Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    David Gauke MP in a car crash of an interview on Channel 4 News, but it should be May and those in real positions of power being enough to face the media.

May gave one interview made available to all of the press. She's going to be gone before the end of the month unless she does something.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    I wish there was a hell where Megan McCardle could suffer a rigorous cost/profit analysis for eternity. What a piece of shit
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-06-2017, 18:26.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    So, what is the US Libertarian take on this?

McArdle?

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

You beat me to it. Here's the entire vile article:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...don-tower-fire

Leave a comment:

• Anorak Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    May has announced £5 million of aid and said all residents would be housed locally, meaning children could go to the same school as before.
    As one of the protesters was quick to point out, the cladding and refurb cost £10m. Too late, Theresa, way too late, this should have been stumped up on Wednesday, with no cap.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    I have to say, I have been more upset over this than the recent terrorist attacks in London and Manchester. Not because I'm callous or anything, but we can't really stop terrorist attacks. Grenfell should never have been allowed to happen.
    I feel the same way. Peter Ackroyd made the point that London is really a collection of villages, and Notting Hill was my village. I never lived anywhere else in the five and a half years I lived in the city, and generally stay there with friends when I visit. Though it was many years ago this hurts. More, I suspect, than if it were elsewhere. I'm not sure there's another London village that's undergone such dramatic and extreme gentrification as Notting Hill and, now, North Kensington in the past decades. In the early seventies (when I was a resident) The Gate meant hippies and Jamaican migrants, plus a fair amount of empty housing on the Western edge where Latimer Road is. These days the one room flat I shared on Ladbroke Road is probably in a house worth eight figures, while Grenfell appears to be on the current dividing line between rich and poor. It's clear from almost all the interviews I've heard and read from residents this unequal polarisation is an ever present, and overwhelmingly informs local attitudes as it must, and should. It's heartbreaking on so many levels.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Sorry if already posted:

Volunteers for Grenfell:
    To register for volunteer work, please send an email to grenfellvolunteers@rbkc.gov.uk supplying your name, contact details, availability and any skills you can offer. They'll contact you to let you know where you're needed.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    It's due to be horribly hot and muggy in London this weekend, isn't it? Please god everywhere doesn't end up like Sal's pizzeria.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    What Steve said.

There's got to be much more appealing for calm from anybody with any kind of positive influence. More people could get killed.

Leave a comment:

• steveeeeeeeee
    replied
    In the midst of the immense sh*tness of this whole tragedy, I sincerely hope that anger will not erupt to the point of rioting in London tonight or any night this weekend. Christ knows people are angry as f*ck, but if there's anyone who doesn't deserve to be dealing with the impact of anger overflowing right now, it's the police, fire and ambulance services.

We just need to be patient and give sufficient space to those investigating whilst applying sufficient pressure on those in authority to ensure nobody gets off the hook. Breaking into town halls and scaring the shit out of admin workers gets us nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    I'm a bit scared what the robocops and kettling fucks will do if the protests are massive and unruly for the march on Whitehall. The polis weren't tooled up in 2011 (and noone was attacking the power centre). I'm sure there will be plenty around this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes

The two US analogues that I thought of immediately were Happy Land in the Bronx (87 dead) and Cocoanut Grove in Boston (492 dead) each of which resulted in major changes to building regulations and inspection procedures.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Stardust in Dublin early 80s. Teenage disco, carpets on the walls and ceiling, emergency doors chained shut, an inferno. They spent years blaming the victims and making sure the FF connected owners never faced chokey, let alone a fine.

What's the bets the same is repeated here? That poor bastard and his fridge will probably be getting death threats now thanks to the fucking Sun.

Leave a comment:

• Pérou Flaquettes
    replied
    Same here, it’s absolutely dreadful and I can hardly bear reading about it without feeling terribly angry, it reminds me of the terrible Cinq-Sept disco disaster near Grenoble in 1970 (142 dead and 50 injured) and the Alcala 20 disco tragedy in Madrid (84 deaths) when I used to go to Madrid to party during the post Franco Movida Madrileña movement era (I was studying Spanish at the time – I’m of Spanish extraction – as well as English).

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
    Theresa May getting a hammering from Sky News interviewer about the response so far. She is making a hash of it, even though she's actually announcing what sounds like a comprehensive plan.
    She avoided meeting locals again today. Going to the hospital, for a strong and concerned photo-op, I hope relatives tell her to fuck the fuck off from their loved ones' ward. Doesn't matter if her action plan is all good, she has ruined everything by hiding away again. It was pathetic enough during the campaign, but if ever there was a time for strong leadership, facing the people, it was after this. Too late now, they would rightfully lynch her and her filth praetorian guard.

She's toast.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-06-2017, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Theresa May getting a hammering from Sky News interviewer about the response so far. She is making a hash of it, even though she's actually announcing what sounds like a comprehensive plan.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    King’s College hospital is to lodge a complaint with the press watchdog over a journalist who allegedly impersonated a friend of a victim of the Grenfell Tower fire in order to get an interview with him.

The hospital is to file a complaint with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) about the behaviour of the Sun reporter. It has also written to News UK, the publisher of the Sun, Times and Sunday Times, about the incident.
    Didn't this sort of thing come up a few years ago? Thanks to Mr Cameron for making sure nothing changed.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    May has announced £5 million of aid and said all residents would be housed locally, meaning children could go to the same school as before.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Another addition to the building were gas pipes, where we they located? In the only stair well.

How the fuck did this get signed off by buildings regulators if this is true?

Cos regulations are pisswater, cos there's a lack of funds or will for proper oversight. Like the PFI schools in Scotland, I'd imagine this is bigger than just London or social housing. The gimcrack bullshit in Salford Quays etc could do with a thorough inspection as well.
    Yeah, I think it could be like Hatfield in terms of bringing a whole industry to a halt.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    From yesterday.

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects Jun 15
    More
    Public opinion towards...

May:
    Favourable: 29% (-13)
    Unfavourable: 63% (+16)

Corbyn:
    Fav: 46% (+10)
    Unfav: 46% (-4)
    (via @YouGov, 11-12)

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Another addition to the building were gas pipes, where we they located? In the only stair well.

Cos regulations are pisswater, cos there's a lack of funds or will for proper oversight. Like the PFI schools in Scotland, I'd imagine this is bigger than just London or social housing. The gimcrack bullshit in Salford Quays etc could do with a thorough inspection as well.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-06-2017, 16:56.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    You can't really rule anything out, can you?

May seems to have finally put out a comprehensive-sounding statement, read out on by the Sky reporter. I don't know if she was leaving it to the council before, but couldn't she have got that together a couple of days ago?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    When I first saw that corner Tubby I just thought like you, now I'm thinking that those offices had something that others in the block didn't have.

Leave a comment:

• superstu64
    replied
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?lc=z13xg...&v=bWH2w3bJRoQ

This guy speaking is excellent, he is a resident of the tower block, much of what he says is in the media but a few things I've heard for the first time.

Firstly the fire engines could not access the tower along the roads because they were too narrow or had boulards on them..
    I've never been there so please excuse me if I'm utterly wrong, but I just had a look on Google Earth and you can see this is probably true, the nearest bit a pedestrian walkway, you can see the distance from the end of the nearest road to the tower block.

Secondly we've all seen that a small section of the building has survived seemingly less badly damaged, they were the council offices.
    I hope this is just a weird coincidence, but why do I get the feeling there may be more to this. I did find it weird how one corner had survived so much better. It has to be coincidence or the way the air moved the flame surely?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X