Unlucky Alfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlucky Alfs

I know a bloke who's a caddy on the European PGA Tour. That's right, one of the guys paid to carry the bag, know the pin positions and basically act as on-course psychologist to the tit with the club who's about to win or lose millions.

Now this guy does very well. Don't get me wrong. He's caddied at a couple of Ryder Cups. However. Caddies get paid, basically, 10% of their charges' winnings. The guy I know was one player's caddy ... but left him the year before the latter won the Open (and £1m). Last year he was on a relative unknown's bag in a year when he struggled. He dropped him too, saying that the kid wouldn't get anywhere. This year that player has earnt over €4m in prize money. While my bloke is on a player's bag who hasn't earnt a cent in months.

Anyone else know someone who's just gone from one bad choice to another?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 06-11-2017, 17:22.

Comment

Real Alfs make their own luck and celebrate with chips afterwards.

Comment

I remember Mojo doing a list of this sort of thing, music-wise: guys who'd packed it in with a band about fifteen minutes before they took off and all became gazillionaires.

Comment

Jason Everman is a guy who managed to get fired by both Nirvana and Soundgarden before ending up fighting in Iraw as part of the US Army Rangers. Interesting life story.

Anyway on Unlucky Alfs - Tsutomu_Yamaguchi must be a front-runner.
          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 06-11-2017, 20:39.

Comment

Working...
          X