• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating less meat

That steak looks awful
    It is a little overcooked, yes.

Comment

Eating less meat

I'm a bit stumped for a non-meat filling for my butties and cheese is just as bad in term of carbon footprint. I really can't imagine filling it up only with green, however much I like salad in my sarnies...Vegetarian pates maybe?

Humous is the stuff for you, 1890. Absolutely top notch in sandwiches with salad.

An alternative is to forget about the bread and just chuck humous 'n' salad - and maybe beans or chickpeas or something - into your Tupperware box and take a jar with some dressing to be added when it's time to eat. Fantastic.

Comment

Eating less meat

On "effort": I've found my resolution to stick to free range pork and poultry quite tricky on occasion, to be honest. It's easy when I'm at home, eating stuff I've bought, but out and about it's quite often a problem. Take sandwiches, for example: rule out everything with chicken, ham or bacon in, and you're left with odd bits of bland roast dairy-cross beef or limp farmed salmon (which get boring very quickly, if they've even got any in) and the dreaded Vegetarian Options, which, shall we say, are at least as much of an acquired taste as meat is said to be.

It's complicated, to be sure, by the fact that I regard boiled eggs with total disgust, which rules out that whole area (quite apart from the fact that they're nearly always battery eggs).

Maybe if I went full-on veggie I'd get used to those Vegetarian Options, and even come to like them. I'm not sure, though. It seems to be harder for bad cooks to cock up something like chicken or bacon, at least as far as my tastes are concerned.

Comment

Eating less meat

Sauces are important if you're going to put grren stuff in. Tahini sauce is great. When I was last in the UK I had some weird smoked tofu stuff, which was very strong and worked okay in sandwiches asa cheese replacement. I realise that last sentence will convince nobody of the deliciousness of vegetarian food.

Wyatt: I used to work in a sandwich shop with a 'fresh and healthy' image, and wouldn't buy anything from any of their outlets now. It's disgusting. Somebody on here used to work in a sandwich factory where they make the cardboard packaged ones, and having read those posts I avoid those as much as possible too.

Just make them yourself.

Comment

Eating less meat

And hang on a minute - most of you people live in London, right? I would murder several of my dearest relatives to obtain a decent veg samosa right now. If you can't find decent veggie food, you're not looking hard enough (or are way too picky).

Comment

Eating less meat

(sandwiches are a WEIRD concept aren't they? A bit gross if you ask me. If presented with one I have to take it to pieces usually)
              I'm surprised no one's picked up on this lunacy. You may as well say any meal not involving raw components served individually is a weird concept.

I make my own sandwiches. I have a ham, lettuce & pickle one plus a banana and a satsuma waiting for lunchtime.

Comment

Eating less meat

Ball Comrade wrote:
                And hang on a minute - most of you people live in London, right? I would murder several of my dearest relatives to obtain a decent veg samosa right now. If you can't find decent veggie food, you're not looking hard enough (or are way too picky).
                There are veg samosas available near where I work, but I wouldn't describe them as "decent". A good veg samosa is a lovely thing, but those ones made with fat-drenched pastry that looks like it's got acne, and stuffed with peas, potatoes and curry powder, are shit.

I might be "way too picky" in your eyes, I suppose.

Comment

Eating less meat

I'm a bit annoyed that Roast (opposite the Market Porter) have increased the price of their pork sandwich to £6. I'm also not convinced that it's ok to put crackling inside a sandwich.

Comment

Eating less meat

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                    Ball Comrade wrote:
                    There are veg samosas available near where I work, but I wouldn't describe them as "decent". A good veg samosa is a lovely thing, but those ones made with fat-drenched pastry that looks like it's got acne, and stuffed with peas, potatoes and curry powder, are shit.

I might be "way too picky" in your eyes, I suppose.
                    That's quite possible, we've established before that OTF has higher food expectations than me.

This thread reminds me, actually, that the cafe at university with the factory-grated salads has now got a new pricing structure. Veggie option is 1.75, soup is the same, and meat or fish costs 2.70, whereas veggie options used to cost the same as the meat ones. I wonder if this kind of pricing will become more common. Not sure if it's had much effect apart from making the veggie food in that particular cafe noticeably worse than usual.

Comment

Eating less meat

News of this latest campaign backed by Paul McCartney brought this thread to mind again. Seems like a good idea. Whether it will make any difference is another matter.

Comment

Eating less meat

Paul McCartney. Without him, I'd never have thought about wanting to boil and eat frogs.

Comment

Eating less meat

£6 - fucking hell. I'd better double the food budget for the trip back.

I eat less meat than I used and far more vegetables but more fish, so I guess I'll never be a vegetarian or a vegan.

Comment

Eating less meat

JtS wrote:
                            I eat meat pretty much every day, what else could you put in a sandwich?
                            Portabella..ummm...Cheese.

Comment

Eating less meat

Favorite sandwich fillings:

Ham or beef
                              Sardine or tuna
                              Cheese
                              Mushroom
                              Falafel
                              Quorn
                              Soya

Trouble is, in cutting down on meat I find myself eating much more of the processed stuff- quorn sausages, soya mince etc. I don't always read its labels but presumably there's plenty of salt, fat, sugar etc. in there?

Comment

Eating less meat

you can buy proper veggie suasages, apparently, but whether you can get them where you live is a different matter altogether.

Comment

Eating less meat

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                  I'm kind of amazed that one meat-free day is any kind of difficulty for anyone except maybe the family dog.
                                  Dogs can manage OK on a vegetarian diet; it's cats that can't.

Comment

Eating less meat

At a game last season as we put in yet another sparkling performance a mate of mine a few rows in fron of me tried to get the atmosphere going by standing up and exhorting others to sing - as he scanned the crowd he pointed at me and as a classic Teesside works hooter bellowed, “You! Fucking vegan! Sing! That’s the trouble with this ground, too many vegetarians and not enough meat-eaters!” Well, I noticed on Saturday just gone that not only is Quorn produced on Teesside, but so is Cauldron veggie fodder, both in the same factory as far as I can tell, meaning of course that vegetarianism and Middlesbrough go hand-in-hand. So if you ask me, my mate’s looking pretty silly right now.

Comment

Eating less meat

As it happened, I had a completely meat-free day on the Monday just there. When I subsequently read about "meat-free Monday, backed by Macca, Chris Martin and Sheryl Crow", I kind of wished I'd gorged myself on Big Macs.

Comment

Working...
                                      X