Unamusing lost+found posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that's what a ban is, isn't it? It's not a penalty...it's a get lost. No?

Comment

Not necessarily, no. Short fixed-term bans are common on message boards as elsewhere.

How about a general amnesty, no?

Comment

Makes me no never-mind.
        But then, I don't know what he did to get banned. If it was something seriously wing-nuttish, maybe good riddance. But if it was just the usual squabbly shit, then maybe a penalty.
        Having said that, I've read a lot of mad shit on here, and the most severe things I've seen done are a few deleted posts and a locked thread (or ten). So, if you get banned, it's likely for a good reason.

Comment

Well, you know as well as anyone else who was posting here three months ago, including Gonzo himself. The mods gave him neither warning nor explanation. He clearly upset others with comments after O'Donnell's death, and had a long record of inanity as well as sectarian nonsense on Old Firm threads (although hardly alone in that).

Any or all of that may justify a ban. None of it deserves a life ban.

Comment

That's not our decision to make, really, is it?

Comment

I'm not suggesting anything - like I said before, I'm pretty ambivalent on the question of whether previously banned posters should be given another chance - although there's no real reason why they should be - this is basically still the same board they were banned from before even if we've moved house. And as WOM says, bans are normally indefinite unless a certain time period is specifically given. So a "life ban", if you want to call it that, isn't exactly draconian, and is actually pretty commonplace.

What I said was disingenuous was the idea that Gonzo had been banned "despite only having made two posts" (or words to that effect), as if he was being harshly banned for just those two posts. He was actually banned because of the several hundred posts he made on the old board, as you well know - and there's no particular reason why anyone's ban should be lifted.

Comment

An indefinite ban in this case is unreasonable, and maybe even vindictive. Many other regulars have been far more abusive, for a start.

The crucial thing is isn't the board's address changing, but that he's already 'served' a three month ban. I think that's enough. (I'm only a user, not a mod or the site owner, so it's merely my opinion).

Comment

True enough, EIM. We're here at WSC's pleasure. If he's pissed them off, I guess it's their call to make.
                  But here's another thought: if Gonzo tries to post outrageous shit to upset people and cause rucks, I mean, what's the point? Suck it up that you've pushed it too far, too often and now you're paying the price.
                  And I'm not being obtuse about what got him banned - I don't post in Football/Sport so I've no idea what his ban was about. I'm just saying, if you're trying to cause heartache, maybe you should bugger off and just be happy reminiscing over the damage done.

Comment

I volunteer to be one of the jurors of the WSC Message Board Kangeroo Appeal Court.

Comment

He was pretty much banned because he was constantly brain-numbingly inane in just about everything he said, to be frank. And if he wasn't being inane he was being sectarian (you may disagree with this opinion but I'd bet that that's what the admins would say was their reason).

The Phil O'Donnell thing was perhaps the excuse the admins had been looking for but it was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

Unless Gonzo has had a brain transplant in the last three months, there's little reason to suppose he'd be any less inane if he came back so there's no real reason to lift his ban (unlike he who shan't be named who was banned for a particular action and was then allowed a second chance because he was a fantastic contributor to the board).

Comment

Ah well, never mind gonzo; Fartle is back, having served his two-year ban profitably to think up a few new names for Liverpool, so I'm not complaining.

Comment

Thanks a lot Pan Tau and the rest.

Despite being being banned I still used to read OTF. AIATL is a personal hero of mine, his rantings were magnificent and it was nice to see that he built upon the foundations that I laid with regards to blinkered and biased football fan'ism.

Oh and EIM is a pretty good egg too, the only OTF'er I have on Facebook, I might add.

Back slapping aside, Gonzo did a lot worse than I did and was given a lot more leeway, I feel. I mean, heres this fella going on about Catholics and gloating about some dead fella and the like and theres me getting banned for changing my username to 'Admin 8' and making a comment about one of Femme Folles cats, although I'm sure it was to do with the 'Admin 8' thing because a day after I changed my username, I was gone. Perhaps Gonzo was so controversial that they decided to keep him on for a bit.

Strange.

But I'm not going to make a fuss about it, I'm back and can now continue making fun of Liverdung, Man City and Lord of the Rings fans.

Hurrah!

Comment

Plenty of people posted all sorts of objectionable stuff on the old board -- really poisonous, nasty, horrible shit -- and did not receive even temporary bans, let alone permanent ones.

I could never work out why Fartle got told to take a walk for writing sneery but essentially harmless stuff about the city/football team of Liverpool when others were given what amounted to carte blanche to post numerous deeply personalised attacks on fellow contributors.

Comment

True.

I've never met Fartle before (hello Fartle), but there was a kind of poisonous thing going on for a few weeks before it moved, which seems to have dissipated. All good, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Would've loved to hear your thoughts on T&T's run in Germany, and of course any new Alien V Predator DVD special editions on film-tv, frtl.

Comment

Working...
                                X