Grenfell flats fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    That TMO, fuck. Don't they have any obligation to keep an accurate building manifest?
    How many of the 60 plus companies involved have stuck to their obligations?

I'm sure some of the issues are due to sub letting but most is sheer incompetence.

Comment

Sub-letting could be the victim blaming distraction I fear. Especially letting to undocumented migrants (which I imagine has become more common since the obligation on landlords to check immigration status).

Comment

It's an unfortunate phrase to quote in this context, but does anyone recall the much lauded 'bonfire of the quangos'?

When Pickles and Shapps gleefully did away with the Audit Commission and Tenant Services Authority they effectively de-regulated the management of social housing.

I can't say for certain whether the old inspection regime would have picked up on the cladding issue specifically (I'd need to refresh my memory - KLOEs, anyone?) But it provided scrutiny / oversight of landlord activity - so things like not acting on complaints, or an absence of basic housing management processes, might have been highlighted earlier.

EDIT: I'd include 'poor record of occupancy / household detais' under absence of basic housing management processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          Sub-letting could be the victim blaming distraction I fear. Especially letting to undocumented migrants (which I imagine has become more common since the obligation on landlords to check immigration status).
          The victim blaming distraction instead of the acknowledgement that increasingly oppressive anti-immigrant legislation impacts not on numbers but on lives and leads not just to misery but to tragedy.

Comment

Before the victim blaming the residents who raised concerns were thought of as troublemakers.

The demonisation of the lower classes by successive governments has a lot to answer for in allowing this preventable tragedy to ocur.

What do we know about the judge leading the inquiry?

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40438701

"In November 2014, Sir Martin oversaw a case in which he ruled a London tenant could be rehoused 50 miles away"

Comment

The fact that this is happening at the same time as the Hillsborough charges is a reminder of the class nature of public safety and legal justice. Will this still be going through the courts in 2045?

Comment

Devastating scale of social housing selloff

Camden really deserve praise for acting swiftly, I understand it's tough for residents but this may save lives.

I can't blame people for refusing to leave. They have every right to suspect they'll never be allowed back, given the track record of councils all over London. But the current incarnations of London councils (however foul some of them might be) aren't specifically to blame for the inadequacies of buildings, emergency accom etc. It's a problem that's been building for nearly 40 years.

I live in Camden council accommodation, which is lovely (recent, purpose-built for vulnerable adults). I'm really lucky to have it and this has prompted tears and survivor guilt-related depression. I desperately hope all these people get the decent treatment.

But how can anyone trust their council when they bar Grenfell survivors and media from a cabinet meeting and can't manage to rebook emergency hotels for survivors?

The more events ramify the more I think that this is the biggest, most horrible thing to happen in the UK in my lifetime. And I still remember sobbing as I watched the Hillsborough news.

Comment

My favourite Camden councillor Sian Berry talks about public housing.

I have to feel some sympathy for Georgia Gould, who I think has been in position as council leader for about three weeks. Admirable timing by predecessor Sarah Hayward.

Um, do other people know a possibly unhealthy amount about their local councils?

Comment

It appears that the press obtained a court order overturning their exclusion. So K&C council cancelled the meeting.

Comment

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7815186.html

A man has been arrested for falsely claiming he'd lost his wife and child in the disaster.

Comment

Fucking hell why do people act so cunty for a little attention?

Ah, good old fraud of course.

Comment

This is rather nicer, though sombre and sad as hell. Mass banner solidarity drops from housing estates

Comment

The original cladding was going to be zinc but to save £270k the borough decided to use the aluminium one. This is according to the BBC this morning.

Both types of cladding had the same fire rating but let's wait to see if the cheaper one caused the fire to spread more quickly.

The Metropolitan Police have again called for people who survived the fire but who are worried about their immigration status to come forward. I'm guessing that they have information about potential victims but can't begin to gather evidence safely. This suggests that the death toll could jump significantly.

Why don't they just say to these people that they will be granted citizenship?

Thanks to DM for sharing those photos and links.

Comment

Um, do other people know a possibly unhealthy amount about their local councils?
                                Not many people do, that's the tragedy. Local council budgets have been the biggest victims of austerity, but there has been little reporting on that - partly because the local media has been so hollowed out – and the way councils themselves operate is much less open than it used to be, and also much more has been outsourced.

(It's also the next big transformational challenge for the Labour party - the ossified Lab right are still in control in most local authority groups, offering and saying little, but grimly determined to cling on to their entitlement to do so)

Comment

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2017/06/le...rd-chancellor/

Comment

Grenfell Tower management chief quits 'to focus on inquiry'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Leader of the Council quits.

It's got to be tough for him. Easy job for life, well paid, hobnobbing with billionaires, picking up a big cheque on the way to the inevitable knighthood, don't even have to do the job properly as everyone you know supports your idea of a Council that doesn't provide any kind of public services. And then it ends due to the teensy weensy thing of 100 people you never even noticed the existence of burning to death.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nfell-disaster

Comment

His use of the word perceived really rubs salt into the wounds.

Comment

Grenfell fire: volunteers help residents compile death toll, estimates of 100 to 120.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard
                                          Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 30-06-2017, 18:30.

Comment

Jesus. This really is the worst thing I can remember, like DM says. What a disgusting country to create the conditions for this. Fuckin value engineering. The death of Civic and council housing developments as decent structures. As long as the short term costs (cos no one has factored in the cost of sudden repair) of the tender look good, council builds it, spends a fortune on consultant vultures to reduce fripperies like comfort and safety. Zinc almost always is the first thing to go. More reliable stronger and safer than aluminium flimsy shit, first to be crossed out when the design gets implemented. Douglas Murphy has a very good thread on this today.
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-06-2017, 18:42.

Comment

Grenfell resident still getting rent deducted. Just heard on the radio.

Comment

"There is a lot of hand holding going on."

I hope all their houses burn down and when they look for help people piss in their faces................... and breathe.

EDIT - leaving that up because I think deep anger in the face of such callous, casual contempt is justified, and harsh venting occasionally beneficial/necessary.
                                                Last edited by delicatemoth; 01-07-2017, 14:11.

Comment

I think that interview shows just how removed and distant some of the councillors are from the situation, and that is aggravating an already tense situation because those rich people simply don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X