Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grenfell flats fire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    On the Labour housing improvements that the Tories blocked. Looks complicated, but to say the least, not very good.

    https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...-complicated?8

    Interesting coincidence that Karen Buck put forward the first lot. She was the MP for the area with Grenfell till boundary changes in 2010. She's now Westminster North. And sitting on a much improved majority as of the election.
    Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 20-06-2017, 17:32.

    Comment


      Grenfell Tower renovation works were inspected 16 times by Kensington and Chelsea council, but these checks failed to prevent the use of the flammable cladding being blamed for spreading the fire
      This from the Guardian. Why am I not surprised?

      Comment


        Never mind losing your home, will somebody think of the property values?

        https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/...mixed-response

        Comment


          Edmond the parquet expert speaks for me. Those selfish horrible bastards will stop this from ever happening. Are "Maria" and her mates so tight that three of them crowd around the one Evening Standard? Bastardos.

          Comment


            Among those exercising dogs and small children, the views were more mixed. “It’s so unfair,” said Maria, who was reading the news in the Evening Standard with two neighbours.

            She bought her flat two years ago for a sum she was unwilling to disclose. “We paid a lot of money to live here, and we worked hard for it. Now these people are going to come along, and they won’t even be paying the service charge.
            Yes, because this is the thing that is unfair about the whole situation.

            Comment


              I wish Maria many Bad Days. And bankruptcy, homelessness, destitution, serious illness and an early pauper's grave.

              Comment


                Fuck off, Maria.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  I wish Maria many Bad Days. And bankruptcy, homelessness, destitution, serious illness and an early pauper's grave.
                  What about an entirely preventable fire that kills scores of your neighbours and leaves you homeless with only the clothes you stand in. Get some fucking perspective Maria.

                  When I heard this being reported I was shocked by the use of the word luxury in all that I heard.

                  Comment


                    Well since evil evil Nicholas Ridley abolished the minimum space requirements for private housing that still apply for social, these luxury flats are usually built to a lower standard and with less space than the old concrete schemes they despise. Fuckin rabbit warrens with no soundproofing, but gated away from the plebs. It's the segregation and security, no excruciating Mark Corrigan vs the feral kids moments occurring, that's what poorly rendered and finished Luxury signifies.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-06-2017, 00:13.

                    Comment


                      So the question of what might be the best way of building an open, more tolerant society ultimately comes down to 'how do you solve a problem like Maria?'

                      Comment


                        [applause]

                        Comment


                          Council chief executive has resigned. Possibly booted out by Sajid Javid.

                          Comment


                            Apparently similar cladding is used on around 600 high-rises in the UK (or possibly just England?).

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                              Apparently similar cladding is used on around 600 high-rises in the UK (or possibly just England?).
                              Government have now withdrawn this figure, this is a shambles but with people's lives at stake you'd think they'd get it right.

                              Comment


                                Absolutely.

                                Comment


                                  Not that it's the most important thing here, but what's happened to "the triborough"? 3 boroughs, K&C, Westminster and H&F, were supposed to be pooling services. There was some apparently ad hoc work in the immediate aftermath of the fire but not heard anything about it. Once the Tories list H&F I suppose it was going to come under pressure, but anyhow. You'd expect to see more of it.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    Well since evil evil Nicholas Ridley abolished the minimum space requirements for private housing that still apply for social, these luxury flats are usually built to a lower standard and with less space than the old concrete schemes they despise. Fuckin rabbit warrens with no soundproofing, but gated away from the plebs. It's the segregation and security, no excruciating Mark Corrigan vs the feral kids moments occurring, that's what poorly rendered and finished Luxury signifies.
                                    Not even security so much. Always a Mark Corrigan to let the burglar in the front door out of social embarrassment.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                      Not that it's the most important thing here, but what's happened to "the triborough"? 3 boroughs, K&C, Westminster and H&F, were supposed to be pooling services. There was some apparently ad hoc work in the immediate aftermath of the fire but not heard anything about it. Once the Tories list H&F I suppose it was going to come under pressure, but anyhow. You'd expect to see more of it.
                                      Iirc that agreement ended last year.

                                      Comment


                                        Seems like it's being formally wound up now. Westminster issued notice to pull out at the end of April this year.

                                        https://www.westminster.gov.uk/tri-borough-announcement

                                        I think there's a case for the GLA overseeing more stuff, but it would need reforming from being a weak check on the Mayor.

                                        Comment


                                          7 out of 600 flats that have cladding have so far been found to have the same type as at Grenfell.

                                          Surely Rydon, the company that has carried out the work at some of these locations, can provide a list of what cladding was used at what location. From the sound of it either they haven't or they haven't been asked to.

                                          Comment


                                            That's probably what they're doing, isn't it? Rydon has turnover of 270m, and seems to do a fair bit of different stuff, not just refurbishing tower blocks. Maybe the only ones they know about for sure are the Rydon ones, and it could be far more? That would, I presume take a lot of time to go through all the cladding jobs everywhere.

                                            Comment


                                              Grimly echoing the way the numbers of casualties rose.

                                              Number of tower blocks on which combustible cladding found rises to 11

                                              The number of high-rise blocks of flats found to have combustible cladding similar to that used on Grenfell Tower has risen to 11, across eight local authority areas in England, the communities and local government secretary, Sajid Javid, has said in a letter to MPs.

                                              Comment


                                                If Camden council are telling the truth about their reclads, Rydon is soon to go the way of Occidental Oil post Piper Alpha, surely.

                                                Comment


                                                  No criminal charges. A slight rebrand and tiny tears contrition. Lessons Learned. Murderers. Unlawful killings that will continue for decades, if the suicides and death by drink of so many survivors of Piper Alpha (and so it passeth down through the generations also as partners and kids deal with new trauma) and pitiful state support is a guide for post Grenfell.. This is a rotten state, I see no reason to think the first inquiry won't be a whitewash. 25 years or maybe never to get proper answers.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-06-2017, 20:50.

                                                  Comment


                                                    https://nearlylegal.co.uk/aftereffects/

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X