Ties up to the English professor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ties up to the English professor!

The Speaker of the House liberates MPs from the strangulatory item of clothing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40446102

Comfort issues aside, I'm not sure that the business suit with open neck shirt look hasn't been discredited beyond redemption by its popularity with Cameron and Clegg.

Polo necks could be the way forward. With berets and Gitanes to wind up David Davis and the rest of the Home Guard.

Comment

Any bets on the first Brexiteer to turn up dressed head to toe in a Union Jack suit?

Comment

I support the open-necked untucked short-sleeve button-up shirt, like a fishing boat captain or drug-runner.

Comment

Andrew Rosindell seems a decent bet, maybe with a quid on Fabricant on the side.

Comment

I was going to start a thread about ties but here will do. Anyway, here I see a few people who regularly wear them though most are on their way to or from church. And they are nearly all of a certain age.

My father used to wear a tie even when not working. At the time I just accepted it but it's pretty odd really, isn't it?

Comment

The day ties become optional at my workplace is the day I become a conscientious objector. Nothing like matching my tie, cufflinks, belt and socks to put me in the right frame of mind for a day's work.

I am aware this is very much against the OTF zeitgeist.

Comment

I don't think I'd actually ban ties. But, you know.

Comment

This is how Hitler got started.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    I was going to start a thread about ties but here will do. Anyway, here I see a few people who regularly wear them though most are on their way to or from church. And they are nearly all of a certain age.

My father used to wear a tie even when not working. At the time I just accepted it but it's pretty odd really, isn't it?
                    Generational thing, isn't it? My late father (born 1926) would also wear a tie at home sometimes IIRC. And I note that in some photos which one occasional OTFer has put on his FB page of his aged father (born early or mid 1930s I think) he is wearing a tie, at home I think.

I find ties physically uncomfortable and love the more dress down-ish office culture of today, compared with the rigid dress codes of the twentieth century. I do admit they can look good, though. No problem with others wearing them and looking all the better for it, I just don't want to sacrifice my own physical comfort.

Comment

By the way, am I the only one who is bewildered by the "English professor" reference in the thread title?

Comment

It's from The High Life - Alan Cummings character describes how his teacher was an SNP supporter, but the students were completely apolitical, so when the teacher said "Rise up to the English oppressor" , they misinterpreted it as "Ties up to the English professor" ( " We got in a lot of trouble for that one").
                        Last edited by Diable Rouge; 01-01-2020, 23:06.

Comment

I wear a tie into work every day and am sat here now with a blue shirt and a pink tie on. I am one of only a handful of men who wears a tie in the office, but I see it as part of who I am and part of my identity. I also wear a silk scarf and a hat everyday and even fewer men wear hats than ties. I like getting dressed up to go to work as much as I enjoy getting dressed down when I get home. It gives me something to change into, get those work clothes off, get my jeans and comfortable everyday shirt on, a clear demarcation between work and home. The only time I have wavered was during the 2018 heat wave and during last years hot summer when I broke and dispensed with a tie and wore smart shorts instead of trousers. However, if I am on site all day, I wear the roughest clothes I have on the basis I'm not getting my decent clothes covered in grime.

Comment

I still wear a tie to work on occasion, but only because I like them, and have many. When I do, I’m pretty much the only one.

Comment

Dress down day tomorrow, I'm wearing my retro AS Roma tracksuit top.

Comment

Working...
                              X