Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Bowral - from Don Bradman's nickname
    If you want your small town to get some free advertising, it does help to have a cricketing favourite son. Len Hutton ("Pride of Pudsey"), Ewen Chatfield ("Naenae Express"), etc.

Far-sighted parents from anonymous metropoli should make sure their kids at least spend some time in the sticks, so they can become known as "the Barnstaple Barnacle" or "the Glue from Looe". Put these dumps on the map and free drinks may result (or libel suits if the players get done for match fixing).

Comment

Very true. Shame that Fitzwilliam doesn't lend itself to a pithy sobriquet.

Comment

Glenn McGrath is from Dubbo.

Comment

Various skiing locations here for me: Wengen, Kitzbuhel, Oberstdorf, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bischofshofen, Bergisel, Val d'Isere, Chamonix, Harachov, Falun, Lahti.

Comment

I'd never have heard of the town of Port Vale if it weren't for the team...

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              If you want your small town to get some free advertising, it does help to have a cricketing favourite son. Len Hutton ("Pride of Pudsey"), Ewen Chatfield ("Naenae Express"), etc.

Far-sighted parents from anonymous metropoli should make sure their kids at least spend some time in the sticks, so they can become known as "the Barnstaple Barnacle" or "the Glue from Looe". Put these dumps on the map and free drinks may result (or libel suits if the players get done for match fixing).
              Amateur boxing nicknames used to be like that. Place where the fighter came from (usually somewhere tough) and their job (usually something tough). "Great performance by the Brixton Eel Skinner" and "Another win for the Dundee Rat Catcher", that sort of thing.

You can play the game yourself. You can cheat by including temporary jobs and places you didn't live long. Thus, I become the "Canning Town Meat Packer". It sounds better than the "Cheltenham Tax Assistant".

Comment

I'd be The Llandaff North Bread And Butter Pudding Maker

Comment

You don't have to have done the job and lived in the place at the same time.

Comment

The Bangkok Rape Breeder sounds more fucking psycho than hard boxer.

Toss up between the Micronesia Steward and the Pittsburg Paper Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                      You don't have to have done the job and lived in the place at the same time.
                      My example wasn't co-proximal

Comment

I would be the Spalding chicken-plucker.

NO, WAIT: The Fulham fudge-packer.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 03-03-2018, 16:40.

Comment

Whenever I meet anyone from Denmark or Poland I wow them with my knowledge of small, obscure, provincial towns that I picked up from speedway.

Vojens, Ebsjerg, Slangerup... Lublin, Katowice, Czestochowa...

Comment

The Grounds Maintenance Worker from Fatehpur

The Tewkesbury Youth Worker.

The Cranham English Teacher.

The Deputy Head from Gloucester.

Mmmm. It’s not a foolproof system, is it?

Comment

The Darlo Doleite

Comment

The Brockley Joke Shop Assistant

Comment

The Totton Bloke who takes bottles out of boxes and put them into slightly larger boxes

Comment

The Pinner Printer

Comment

Working...
                                    X