Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever eaten beaver?

NO SNIGGERING AT THE BACK.

Planning a trip to Vilnius and one of the most highly recommended cellar restaurants has stewed beaver meat on the menu. Any of OTF's travellers or gastronomes ever tried that? It's €16 a bowl so I want to know if it's edible before taking a leap of faith!

Obviously not, but I recommend the fried black bread they serve as a bar snack with every glass of beer.

Comment

Did it come up in the last one of these threads?

Comment

Don't eat beaver. Come on. Look at them. They just want to build their dams.

Comment

Last thing you'd want to eat is Beaver. Given they can stop up a river in minutes, imagine what they'd do to your digestive tract...

Comment

Everybody has eaten beaver, in the form of the castoreum extract from its anal gland that's widely used as a natural flavoring in the food industry, to replicate berry or vanilla flavors. So if you've had red jello, you've probably had beaver.

As far as the meat itself, it might taste like that of other large rodents: nutro, rabbit etc., so it could be good. I would guess it's edible but not as remarkably good as say venison, because it's not a common food staple in Canada, which has the highest densities of this animal. Beaver pelt prices have collapsed in recent times, and their populations are at all-time highs. I had venison (pretty often), moose, seal, bear, dog meat but not beaver, and never seen it on any menu.

Comment

What on earth is a nutro?

Comment

Fuck sake, everyone’s seen a nutro. Fills the same ecological niche in Canada as the Wild Haggis.

Comment

I think linus meant a Nutria, which is pretty much the same as a Coypu AFAIK.

Comment

What's that large embarrassed-looking rodent doing over there behind that tree?

Hmmm, looks like a coypu.

Comment

boom tish!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        I think linus meant a Nutria, which is pretty much the same as a Coypu AFAIK.
                        Right, Nutro is a dog food brand.

Comment

Those swamp rubes on tv often hunt and eat nutria, so I'd imagine there's something to them if they're spiced or stewed right. Can't imagine beaver steaks or anything.

Comment

According to my vintage Joy of Cooking, to cook Beaver:

"Use young animals only. Remove all surface fat when skinning but avoid cutting musk glands, which must be removed from beneath the skin in front of the genital organs. Also remove kernels in small of back and under each foreleg. Hang in the cold for several days, Poach in salted water for 1 hour. Braise as for beef until tender."

Then there's Beaver Tail:

"To Indians and settlers alike, this portion of the animal was considered the greatest. Hold over open flame until rough skin blisters. Remove from heat. When cool peel off skin. Roast over coals or simmer until tender."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              What's that large embarrassed-looking rodent doing over there behind that tree?

Hmmm, looks like a coypu.
                              Or,

Is that an outgoing turd over by that tree?
                              No, it's a coypu.

Comment

Somewhere I read/ heard/ was told that in the middle ages beavers were classed as fish so that monks could eat them on Fridays.

Comment

Working...
                                X