Grenfell flats fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarrShow

The best that I have been able to find so far, scroll down and it's the third one down on the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
      It does indeed look like the council are using this as an opportunity for social cleansing.

Also, where there's a tragedy there's an opportunity.
      I can't read that tweet. Somebody has gone to Preston? Does the tweeter know for sure why, or for how long?

For all sorts of reasons, including what the Shrewsbury bloke said, we have to give the council the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to sort things out properly.

Comment

Many of the individuals are trying very hard, evidently. And - despite them, by all accounts, being a bunch of shits - K&C Council have been blindsided by the scale of the tragedy. But the lack of a co-ordinated central response by the Government has been woeful, and appears to have greatly contributed to the confusion. They should have poured money and resources in, yet it took them about a day and a half to offer £5m.

I don't know why I'm saying this here. I know you all know it.

Comment

There as some money going in already, I think. There's something called Bellwin for emergencies.Sajid Javid invoked it the day before the £5m.

Also from a housing lawyer, just now.

Nearly Legal‏ @nearlylegal 4m4 minutes ago
          On homeless #grenfall survivors being sent to TA in Preston. 1 This is rumour, so far at least. 2 If true, will have to be returned soon

Comment

Did Hammond really say that the cladding used is illegal in the UK? If it is and he said it that company and their directors are fucked.

Some people are calling for an inquest and others are demanding a full public inquiry, excuse my ignorance but what is the major difference here?

Comment

Inquest here signal strong support for the public inquiry.

http://www.inquest.org.uk/media/pr/i...ell-tower-fire

I think it's irresponsible for the Independent to be giving credence to the idea that the government is acting to block an inquest.
              Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 18-06-2017, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                I can't read that tweet. Somebody has gone to Preston? Does the tweeter know for sure why, or for how long?
                It's a video of a resident of the tower, who says that one of the residents has been sent to Preston, and another one has been put in a care home instead of being rehoused.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

For all sorts of reasons, including what the Shrewsbury bloke said, we have to give the council the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to sort things out properly.
                  The man in the video, who was a Grenfell resident, tells how one former resident has been decanted into an old people's home and another has been 'offered' relocation in Preston, which if turned down means the person is deemed to be intentionally homeless. This is standard and is known to anyone who relies on social housing. It's what various London councils have been doing for ages. Giving the council the benefit of the doubt means not listening to people tell their stories and is how these fuckers get away with it.
                  Last edited by delicatemoth; 18-06-2017, 13:18.

Comment

Apologies if that came out as complacent, Delicatemoth.

Literally straight after that tweet, he said.

Nearly Legal‏ @nearlylegal 1h1 hour ago
                    Replying to @nearlylegal
                    4. London councils have been sending homeless to TA in Brum, Stoke, Telford for ages. NOW you all notice?

He's one of the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      Did Hammond really say that the cladding used is illegal in the UK? If it is and he said it that company and their directors are fucked.
                      At the risk of being a conspiracy theorist, that feels right up there with "ticketless Liverpool fans forced the gates open". He has no idea what cladding was used.

Comment

I think he's directly involved with Corbyn/ Labour too. Here he is correcting a Tory MP on the amendment Labour had voted down on rented accommodation last year. He help write the amendment.

https://twitter.com/nearlylegal/stat...37016102092800

Comment

As if Grenfell wasn't bad enough, forest fires in Portugal have killed 61 victims:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40320411

Comment

Perhaps better to start another thread for that than get at cross purposes on this one.

Comment

Kensington and Chelsea council has been relieved of responsibility for taking care of the survivors of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

The work is being handed over to a new Grenfell Fire Response Team, made up of representatives from central government, the British Red Cross, the Metropolitan police, London-wide local and regional government and the London Fire Brigade.
                              Finally there will be some coordination and someone to lead this, why did it have to take so long?

Comment

Police now say that they expect the number of dead to be more than the 58 reported missing.

Comment

It looks like this has been made up entirely ad hoc. Somebody ought to at least have had a template ready to form something like this straightaway. It's taken too long.

A barrister on Twitter (Property, though said himself not Housing) reckons central government just has purchase homes as quickly as it can, and forget about requisitioning empty homes, because they'll run up a fortune in legal fees and likely lose.

But I expect other lawyers say different things.

Comment

No worries, Tubby. Yeah, Nearly Legal is good. And my understanding is that it's not simply 'pre-existing' homeless being shunted out of London, but people who've been forced out of the estates they lived in to make way for regeneration.

I'd kind of like Labour to be addressing their own councils' role in this to be frank - Southwark, Lambeth and Newham to name but three have some shameful form here. It sounds like people in blocks all over London - and presumably elsewhere in the country - are now scared about the fire risk in their own buildings too; I saw a picture of a sign in the lift of one of the Swiss Cottage blocks saying they have the same cladding.

Dawn Foster has been doing fantastic work, by the way.

Comment

Tragically the death toll has now risen to 79, surely it's time for some serious answers to be given by May and her cronies. There's nothing technical about this detail Phil.

Comment

Yeah, Delicatemoth.

Property development has become a nice earner for London councils, partly because it fills in a gap from grant cuts, no doubt, partly for bad reasons. Some schemes have been much better than others. You know where my flat is, and that was done fairly well. Our biggest complaint was that it took too long. There were extra social flats, and it's nicer. There's got to be some legislation to protect existing residents though.

Comment

You know who was really responsible for Grenfell? It was the Jews. So spoke some sage on Al Quds day yesterday, to no obvious booing.

Can't somebody stop this shit?

Comment

Medialens retweeted this very obvious recycled 9/11 crap. Do they actually want riots, and more buildings set alight with people in them?

Comment

Pardon my French, but Jesus H tittyfucking Christ these people want a slap.

Comment

Unfortunately, the bloke who's got the slap was a 56 year old volunteer at Grenfell. Some fuckhead put his picture up on the internet saying he was a councillor.
                                                Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 19-06-2017, 18:11.

Comment

FFS.

Comment

On the BBC website there's a video clip of when a team of firefighters first see the fire. It's only 45 seconds long, but a couple of the comments are very revealing:

How is that possible?

How the "Bleep" is that possible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...-saw-the-blaze

Comment

Working...
                                                    X