• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every word of this https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...144659493.html

Comment

Combative Sueddeutsche Interview with Roger Waters on BDS

Comment

I wish the interviewer had said why he opposed BDS. Waters explains his position (not terribly well at times, but he answers the questions) but aside from asserting "it's antisemitic" the SZ guy never actually explains why or indeed really addresses his own position in the way he asks of Waters

Comment

Even Israel thought Trump was being cruel to the Palestinians. Even Israel, the country that murders, brutalises and oppresses them for kicks. That's how bad Trump's policy is.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1069628314992762881

Comment

Gideon Levy. Why I'm obsessed with the occupation

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.pre...athy-1.6699157

Comment

Richly deserved award https://www.btselem.org/press_releas...n_rights_award

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                petition here

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1068274830666080256

though I think it's just you and me about...
                Good riddance to the man personally, he should know CNN were looking to get rid of him and had the opportunity to leave with his integrity intact a few weeks ago.
                As a professor and a learned man, he should have known that there were better subjects to risk losing his job for.

Comment

Seanad (upper house of Irish parliament) passes the Occupied Territories Bill, prohibiting imports from Jewish settlements.

Comment

To TG : You'll have to run that by me. He has left with his integrity intact. To be honest enhanced (I'll confess I'd never heard of him before this). And what better subjects to go to the wall over than protesting against egregious human rights violations and racially motivated mass murder?

Comment

Gideon Levy's latest searing piece for Haaretz. This is the reality for every Palestinian. Anyone who tries to justify it is nothing but a racist bag of shit
                      https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...heid-1.6723181

Comment

can't read it sadly

https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1072014047246200832

Comment

I'll try and copy paste tomorrow when I am back in front of the computer

Comment

Thanks

https://twitter.com/intifada/status/1071840922722283529?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              To TG : You'll have to run that by me. He has left with his integrity intact. To be honest enhanced (I'll confess I'd never heard of him before this).
                              I first heard about him as he was an apologist for the Trayvon Martin killing. The second time I heard from him was his comments after the death of Frances Cress Welsing.
                              He is one of a raft of those professional black people who got jobs on these news Channels when Obama got elected.
                              A few weeks ago he was "forced" to disavow Minister Farrakhan, he should have walked then.

And what better subjects to go to the wall over than protesting against egregious human rights violations and racially motivated mass murder?
                              Those things are taking place alot closer to his home than Palestine.
                              I would say the same thing to a Palestinian who was afforded the opportunity to talk at the UN and then made a speech about police brutality in the US inner cities against black people.
                              However Mark Lamont Hill chose to soft shoe about that and go hard on behalf of the Palestinians.

Actually, Deontay Wilder puts it better than me.

I should point out that I sympathise with their cause (despite they behaviour towards my people in West Africa). It's about priorities.
                              Last edited by Tactical Genius; 10-12-2018, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                I first heard about him as he was an apologist for the Trayvon Martin killing. The second time I heard from him was his comments after the death of Frances Cress Welsing.
                                He is one of a raft of those professional black people who got jobs on these news Channels when Obama got elected.
                                A few weeks ago he was "forced" to disavow Minister Farrakhan, he should have walked then.
                                Fair enough, as I said I hadn;t heard of him before the UN speech

Those things are taking place alot closer to his home than Palestine.
                                I would say the same thing to a Palestinian who was afforded the opportunity to talk at the UN and then made a speech about police brutality in the US inner cities against black people.
                                However Mark Lamont Hill chose to soft shoe about that and go hard on behalf of the Palestinians.
                                I wouldn't say he went "hard". He merely pointed out the appalling lack of any kind of freedom and rights. But again, I don't have any reason to disagree with your main point

I should point out that I sympathise with their cause (despite they behaviour towards my people in West Africa). It's about priorities.
                                What have the Palestinians done to your people in West Africa? Seriously. You'll have to educate me here.

Obviously I recognise that there is a lot in common between the Palestinians in Palestine and the black population of the USA (indeed there are increasing numbers of links being made, despite the actions of cunts like Pharrell Williams). The Palestinians exist at an even further end of the continuum of really shit racist oppression that is being done to an entire people, but in general, the situations do have a lot in common

Comment

Not least the fact that most of the weaponry the Police deploy on the streets of US cities is tested first on Palestinians.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    I wouldn't say he went "hard". He merely pointed out the appalling lack of any kind of freedom and rights. But again, I don't have any reason to disagree with your main point
                                    Fair point, but his speech and using the phrase "River to the sea" was clearly going to be seen as controversial regardless of whether he is morally correct or not. Let's be honest, if Marc Lamont hill had sent you a copy of his speech beforehand and asked for your thoughts, I'm sure you would have pointed out that although you may agree with the content, it would be potentially career damaging if not career defending.

What have the Palestinians done to your people in West Africa? Seriously. You'll have to educate me here.
                                    https://www.economist.com/baobab/201.../far-from-home
                                    https://www.asiabyafrica.com/point-a...enship-problem

Lebanese /Palestinians (It was the same place when many came over) are the largest non-African minority in West Africa. They are prevalent in the import/Export business and are well know for their sharp practices and their treatment of locals similar to what Indians were accused of in post colonial Kenya and Uganda and what the Chinese are increasingly being accused of throughout the continent.

Obviously I recognise that there is a lot in common between the Palestinians in Palestine and the black population of the USA (indeed there are increasing numbers of links being made, despite the actions of cunts like Pharrell Williams). The Palestinians exist at an even further end of the continuum of really shit racist oppression that is being done to an entire people, but in general, the situations do have a lot in common
                                    I googled Pharrell and saw this...
                                    https://www.iol.co.za/entertainment/...s-gig-18114668

The biggest shock was Ziggy Marley, his dad must be rolling in his grave.
                                    I agree with the rest of what you say. My point is, if you are going to risk your career on standing up for an oppressed people, then its logical that you do it for your own?

If he was white, he is free to champion the cause for any disenfranchised people he likes as his people are not oppressed (despite what the Proud boys and the EDL say). I hope that clarifies my point.
                                    Last edited by Tactical Genius; 11-12-2018, 14:01.

Comment

Thanks for the information about the Lebanese immigrant community in West Africa. I had no idea that there was such a huge diaspora there. The arguments against them trouble me somewhat though - in the same way that arguments about immigrants tend to do everywhere. The tone in this case reminds me of European antisemitism - "people of the levant" who are successful in business. I mean there are differences because of historical power relationships, but there is something troubling about it. It's interesting you compare them with the Indian population in East Africa - we know what happened to them when Amin came to power

Thanks for the rest of your post. I don't disagree . Yes he made a speech that was dangerous to his career. I'd say that is the fault of the prevailing political discourse in the US rather than a fault of his wording. I don't believe people should self censor to try and fit into a box which is, in fact, racist in the first place. However, as you have pointed out, he seems to have made his name through doing precisely that within the US's discourse on racism at home.

I think that the phrase "from the river to the sea" originated with one of the early Zionists. Ben Gurion maybe, or someone like that. It's certainly not an invention and copyright of Hamas, as it is being presented. Calling for freedom from the river to the sea is actually an effective phrase, to be honest. It is clearly about both communities, about everyone in that geographical space

Comment

Natalie Portman

https://twitter.com/themiamivoice/status/1074088162723549184

Comment

Holy shit

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/...-anti-bds-law/

Comment

It's pretty astonishing that a country with the right of free speech embedded in its constitution is prepared to give up that right of free speech about what can be said about another country.

Comment

Somehow that has never really bothered proponents of Loyalty Oaths here, which have a long history

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

[QUOTE=ad hoc;1502980]Thanks for the information about the Lebanese immigrant community in West Africa. I had no idea that there was such a huge diaspora there. [quote]

The term Lebanese is somewhat misleading. Lebanon, Palastine and didn't exist at the time when many of their ancestors left. Additionally, many identified as Lebanese due to the negative connotations of Palestine.

The arguments against them trouble me somewhat though - in the same way that arguments about immigrants tend to do everywhere. The tone in this case reminds me of European antisemitism - "people of the levant" who are successful in business. I mean there are differences because of historical power relationships, but there is something troubling about it.
                                                I fully understand your discomfort. I can only talk of the experience of people I know personally who have been on the end of their sharp business practices. Back in the day, their main business was the import trade (Cars, household furniture, Air conditioning units, generators and other luxury items). They would pay off the customs officers to fast track their goods and fustrate their potential competitors with red tape. You can see it as either clever business practice or profiteering off sharp practices and encouraging corruption an graft.
                                                Nowadays, they are more into the construction and service industries like building and running hotels, shopping malls, high-end nightclubs etc.

It's interesting you compare them with the Indian population in East Africa - we know what happened to them when Amin came to power
                                                Hence why I was careful to say accused of rather than give an opinion. I'm not East African nor lived there. With that being said, I have been assured by my East African friends the sentiment pre-dated Amin.

Thanks for the rest of your post. I don't disagree . Yes he made a speech that was dangerous to his career. I'd say that is the fault of the prevailing political discourse in the US rather than a fault of his wording. I don't believe people should self censor to try and fit into a box which is, in fact, racist in the first place. However, as you have pointed out, he seems to have made his name through doing precisely that within the US's discourse on racism at home.

I think that the phrase "from the river to the sea" originated with one of the early Zionists. Ben Gurion maybe, or someone like that. It's certainly not an invention and copyright of Hamas, as it is being presented. Calling for freedom from the river to the sea is actually an effective phrase, to be honest. It is clearly about both communities, about everyone in that geographical space
                                                Here's the little Snake trying to get back into the black community's good books whilst trying to explain his behaviour on the breakfast club. Safe the say the response has been very very negative.

I expect the rest will be fired next.
                                                Angela Rye and Vann Jones.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1076638598399553536

Comment

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/50787.htm

Good article from Gideon Levy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X