Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inquiry to include RBKC's actions.

Comment

Just a heads up, this charity event at Loftus Road is up-coming in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Oooo with the added attraction of possibly seeing Marcus Mumford get twatted by someone.

Comment

Ha! Yes indeed. Though, fair do's, he and Les Ferdinand have been the game's principal organisers

Comment

Is this the game Joey Barton is banned from?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

My friend wants us to go to that footie match, and it does look a bit surreal.

Comment

You should go if you can. It is a bizarre mix of "players," but the cause is righteous. You can see the ruins of the tower from the upper deck of the School End stand too, which should serve as a reminder of what it's all for if thinks get too silly.
                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 19-08-2017, 13:56.

Comment

I've bought a couple of tickets, thanks for the heads-up.

A friend of mine is kind of involved with the aftermath of the fire, so I'm not going to lose sight of what it's about even if it hadn't affected me.

Comment

Oh I know, I didn't mean "you" personally. Anyway glad you're going. Make sure you're not wearing leg-ware you care about. The seating at Loftus Road is based on spectators being four feet tall, scraped shins for all others are de rigueur.

Comment

Sorry, yes, being a bit sensitive.

Thanks for the legwear tip.

Comment

Are they all, going to be playing football or doing other activities? I'm struggling to imagine Jarvis Cocker steaming down the wing; more likely to be having a 'gasper' by the corner flag.

I thought Damian Lewis was working more or less permanently in the US.

Comment

Sounds as if it's just a game. It is FA sanctioned, which is why Barton couldn't take part (or that was the excuse.)

"QPR’s Loftus Road stadium will play host to a #Game4Grenfell on Saturday 2nd September 2017 (kick-off 3.00pm), as QPR and QPR in the Community Trust – as the most local club in the West London community – come together with Columbia Records and Toast Entertainment Group to show support for the community affected so tragically by the Grenfell Tower fire disaster on June 14th.

The brainchild of QPR Chairman Tony Fernandes, Director of Football Les Ferdinand and Columbia Records' Ferdy Unger-Hamilton, the fixture – which will see two teams consisting of ex-professionals and celebrities, as well as a few special guests, play a 90-minute match in W12, just one mile away from the North Kensington tower-block – will act as a community event to give something back to those affected by the fire last month, using football as the most powerful of tools to unite the people of West London.

Indeed, the power of football will ensure the legacy extends well beyond the game itself, thanks primarily to the involvement of Marcus Mumford, lead singer of Mumford & Sons, who is the driving-force of a newly-launched free summer football programme for the young children of Grenfell.

Mumford has spent the last few weeks with survivors and their families and thanks to his efforts and the involvement of a number of local charities and organisations, of which QPR in the Community Trust has been at the forefront, a free summer football programme for young children was set up, which is now thriving at the Westway Sports Centre.

A number of famous ex-pros, including Les Ferdinand, David Seaman, Trevor Sinclair, Alan Shearer, Andy Sinton, Jody Morris, Ally McCoist and Paul Merson, are amongst those already signed up to play their part in W12.

Peter Crouch will also feature, alongside his firefighter friend Gregg Jules, who was directly involved in the relief effort.

In addition, Mumford, Olly Murs, Wretch 32, Ben Shephard, Damian Lewis, DJ Spoony, Tinie Tempah, Jarvis Cocker, Darren Campbell, Jamie Dornan, Richard Ashcroft, Serge Pizzorno, Tamer Hassan, Ben Cohen and James Bay are amongst those set to feature too, in what promises to be a day to remember for the West London community.

Mumford said: “I'm very excited to be part of the summer's worth of football for kids affected by Grenfell and in the wider North Kensington community.

“I'm also really looking forward to dusting off my boots, nutmegging Ferdinand and smashing some goals past Seaman on September 2nd.”
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-08-2017, 16:41.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ericweiskott/status/900767162658430976

Comment

I nearly didn't watch that, so glad I did. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yes, thanks Snake.

Comment

That is a beautiful, moving speech and ought to be played often.

Comment

The football game at QPR yesterday was mostly terrific fun. Mo Farah scored, Jose Mourinho played the pantomime villain in goal, Jarvis Cocker got a couple of touches, Olly Murs is handy. The guy behind me seemed to be so in love with Paul Merson I don't know why he didn't invade the pitch and propose. Some survivors, volunteers and firefighters joined the game. That was moving.

And when we came out, there it was, there it is, that terrible sight against the blue sky.

Comment

Also, AdeC was right about the titchy seats. My 5'2" friend was fine.

Comment

All accounts I've heard reckon it was an excellent event in every respect. Mourinho, who isn't particularly loved by QPR fans (or anyone else really) got a lot of kudos. He was at Loftus Road all day apparently, meeting survivors, and signing autographs.

One small gripe. Ticketmaster still charged their £3.50 booking fee for the event which, under the circumstances, seems mean spirited. I suppose it's possible they passed it on to the organisers but I'm sure we'd know about it if that were the case.

(Have your knees recovered?)

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            I nearly didn't watch that, so glad I did. Thanks for posting.
                                            Wow, me to. It's ironic that Jon Snow was presenting an award for public speaking, when he can be so eloquent himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                              (Have your knees recovered?)
                                              My knees are fine, thank you. Can't imagine how it would be for a really tall person, though.

I quite liked Mourinho anyway, but yes, he did well.

Comment

So, the official count is 71; mercifully low but still a terrible number.

There's a lot of disbelief on social media at that figure, which is obscuring some of the more sensible commentary.

Eddie Mair read all the names out, slowly and respectfully, on Radio 4 yesterday. I didn't listen but understand that it was incredibly affecting.

Comment

Yeah reminiscent of Steve Rotheram doing the 96 Hillsborough victims, name by name, in parliament. Important, symbolically and personally.

Comment

Another tower block fire in London this morning, this time in Hampstead. At least one fatality. Apparently it's now under control.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X