No announcement yet.

another Shooting in Texas 27 dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is that in order to really put a dent into the problem, background checks and what not aren't enough. We need to ban broad categories of weapons and put gun-makers out of business and do a massive buy-back/confiscation. All the things that the NRA said Obama was going to do (but didn't even attempt, of course). We really need to convince people that the government ought to have a monopoly on violence, that the framers of the constitution weren't infallible, and that guns do not make people more free.

I just don't see how we'll ever get enough support for that kind of thing if we can't even get the politicians to support universal background checks that have 90% support in public polls. With the way the Supreme Court is now and how they overturned 200 years of consensus that the second amendment was not an individual right, we're going to probably have to repeal the second amendment. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

It's a cancer in our culture that is very widespread.

Comment

Well, good luck with all that.

Maybe start by telling people that the NRA isn't actually a civil rights organization, but a gun-manufacturer's lobby group.

Comment

Working...
      X