Seaside Resorts Without Pier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Weston-Super-Mare, now Fleetwood. Does someone have a vendetta?

You should've called the thread Pier-less Resorts...

And the answer is "Yes, developers"...

Comment

Reports suggest the owner of this pier applied to build some luxury flats on the site but was turned down. That is unconnected to this unfortunate, unforseen and unexplained blaze.

Comment

Yes, like the Brighton West Pier fire was an entirely innocent event.

Comment

Alternatively:

"Fleetwood Macked"

Comment

There was an old school down our road that similairly had planning permission refused for housing. One fire later and there's about 20 million pounds worth of town houses for sale now.

Comment

Greenock

Comment

Llandudno 1 Rhyl 0

Comment

Mablethorpe never had one, to save itself the disappointment of having it burn down. It's the kind of forward thinking that's made Lincolnshire into one of the most dynamic counties on the east coast of the English midlands.

Comment

Porthcawl.

It did have those swimming pools that get filled up by the sea although those have been shut down for H & S reasons. Not entirely unrelated, I found a dead dog fish in one once.

Porthcawl does however now have a concrete beach.

The twats.

I don't think Hastings has a pier, does it?

Comment

Hastings does have a pier. When I saw the pictures of a pier on fire I thought it might be Hastings. It's been shut for a while, as far as I know.

Comment

Barry Island.

Although that is rapidly becoming a seaside resort without a seaside resort.

Comment

Almost all of Hastings Pier is shut, apart from one room at the very top of it, which smells of rot and has a handful of penny arcade machines in it that have all been switched off. It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the rest of it would be terribly safe if you walked along it.

Comment

Barcelona

Comment

200: you dont live in Hastings do you?

I had a dalliance with a person there, and I fucking hated every single second spent in that shithole of a town.

(Obvious stuff, aside)

(I note you are open to offers, 200, team wise... I would suggest Queens Park. They have history, a decent ground, and I can get you freebie tickets.)

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                                Greenock
                                In their wildest dreams, even with Garry Cook of Nikechester City spouting his marketing bollocks there is no way on earth the Greenock tourist industry would be able to market Greenock as a seaside resort.

Comment

isnt Greenock on the sea? I cant remember... I do remember going on a boat there as a kid (Waverley, I think) and we made the fastest ever stop there. ('Quick, lets get the fuck out before someone nicks the paddle')

Comment

Gero: I live in Brighton, but did make an appallingly ill-thought out decision to go to Hastings for the day earlier this summer, partly because my parents went there in their honeymoon in 1959. It's an amazingly horrible place.

Thank you for the kind offer regarding Queens Park - they may well have been my team of choice had I ever lived in Glasgow (actually, the chances are that my team of choice in Glasgow would be Partick Thistle, because they hosted the only Scottish match I've ever been to).

Isn't Greenock in the mouth of the Clyde, or something? I'm only saying that because the photos of Morton's ground always have those massive ship--building cranes in the background.

Comment

I'd say Greenock was on the river as it's on the Firth of Clyde. Mrs Beast is from Greenock and even through her rose tinted Greenockian glasses she doesn't claim it's a premier seaside resort.

However the views across the river are stunning if it ever stops raining.

Comment

I was sort of pisstaking. I am from Glasgow, and I do indeed know that Greenock is on the Clyde.

Not in fact sure that the Waverly stopped at Greenock... I think it took a quick look and fucked off sharpish to Dunoon.

Comment

Sorry gerontophile.

I don't do irony as I'm originally from Dundee

Comment

After Morecambe pier was destroyed by fire twenty years ago they did the old stone jetty up, and I must say it's a real treat to walk along, with the Lake district peaks reflected in the gently rippling waters of the bay.

Then there's Morecambe's other great tourist attraction - come and see it quick, before they tear it down!

Comment

What about

Comment

No, no, no. No, no, no no no no no no no. 'JUG OF TEA £1.50' is what everyone comes to Morecambe to see, not that piece of over-rated tat.

It's changed a bit since my day, mind...

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                                                  After Morecambe pier was destroyed by fire twenty years ago they did the old stone jetty up, and I must say it's a real treat to walk along, with the Lake district peaks reflected in the gently rippling waters of the bay.
                                                  We dragged my niece along there in the rain after the Millers' debacle at Morecambe in April. She hated it until we found a magpie-based hopscotch game in the stones on the way back, which we had to play until we'd finished. And were utterly and completely drenched...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X