Eating less meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating less meat

UN expert says we should have one meat-free day a week.

This doesn't strike me as a particularly excessive demand. Eating meat every single day is probably not good from a health point of view anyway. I've recently made a concious effort to eat less meat, precisely because of the sustainability issues that that article mentions, and will often have a purely vegetarian diet for several days at a time.

Eating less meat

But seriously, I'm cutting back on the red meat for my health. But why are the best things so delicious?

Comment

Eating less meat

I last ate meat in January 1984. Wonder if that steak tastes as good as I remember it?

Comment

Eating less meat

I'm kind of amazed that one meat-free day is any kind of difficulty for anyone except maybe the family dog.

Comment

Eating less meat

I'd be curious to know if anyone here does, in fact, eat meat every single day of the week.

Comment

Eating less meat

On average, yes. Certainly every work day. About the only time I don't eat meat is when I've run out of food and all I've got is rice or spaghetti.

Comment

Eating less meat

Look, I think you're all ignoring the major issue in this dietary debate, which is: how will this affect the poor?

(flees)

Comment

Eating less meat

I eat meat pretty much every day, what else could you put in a sandwich?

Comment

Eating less meat

I don't forsee eating any meat today. I am planning to have some yogurt at lunch, however and maybe some later on around dinner time (I've got a lot of it in my fridge).

Comment

Eating less meat

JtS wrote:
                    Tuna? That article says nothing about consumption of fish even though overfishing causes its own environmental problems.

Comment

Eating less meat

I was including fish under the whole meat type thing.

Comment

Eating less meat

I'd be curious to know if anyone here does, in fact, eat meat every single day of the week.
                        I probably eat meat every day that I eat. Occasionally I'll have a day without meals, where I'll get by on a tracker bar, or a bag of space invaders or something, but if it's a meal, it's meat.

Comment

Eating less meat

Yeah i'm the same, if you include fish then i'm truly fucked. though i'll monitor it.

Comment

Eating less meat

JtS wrote:
                            Cheese. I rarely eat meat at lunchtime. The evening's very different, mind.

Comment

Eating less meat

Funnily enough, though I think of myself as a meat-eater, I don't think I do eat meat every day. Most days, though.

Comment

Eating less meat

It's weird really the idea that it could be an 'effort' but what do I know.

Things that people could put in sandwiches, if they must have sandwiches (sandwiches are a WEIRD concept aren't they? A bit gross if you ask me. If presented with one I have to take it to pieces usually)

1/ Houmous (I don't care how you spell it so don't bother to tell me)
                                2/ Salad things like sliced peppers and spinach and tomatoes
                                3/ free range organic eggs
                                4/ possibly organic cheese although I'm still not too sure about that really
                                5/ Marmite!
                                6/ Nut butters or tahini
                                7/ Tofu
                                8/ Avocado

Comment

Eating less meat

Lyra wrote:
                                  It's weird really the idea that it could be an 'effort' but what do I know.

Things that people could put in sandwiches, if they must have sandwiches (sandwiches are a WEIRD concept aren't they? A bit gross if you ask me. If presented with one I have to take it to pieces usually)

1/ Houmous (I don't care how you spell it so don't bother to tell me)
                                  2/ Salad things like sliced peppers and spinach and tomatoes
                                  3/ free range organic eggs
                                  4/ possibly organic cheese although I'm still not too sure about that really
                                  5/ Marmite!
                                  6/ Nut butters or tahini
                                  7/ Tofu
                                  8/ Avocado
                                  That sounds nice, but no eggs in mine please.

Comment

Eating less meat

I didn't mean all at once. egg is a weird idea too, I know.

Comment

Eating less meat

That steak looks awful.

Comment

Eating less meat

Lyra wrote:
                                        I didn't mean all at once. egg is a weird idea too, I know.
                                        I think I've probably had that sandwich, if you take out the egg and tofu.

Comment

Eating less meat

Last time I ate meat was in 1978. Don't see what the problem is myself.

Comment

Eating less meat

A good idea. Mind you I'm a bit stumped for a non-meat filling for my butties and cheese is just as bad in term of carbon footprint. I really can't imagine filling it up only with green, however much I like salad in my sarnies...Vegetarian pates maybe?

Comment

Eating less meat

I don't think I ever cook meat more than twice a week, but where I fall down is on cured meat. If there's some parma ham or chorizo in the fridge I just tuck into it like others do with crisps and biscuits. Best snack in the world it is.

Comment

Eating less meat

Turns out yesterday I had no meat (if we're excusing the tuna and sweetcorn sandwich at lunchtime).

Comment

Eating less meat

I think veggie sandwiches don't work that well as unless you have cheese or houmous then the likelihood is the flavours won't be strong enough to deal with all the bread. I recommend pitta instead as you can fill that will all sorts of gorgeous veggie stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X