So. Colorado then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Colorado then

You may remember we were aiming for a Canadian adventure this August. We've missed. Blame the god of air miles.

Instead Mrs HORN and I shall be spending a week or so in Boulder/Fort Collins/Breckenridge.

We intended this to be an outdoorsy trip of rafting, biking, hiking, with a bit of beer-sampling for good measure and it still might be, though Mrs HORN has developed a persistent soft tissue problem with her feet that is going to need to be carefully managed lest she gooses herself for the entire trip.

So if anyone has any suggestions (short loop hikes within reasonably easy reach of one of our intended destinations), other outdoorsy and not too demanding on the feet excursions (cycling actually seems to reduce her symptoms), I'd be very grateful to hear them.

And apologies to the posters, Canadian and others, who took the trouble to answer my previous 2017 holiday thread.

I spent a few weeks in both Denver and Boulder when we were on our long US trip a few years back. I can't recommend any hikes or bike routes directly, but Boulder is absolutely awash with them. It's one of the friendliest, easiest cities I've ever cycled around - it's one of those places, like Oxford or Cambride, where all the drivers also cycle. But unlike those towns, all the cyclists also drive. Which means that everyone actually understands the needs of the others and it's quite considerate as a result. They also have a slew of bike paths (which actually get plowed before the roads do, because so make people cycle).

There are some great walks up by the base of the Flatiron mountains, and all kinds of parks and open spaces on that side of town. And if it's your thing, the drive west out of Boulder on Boulder Canyon Road almost always has a ton of people climbing those rocks.

As for beer and breweries, there are more than you can shake a stick at in both Fort Collins and Boulder. Last time I was in the area, last May, planning on doing outdoorsy stuff, it snowed. So I went and admired the views of the hills and then stopped off at Upslope brewing - which I really liked. But I suspect it's one of those "you can't really go wrong" situations.

I'm 90% sure there's good rafting out of Breckenridge, particularly in a year like this with good snow-pack, but I've never actually done it. US ski resorts generally are doing a great job of creating outdoorsy mountain activities in the summer to make themselves into year-round destinations.

Sorry not to be more specific, I'll have a bit more of a think later.

Comment

Plenty to read here, entire Colorado trail done by a mate, lots of good ideas for day hikes really

https://backpackingbongos.wordpress....-kenosha-pass/

Comment

Wow. Very encouraging to read. Thank you, both.

Comment

Oooh, I hope you have a great time. I'd love to go to the Rockies.

Mrs HORN has developed a persistent soft tissue problem with her feet... (cycling actually seems to reduce her symptoms)

That sounds like what an outdoors enthusiast I used to know had. He did indeed switch his focus from walking/climbing to cycling, and successfully, but I don't know any more detail than that, I'm afraid. Mind you, he switched career to manage a bike shop, which is quite encouraging. Yes, make sure you both have a super cyclical excursion.

Comment

If you are going to Boulder and have some time, head west about 20 miles to Nederland. The drive takes around 30 minutes. We go most every year and it's a very relaxing small mountain town. Hwy. 119 is a windy road (Colorado drivers can be a bit pushy and also in their own world) that has a number of places to park on way up where you can do some short hikes. You're at over 8,000 ft elevation so take it easy if you're not quite acclimated.

They have a couple of brewpubs, a number of restaurants and Salto, an excellent coffee shop/cafe/bar. Another cool cafe is located in old train cars. Next door a restored carousel ride can be had for a dollar. From Nederland there are a number of nearby short and long hikes.

The town can be packed on the weekends, so I'd recommend a weekday trip for a lot less congestion.

What dates are you planning on traveling?
            Last edited by Cal Alamein; 01-07-2017, 15:40.

Comment

That road to Nederland, and Nederland itself, are both very nice.

I couldn't think of anything else specific, but I am a bit jealous. I love that part of Colorado in the summer. I'm not someone who gets much pleasure from snow, so it's basically the best time of year to be there as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Oh, and of course, if you happen to be there on August 21, you'll want to join the Great Exodus North into Wyoming to see the total solar eclipse. But you might want to travel early as reports suggest that the roads out of Denver are going to be rock solid full.

Comment

I suppose one advantage of flying west is early starts are never a problem.

We fly out August 16, returning 26.

Nederland sounds worth a look. Not so sure about travelling north as far as Wyoming. As much as holidaying in the USA comes with a high probability of long drives I'm striving to keep a tight rein on how much car time we'll have.
                  Last edited by HORN; 01-07-2017, 21:19.

Comment

But! Total Solar Eclipse! Seriously. You don't want to miss them, if you ever get a chance to see one with clear skies. It's one of the most spectacular natural things you'd ever, ever see. If you think "Yeah, but I saw a 99% partial eclipse in Britain and it was a bit meh", like many people do... I advise you to think again. Total Solar Eclipses are like nothing else on earth. I'm flying up to Boise, renting a car and driving out, just to see it.

Comment

(And that advice also goes to all our US readers - the ones in New York and Pennsylvania would be well advised to get themselves into Kentucky or Tennessee or somewhere to see it).

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        That road to Nederland, and Nederland itself, are both very nice.
                        I approve of this message.

Comment

It has a Nepalese restaurant, but lacks a pannenkoekenhuis.

Comment

If you're into rock climbing, Estes Park is great. Just get off the rock by 2pm so you don't get caught in the thunderstorms.

Comment

Can't really offer anything here except to say that I loved Denver and Glenwood Springs. The Amtrak between the two re-defined the word 'awesome' for me, in its truest sense.

Comment

I will agree that the best thing about Denver is the train journey out of there...

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  But! Total Solar Eclipse! Seriously. You don't want to miss them, if you ever get a chance to see one with clear skies. It's one of the most spectacular natural things you'd ever, ever see. If you think "Yeah, but I saw a 99% partial eclipse in Britain and it was a bit meh", like many people do... I advise you to think again. Total Solar Eclipses are like nothing else on earth. I'm flying up to Boise, renting a car and driving out, just to see it.
                                  I've asked the boss if she's interested. Her reply:

"Doesn't it just go dark for a while?"

Comment

I have spent many a summer vacation in and around Breckenridge, as my in-laws own a home in Silverthorne, a few miles outside Breck.

I spent way too many afternoons at the Breck ice rink as my daughter is a skater... but here's some ideas on things to do.

You can cycle from Breckenridge to Keystone Ski Resort via Frisco, & Dillon - no real steep ascents - the bike path is smooth and paved excepting through the woods outside of Frisco - but it's still a pretty easy ride but very scenic

The Dillon Reservoir has Kayaks and other boats for rent (in Frisco) - it's a big 'lake'.

You can bike ride down the ski hills at pretty much every resort. Breck, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Vail, but it's not for novices from what I have seen. Bike rental places are plentiful, if you need to.

The smooth bike path that follows alongside I-70 is great - you can go all the way to Vail from Breck. When I say alongside - it runs about 100 metres from the road - separated sometimes by small hills. It has some steep climbs as you get nearer Vail mind you.

For some fun - I suggest taking the gondola at Breck to the top of the mountain and splashing the cash on a day ticket to use all the exciting activities like the Alpine Coasters, slides and ziplines.

For beer - you are spoiled for choice. Breckenridge Brewery is a good start, many International award winning beers from here. The Backcountry Brewery in Frisco is always worth a visit as is The Dillon Dam Brewery.

On your trip to Breck - if you are on I-70 - stop at Idaho Springs and head to the Tommyknocker Brewery. It's really good beer and a cool brew pub. Idaho Springs also has the Phoenix Gold Mine - which has a really fun tour. The guide is rough and ready but extremely engaging.

If you need other suggestions, about coffee shops, shopping, eating or some such, ask away.
                                    Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 05-07-2017, 19:58.

Comment

That's superb stuff. Thank you very very much.

Comment

The Breck to Keystone bike trail

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...illon-to-keyst

One other thing, in case it floats your or your missus boat - Silverthorne (outside of Breck) is home to a large number of Outlet shops, including a Nike factory outlet and plenty of other sporting goods stores. http://www.outletsatsilverthorne.com/directory
                                        Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 05-07-2017, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                                        X