A spring forward, but no more falls back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spring forward, but no more falls back

Poland passes the first stage of a bill that would permanently place the country on summer time - I know there were problems in Scotland with a similar effort in the Seventies, but surely the brighter evenings would increase productivity?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...r-summer-time/

The old argument that it would endanger children walking to school no longer applies because they no longer walk to school, but isn't January in the UK depressing enough without it still being dark at 9am?

Comment

Turkey did this a year or two ago. It's a bit confusing from the outside (and travelling there frequently as i do). Whereas Romania and Turkey were on the same time always, now they only are in the summer. Later this month when we fall back (with everyone else in the EU bar Poland it seems), Turkey won't and it will be an hour ahead. This change in Poland will put the country (in winter) on the same time as Romania/Bulgaria/Greece , but more relevantly on the same time as the Baltic states too. It will only really be odd to the south with the Czech Republic and so on. I don;t see why it should be a major issue that the country to the west, Germany, is on a different time. That's what happens all over the place (eg between Hungary and Romania or Portugal and Spain)

Comment

An annoyance for Brits in Florida is that our clocks don't go back until November 5th, so I have three weeks of turning the radio on at, say, 8am, expecting it to be 1pm in the UK and wondering where the fuck is my program.

Or worse, getting up to watch something a 6 when I could have slept until 7.

Comment

Argentina doesn't do daylight savings. It did, up until 2011 or 2012, I forget which (I'm sure I had at least one summer after moving here of, slightly bizarrely, only being 2 hours behind the UK), but they then decided not to bother any more. This decision came about through presidential decree, about three days before the date on which the clocks were going to move.

And people complain about the football only being scheduled a few days in advance.

Comment

New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland are all roughly in line down the eastern part of Australia.

NSW and VIC do it, QLD don't, just to be helpful. I'm sure it will be something to do with cane farmers, or croc rustlers.

Comment

South Africa has no daylight saving time, which is irritating for us in Cape Town. We are in a different time zone from the rest of SA, but adhere to the central South African time. So in summer, the sun goes up at 5:30 and sets before 20:00. Instead of it being dark only at 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Argentina doesn't do daylight savings. It did, up until 2011 or 2012, I forget which (I'm sure I had at least one summer after moving here of, slightly bizarrely, only being 2 hours behind the UK), but they then decided not to bother any more. This decision came about through presidential decree, about three days before the date on which the clocks were going to move.

And people complain about the football only being scheduled a few days in advance.
                They didn't do it when I was there in 2000.

Turkey stopped doing it last year but the year before they made the change a few weeks later than normal, Erdoğan wanted lighter evenings for the referendum so behaved like a Sultan.

Comment

No, Argentina has chopped and changed a fair bit on this down the years.

Comment

Working...
                  X