Russian translation help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be hugely obliged if someone could give me a rough translation of the poster on this page.

well, being bored, I sent them an email, asking for a translation...

and if they answer, I will set Homeland Security onto them! commies!

Comment

I've got to dash to a conference, but I'll have a look when I get back tonight.

Comment

Cheers, GY, that'd be great.

Comment

BTW, the answer to the question posed by the English title seems to be 575 rubles, but that's pretty much as far as I can get with what little I have left.

Comment

per annum

Comment

That's the one bit I understood, too. I'm trying to understand what it is that costs this amount. I *think* it's the cost of a year of education and the poster is reminding students that their (then) free education is in fact quite expensive.

If so, I would really like to buy this poster, because I've never seen a government try to explain educational subsidies using poster art before. But I'd hate to buy it only to find out it was referring to something else.

Comment

(whisper: I sort of know what I am talking about for once, and you know, I think there is a mis-spelling)

Comment

I'm pretty sure [edit: see below] the topic of the poster as a whole is not specific to education - though education costs are I think one slice of the circular pie depicted (along with other types of public expenditure). It doesn't help that the writing round the pie, and the bit under the "575 rubles per annum" bit is illegibly small. My Russian is a bit rusty, and I don't keep my Russian dictionary at work, but the bit at the top is "HOW MUCH 'FREE' COSTS". Payouts and [somethings] out of public consumption funds amount to.." By "consumption funds" I think they mean funds made available for current spend rather than capital investment.

Edit: on reflection it might all be different elements of education. One of the segments is clearly sport. The problem is that, as noted above, the words round the pie are illegible, so all we have to go on are the pics (since the legible words aren't education specfic. I guess the words under "per annum" might well be "for each spoilt sponging student".

Comment

Agreed, it isn't just education, but also sports facilities, libraries, parks, the zoo, etc.

The style is also interesting given the late 80s date. Were they already into retro Pop Art, or had Peter Max just shown up on the banks of the Volga?

Comment

Payments and privileges from social use funds total 575 rubles per year.

The words on the individual petals are so small and become unclear when you enlarge the picture, but one's definitely "sport," one's "libraries," and another is "houses of culture, clubs." But you get the idea.

Comment

Thanks, 'trope. So would you agree with LM's second interpretation that each probably represents an aspect of spending on students? Houses of culture and clubs sound a lot like student union acitivites (or the communist equivalents thereof).

Comment

I think it's more general than that.

Houses of culture, sports facilities, etc were intended for everyone*, not just students.

* except capitalist running dogs and Kulaks, of course.

Comment

The missing piece of context here, I realise, is that I came across this poster after typing the word "education" into a search box on the poster site.

Doesn't mean you're wrong, Urs - just explains why I'm leaning that way.

Comment

I'm trying to make out more of the text on the petals. The first one in the upper right has education and something else, and another one on the left has "detsadi": kindergartens or maybe nursery schools. But the one below it has something to do with medicine, and the one at the bottom with the sailboat has something to do with sanatoria.

Comment

Gramsci, it's a site that tags posters by colour (so you can match your sofa).

If you want a Soviet education poster, I'd recommend this one.

From a truly fabulous site, btw.

Comment

It is a great site. But he doesn't sell those, does he?

Comment

He/she doesn't have the rights to them, which is a great shame.

Seriously, what OTFer could resist

THE USSR IS A MIGHTY SPORTS POWER!

I'd get one for Hieronymus for Christmas.

Comment

That guy has the coloration of a roasted marshmallow. He needs medical attention, not compeitive sports.

Comment

He also appears to have his head screwed on backwards, but it's the sentiment that counts.

Comment

sorry, this is all I got from my email dystemic:

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your email. I’m afraid our Russian translator is no longer working here, so I don’t have the ability to give you a better translation on the poster. I have attached a larger image in case that may be helpful to you.

Should you have any other questions please feel free to be in touch.

Best,
                                          Tricia Weigold

International Poster Gallery
                                          205 Newbury Street Boston, MA 02116
                                          tel: 617 375 0076 | fax: 617 375 0079
                                          Open Monday through Saturday 10-6 and Sunday noon-6

And the possibility that I might know what I am talking about, sort of left, last night when I stood on my glasses (any fucking Joe 90 impersonations will be dealt with 'thwow him to the fwoor' wise.)

so, sorry.

Comment

Thanks anyway, though. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                            X