguments about immigrants tend to do everywhere. The tone in this case reminds me of European antisemitism - "people of the levant" who are successful in business. I mean there are differences because of historical power relationships, but there is something troubling about it.
      I fully understand your discomfort. I can only talk of the experience of people I know personally who have been on the end of their sharp business practices. Back in the day, their main business was the import trade (Cars, household furniture, Air conditioning units, generators and other luxury items). They would pay off the customs officers to fast track their goods and fustrate their potential competitors with red tape. You can see it as either clever business practice or profiteering off sharp practices and encouraging corruption an graft.
      Nowadays, they are more into the construction and service industries like building and running hotels, shopping malls, high-end nightclubs etc.

It's interesting you compare them with the Indian population in East Africa - we know what happened to them when Amin came to power
      Hence why I was careful to say accused of rather than give an opinion. I'm not East African nor lived there. With that being said, I have been assured by my East African friends the sentiment pre-dated Amin.

Thanks for the rest of your post. I don't disagree . Yes he made a speech that was dangerous to his career. I'd say that is the fault of the prevailing political discourse in the US rather than a fault of his wording. I don't believe people should self censor to try and fit into a box which is, in fact, racist in the first place. However, as you have pointed out, he seems to have made his name through doing precisely that within the US's discourse on racism at home.

I think that the phrase "from the river to the sea" originated with one of the early Zionists. Ben Gurion maybe, or someone like that. It's certainly not an invention and copyright of Hamas, as it is being presented. Calling for freedom from the river to the sea is actually an effective phrase, to be honest. It is clearly about both communities, about everyone in that geographical space
      Here's the little Snake trying to get back into the black community's good books whilst trying to explain his behaviour on the breakfast club. Safe the say the response has been very very negative.

I expect the rest will be fired next.
      Angela Rye and Vann Jones.

Comment

Comment

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/50787.htm

Good article from Gideon Levy.

Comment

Netanyahu‘s coalition has collapsed.

Parliament to be dissolved; elections in April.

Comment

We have to face reality. We are witnessing the flourishing of a Jewish Ku Klux Klan movement.

Like the members of the KKK, the Jewish rioters throw stones, shoot, and set fire to homes, and in one instance, even burned down a house with its residents inside. And like the American Klan at its height, the Jewish Klan also enjoys law enforcement authorities who turn a blind eye.

Comment

Amos Oz RIP

Comment

This is worth reading.

Ten years after the first war on Gaza, Israel still plans endless brute force

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard

Comment

thanks for that link ad hoc.

Comment

Comment

Analysis of the anti Palestinian bias in the 5 major US newspapers
                        https://palestinesquare.com/2019/01/...ines-says-yes/

Comment

Once again Haaretz proves to be a significantly better newspaper than pretty much every paper in the UK or US

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...ment-1.6826121

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X