No announcement yet.

Grenfell flats fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stardust in Dublin early 80s. Teenage disco, carpets on the walls and ceiling, emergency doors chained shut, an inferno. They spent years blaming the victims and making sure the FF connected owners never faced chokey, let alone a fine.

What's the bets the same is repeated here? That poor bastard and his fridge will probably be getting death threats now thanks to the fucking Sun.

Comment

Yes

The two US analogues that I thought of immediately were Happy Land in the Bronx (87 dead) and Cocoanut Grove in Boston (492 dead) each of which resulted in major changes to building regulations and inspection procedures.

Comment

I'm a bit scared what the robocops and kettling fucks will do if the protests are massive and unruly for the march on Whitehall. The polis weren't tooled up in 2011 (and noone was attacking the power centre). I'm sure there will be plenty around this weekend.

Comment

In the midst of the immense sh*tness of this whole tragedy, I sincerely hope that anger will not erupt to the point of rioting in London tonight or any night this weekend. Christ knows people are angry as f*ck, but if there's anyone who doesn't deserve to be dealing with the impact of anger overflowing right now, it's the police, fire and ambulance services.

We just need to be patient and give sufficient space to those investigating whilst applying sufficient pressure on those in authority to ensure nobody gets off the hook. Breaking into town halls and scaring the shit out of admin workers gets us nowhere.

Comment

What Steve said.

There's got to be much more appealing for calm from anybody with any kind of positive influence. More people could get killed.

Comment

It's due to be horribly hot and muggy in London this weekend, isn't it? Please god everywhere doesn't end up like Sal's pizzeria.

Comment

Sorry if already posted:

Volunteers for Grenfell:
                To register for volunteer work, please send an email to grenfellvolunteers@rbkc.gov.uk supplying your name, contact details, availability and any skills you can offer. They'll contact you to let you know where you're needed.

Comment

So, what is the US Libertarian take on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    I have to say, I have been more upset over this than the recent terrorist attacks in London and Manchester. Not because I'm callous or anything, but we can't really stop terrorist attacks. Grenfell should never have been allowed to happen.
                    I feel the same way. Peter Ackroyd made the point that London is really a collection of villages, and Notting Hill was my village. I never lived anywhere else in the five and a half years I lived in the city, and generally stay there with friends when I visit. Though it was many years ago this hurts. More, I suspect, than if it were elsewhere. I'm not sure there's another London village that's undergone such dramatic and extreme gentrification as Notting Hill and, now, North Kensington in the past decades. In the early seventies (when I was a resident) The Gate meant hippies and Jamaican migrants, plus a fair amount of empty housing on the Western edge where Latimer Road is. These days the one room flat I shared on Ladbroke Road is probably in a house worth eight figures, while Grenfell appears to be on the current dividing line between rich and poor. It's clear from almost all the interviews I've heard and read from residents this unequal polarisation is an ever present, and overwhelmingly informs local attitudes as it must, and should. It's heartbreaking on so many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      May has announced £5 million of aid and said all residents would be housed locally, meaning children could go to the same school as before.
                      As one of the protesters was quick to point out, the cladding and refurb cost £10m. Too late, Theresa, way too late, this should have been stumped up on Wednesday, with no cap.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

You beat me to it. Here's the entire vile article:
                        https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...don-tower-fire

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

McArdle?

Comment

I wish there was a hell where Megan McCardle could suffer a rigorous cost/profit analysis for eternity. What a piece of shit
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-06-2017, 18:26.

Comment

David Gauke MP in a car crash of an interview on Channel 4 News, but it should be May and those in real positions of power being enough to face the media.

May gave one interview made available to all of the press. She's going to be gone before the end of the month unless she does something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                I wish there was a hell where Megan McCardle could suffer a rigorous cost/profit analysis for eternity. What a piece of shit
                                That hell would have sprinklers in it, unlike those poor people who died in a 1000°C inferno.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
                                  As one of the protesters was quick to point out, the cladding and refurb cost £10m. Too late, Theresa, way too late, this should have been stumped up on Wednesday, with no cap.
                                  In fairness, there was already money, under an established process called Bellwin Money, announced by Sajid Javid yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellwin_scheme

Comment

According to Lily Allen the EDL have turned up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lilyallen...72721103343616

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      I'm a bit scared what the robocops and kettling fucks will do if the protests are massive and unruly for the march on Whitehall. The polis weren't tooled up in 2011 (and noone was attacking the power centre). I'm sure there will be plenty around this weekend.
                                      Sadly, reports suggest the SWP have hijacked proceedings.

Comment

The Mail have stuck up a "this is the darkie whose fridge started the fire, look at him in a pub smiling" tweet.

That's appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                          Almost as bad as Tommy Robinson it's those rape apologists and their disgusting typeface moronic slogan cause leeching placards. Fuck the fuck off youse bastards. Richard Boyd Barrett of the Irish branch office (strangely PBP is ever quiet on their agreed Party position on the Northern Question) is probably the best of them. And he's just. Awful.

Now Corbyn has real authority, and mass active membership (the Nats by comparison ran a volunteer light threadbare campaign with reportedly only 10,000 active campaigners from a membership of 120,000- not much better than SLab) behind him, he has to ditch any association, any assistance from those useless and dangerous bastards. No need for the pricks ever again.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-06-2017, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                            I take the view that whenever the SWP get involved in a cause it instantly loses credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              The Mail have stuck up a "this is the darkie whose fridge started the fire, look at him in a pub smiling" tweet.

That's appalling.
                                              It was on their website earlier.

Comment

Staggering to think that 72 hours ago those residents went to bed safe in their flats and what has happened since.

Comment

protest seems to be petering out, according to the Grauniad.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                    Staggering to think that 72 hours ago those residents went to bed safe in their flats and what has happened since.
                                                    Many of them knew they weren't safe and when they complained they were treated as annoyances.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X