X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiS news

Oh dear -

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3586036.html

Assuming this isn't actually to do with tax breaks or some other undercurrent, I agree with them wholeheartedly and, may I say, good for them.

It's all very well for people to "jump to London's defence" but the stats in that article show how serious a problem cost of living is. When I was in Germany about 18 months ago I got talking to a guy who had moved over from India. He had moved out of Munich because of the high cost of housing - when I told him how much rent he would have paid in London he practically fell off his seat.

Comment

They aren't wrong.

I like the idea of living in London much more than actually living here most of the time. Yes it's nice to be able to see any film that comes out, to be half an hour from the national or the barbican and yes I'll probably go to the proms on the spur of the moment a couple of times over the summer but really? Most of the time it'd be nicer to be somewhere else.
      Last edited by Levin; 12-07-2017, 18:39.

Comment

Nah, balls to that. I've lived in a few places in the UK and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but London. It burns me that I had to move as far out as Bromley.
        I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

I just can't compute that. But then, I'm a remote house on a hill with nobody else for miles around kind of guy.

Comment

There needs to be a mass rent strike. Things like that did work in the past (it was one woman beginning a rent strike during ww1 that kicked off Red Clydeside, and rent controls were passed following a Royal Commission in double quick for govt time) when bailiffs and cops were even more brutal than today. Dublin has become disgustingly unaffordable, but the prices in London (where wages aren't too much higher than Dublin) give me the vapours.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-07-2017, 18:53.

Comment

Worth a go, certainly. I live in London because it's where I'm from, and where most of my family and friends are from. It's not a dessicated consumer choice.

Comment

I just can't compute that. But then, I'm a remote house on a hill with nobody else for miles around kind of guy.
                Yeah, whereas I really don't like the countryside much. It's muddy, full of insects and animals and random people insist on trying to engage you in conversation.
                Different strokes, innit?

Comment

Working...
                X