No announcement yet.

Tory MP suspended for racist language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid it won't do her much harm in Newton Abbot. They'll be more annoyed by the crimes of the Huffington Post and Patrick Thistle. "Abbott", indeed.

Her constituency chairman leapt to her defence, insisting that she is a dedicated MP who works like a ... well, that didn't help.

Comment

The thread that I linked was also the first time that I encountered the phrase.

I'm reasonably sure that it has antebellum origins, but it is just ain't something that Central European immigrants in the north would have encountered.

Comment

Oops. Yeah, Abbot.

True story: I know someone from South Devon who went to university and met people who refused to believe Newton Abbot was a real place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Knowledge is Porridge

Stewart Pearson (Steve Hilton?) was the best of that show.

PS I'm all for the Tories recreating Agatha Christie's 'And then there were none'...
          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 11-07-2017, 07:21.

Comment

Is she related to Clarkson?
            No, but she is related to her partner\election agent whose comments she was forced to distance herself from during the election.

Newton Abbot Tory candidate Anne Marie Morris has distanced herself from comments made by her electoral agent and partner who claimed 'that the crisis in education was due entirely to non-British born immigrants and their high birth rates'.

The comment was made at the hustings event organised by the Newton Abbot Chamber of Trade at the town's University Technical College on Tuesday night.

During the debate around education and fair funding of schools, a member of the public stood up and said: 'that the crisis in education was due entirely to non-British born immigrants and their high birth rates'.

It has since emerged that the person who made that remark was Roger Kendrick, who is both Anne Marie Morris's partner and her electoral agent.

Comment

Who or what is Heidi Allen, and should I know or care?

Comment

Young Tory MP, one of the newer and supposedly nicer ones. Made a good speech in the House once, and says some good things, but then never really backs it up with her vote. She's my parents' MP and they have met her a couple of times in the context of my father's Parkinsons and her attending various events in the support group. They think she comes across very well and like her, though they didn;t and never will vote for her.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Indeed. Not sure if you’ve heard of Thierry Roland on OTF (1937- 2012), he was France’s most famous TV commentator for the best part of 3 decades – 1970’s-2000’s –, he certainly "pulled no punches". Last of the Mohicans in the footie French media really.

Thierry Roland was France's David Coleman – with a hint of Roger Mellie

https://www.theguardian.com/football...tv-commentator (by yours truly).

[…]Roland was hardly universally admired – his instincts when excited included lively jingoism and rank sexism, leaving him revered and vilified in equal measures. But his popularity extended far beyond the game, making him a national institution.

Thierry Roland, an anglophile, was not a patch on Ron Atkinson in the racist stakes though (let's not forget his comment on Roger Milla too, well, his mother...), he was just very "franchouillard" (a very culture-specific term but roughly the equivalent of a Little Englander here) to a ridiculous degree even, borderline xenophobic possibly (cf his take on the Ukraine in my article, "A crap country where I would have been bored senseless") and very outspoken with it too.

Hewn from the same "old-fashioned" fossilised material: the legendary Louis Nicollin who’s just passed away, the most un-PC man in French football - ever -, a Marmite "colourful character" about whom I wouldn’t have minded writing a piece in English but I was away when he snuffed it and I've been detached from the football writing scene for over two years now (too busy unfortunately as well) and anyway I've never really been that keen to write on French football. Still, I could have made an exception for Loulou, this part-dinosaur part-Tony Montana character wasn't my bag but he truly was unique, the sort of who would have been perfectly at home in a film scripted by Michel Audiard. So long fat bastard...

Comment

Working...
                  X