Christmas Board game recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    I'd say that learning about European geography is important to kids all around the world, just as for a European child it's good to have some idea about Asia or South America and so on and so forth. I'm constantly amazed about the basic lack of knowledge of the world in many people I meet, though, and I'm referring to adults as well. Anyway, mild rant over and thanks for the advice above. Maybe next Christmas...
    True, but the original edition is basically the USA and while it's not useless for a child in Europe (or elsewhere) to learn about the geography of the USA it's also not massively useful. Also, the European edition not only teaches geography but gives you history too as it includes place names like Danzig and Smyrna

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
      Play That Tune (also not a board game) was well worth the fiver it cost.
      The kazoos one? I got that for my birthday yesterday and we played it last night. My full blown (leave it) rendition of Born to Run confused the assembled masses, I though it was obvious.

We also played it at a new year's eve party, where one of the attendees has recently had cancer related surgery. She was initially a bit embarrassed to have a go, given she is in her 70s and not really down with most of the song titles on the cards. The woman sitting next to her, who was quite a loud, blustery woman (she'd earlier said to me, "we go to lots of concerts, but you won't have heard of any of the bands we see - we went to see a band called AC/DC", stringing out the pronunciation like she was a tourist spelling out an address to an elderly local), got the wrong end of the stick and loudly announced to the room "she doesn't want to do it, she doesn't want to get everyone's germs, which is understandable IN HER CONDITION". Prompting the former to snatch the kazoo off her shouty neighbour and give a spirited and possibly sarcastic rendition of A Hard Day's Night.

Comment

There's also a My First Ticket to Ride for really young kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          True, but the original edition is basically the USA and while it's not useless for a child in Europe (or elsewhere) to learn about the geography of the USA it's also not massively useful.
          It also includes some less-than-obvious destinations like Sault Ste Marie and Helena, which means I often spend most of my go trying to remember where I'm actually trying to get to on the map. I'd like to think it's educational, except I forget all about those places again as soon as the game goes back in its box.

Comment

Which is why board games should always be out of their boxes, truly living, entertaining and informing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              The kazoos one? I got that for my birthday yesterday and we played it last night. My full blown (leave it) rendition of Born to Run confused the assembled masses, I though it was obvious.

We also played it at a new year's eve party, where one of the attendees has recently had cancer related surgery. She was initially a bit embarrassed to have a go, given she is in her 70s and not really down with most of the song titles on the cards. The woman sitting next to her, who was quite a loud, blustery woman (she'd earlier said to me, "we go to lots of concerts, but you won't have heard of any of the bands we see - we went to see a band called AC/DC", stringing out the pronunciation like she was a tourist spelling out an address to an elderly local), got the wrong end of the stick and loudly announced to the room "she doesn't want to do it, she doesn't want to get everyone's germs, which is understandable IN HER CONDITION". Prompting the former to snatch the kazoo off her shouty neighbour and give a spirited and possibly sarcastic rendition of A Hard Day's Night.
              That's the one.

I admit I'm not keen on blowing on someone else's kazoo. Perhaps the rules contain some helpful steers re: hygiene. I've not checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                It also includes some less-than-obvious destinations like Sault Ste Marie.
                Ha. This was the first place in Canada I ever heard of (as a result of family emigrating there fifty years back).

Comment

Pronounced “Soo”, fact fans

Comment

Is Ste pronounced like Ste or Sant?

Comment

The full name is rarely used. It's simply 'The Soo'.

[SooSaint Marie. The first two words are pronounced as one.]

Comment

Working...
                      X