Tory MP suspended for racist language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tory MP suspended for racist language

Just announced on 5 Live the Tory MP for Newton Abbott has been suspended from the party for using racist language.
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 10-07-2017, 17:20. Reason: Poor heading

News story here:

MP Anne Marie Morris suspended for racist remark - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40555639

Comment

Be fair, she grew up in a different world.

I mean, when she was born, Rosa Parks was only 44.

Comment

Is she related to Clarkson?

The Whip has been withdrawn, what does that mean in effect?

Comment

Means that she has to sit as an independent, theoretically shrinking the majority by 2. In reality, unless she resigns, she is likely to be voting with the Tories the vast majority of the time, though the whips obviously will have less leverage.

Redwood and Cash appear to have got away with just ignoring the comment.

Comment

Ah yes, the shiny, new Tories, with their compassionate conservatism. Remember BoJo and his "watermelon smiles" bullshit? This is what these people are, the only surprise is that they don't let the mask slip more often.

Comment

Comment

Stealing that.

Comment

I stole it.

Comment

i didn't realise that this was such a popular phrase in the party.

Comment

The MD of my first employer was quite happy to use this phrase on a fairly regular basis.

Comment

The Brains Trust have shown up.

Comment

I've never even understood the logic in the phrase. I mean, if it were "in the coalshed" you'd at least get the idea of where the metaphor was coming from, but to my ears it's always sounded both offensive and baffling.

...I've got déjà vu here, have we done this once before?

Comment

"People on the left are motivated by envy and hope, those on the right by nostalgia and fear."

William Cooper (1951)

The phrase under discussion nails the second one of those to the wall with a six inch nail.

Comment

Strong memory, VA

Comment

I had a manager at a former workplace say it. Less than 10 years ago. Biggish meeting. We all sat there staring at each other dumbfounded.

Comment

It's such an incredibly old-fashioned saying, though. I remember reading it in a book when I was a kid and that book itself was referencing a British private school in the '50s.

Comment

It was commonplace then, and through the early sixties.

Comment

I've got a Wednesday programme from the mid 1960s that uses the phrase to describe Tommy Docherty.

Didn't somebody use it on the BBC's coverage of Italia 90?

Comment

Yes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBDL2qjQ1Y

(courtesy of nishlord on fb)

Comment

The comments. I don't know why I look.

Comment

Heidi Allen on Twitter got some charming comments too when she said that just the apology wasn't good enough. What do you want, blood? Well resigning the whip and not saying it was "inadvertent" would have been a start.

And Heidi Allen doesn't get mind Muslim Rape Gangs, apparently.

Comment

What Heidi Allen says and what Heidi Allen subsequently does are often two separate things.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Thanks ursus, I knew it rang a bell from somewhere. In fact, reading that "The frankness of '70s pundits" thread back, it was manifestly the first place I'd ever encountered the phrase – even misquoting it when I initially expressed my disbelief that people used to casually use it:
                                                  Originally posted by me, three years ago
                                                  Flaming heck, was this a completely different occasion on which Keegan made the comment from the Hurst one? Was it common parlance back in the day or something? "I say dear, the Cheddar, Double Gloucester and Wensleydale are all jolly palatable, but this Stilton's a bit of a nigger in the woodshed, you do know I can't stand it when you get blue cheese." Where the hell does that come from that you'd just drop it into conversation, let alone when sitting next to Garth Crooks on national TV?
                                                  I appear to have explored the same semantic cul-de-sac re: woodpile vs coalshed on the next page at the time. Jah and Sits explained that the phrase was meant to signify 'cuckoo in the nest', rather than some hamfisted variant on 'needle in a haystack' that it looked at first glance to derive from.
                                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 10-07-2017, 23:57.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X